New Q220, not loving life

Chris S Lewis

TVWBB Fan
Ok,

I'm bumming even more after reading some of these posts and hearing folks rave about their Qs. I purchased a new Q220 about 3 months ago, with the 20 lb tank hose and stand, not a cheap purchase. It was to supplement my 22 inch one touch and my WSM. I really prefer charcoal but sometimes gas is just faster and easier.

Well, I have yet to have a good experience cooking on it. My biggest issue is that the thing just doesn't get hot enough. I can't char a steak on it and even hamburgers and hot dogs are disappointing (no grill marks and just looking, I don't know, like they were microwaved?). I read somewhere to open the propane tank valve and wait a few minutes before opening the valve on the grill and lighting, hasn't really made a difference.

The fold out tables on the side can't support more then about a pound, certainly would not trust it with a plate with food on it. They've got a very cheap feel.

I don't consider myself a complainer but this thing has been very disappointing. I no longer use it (well, actually, I now use it to put my charcoal chimney starter on) and will likely replace it with a Spirit or Genesis, which in hind sight would only have been about $100 more.

Am I the only one with a bad Q experience? Was I expecting too much?

Am I doing something wrong???

Ok,

I'm bumming even more after reading some of these posts and hearing folks rave about their Qs. I purchased a new Q220 about 3 months ago, with the 20 lb tank hose and stand, not a cheap purchase. It was to supplement my 22 inch one touch and my WSM. I really prefer charcoal but sometimes gas is just faster and easier.

Well, I have yet to have a good experience cooking on it. My biggest issue is that the thing just doesn't get hot enough. I can't char a steak on it and even hamburgers and hot dogs are disappointing (no grill marks and just looking, I don't know, like they were microwaved?). I read somewhere to open the propane tank valve and wait a few minutes before opening the valve on the grill and lighting, hasn't really made a difference.

The fold out tables on the side can't support more then about a pound, certainly would not trust it with a plate with food on it. They've got a very cheap feel.

I don't consider myself a complainer but this thing has been very disappointing. I no longer use it (well, actually, I now use it to put my charcoal chimney starter on) and will likely replace it with a Spirit or Genesis, which in hind sight would only have been about $100 more.

Am I the only one with a bad Q experience? Was I expecting too much?

Am I doing something wrong???

Here's some advice I gave to another member in this thread: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?24474-New-To-Me-Weber-Q200

Make sure you follow the recommended lighting procedures for a 20lb propane tank. With the cover open...

1. Make sure the propane tank and heat control knob are set to off.
2. Slowly turn on the gas at the tank.
3. Wait a minute.
4. Turn the grill heat control knob to start.
5. Press the ignition button until the burner starts to flame.
6. Close the lid and allow the grill to warm up.

If you don't leave sufficient time between opening the tank and setting the grill to start, the hose from the tank to the regulator doesn't fill properly and you won't be able to get the grill very hot and you won't notice any difference between low and high.

Bill

I regret getting a Genesis because my Q200 cooks sooo much better. You either need to follow the procedure for opening the tank (must be done S L O W L Y... learned that the hard way) or maybe it has a screwed up regulator.

Thanks for the replies. First, I was mistaken, it's a @200, no thermometer. And I have tired Bill's starting procedure. Not liking Dan's comment about the Genesis, if it's worse than this Q then I don't know what to do for a gas grill.

have you tried a small propane bottle?
My first thoughts too.
It could be a bad regulator if a bottle doesn't bring it up in temp.
Even if not under warranty, Weber will probably replace the regulator for free, they did for me for my 220.

Thanks for the replies. First, I was mistaken, it's a @200, no thermometer. And I have tired Bill's starting procedure. Not liking Dan's comment about the Genesis, if it's worse than this Q then I don't know what to do for a gas grill.

Chris,

I'm sorry to hear that the start up procedure didn't work for you. Every other time I've recommended starting this way it's fixed the problem. The next thing to look at is the regulator. Call Weber support to get a new one. I've had a Q200 and a Q220 for about four years and I've been nothing but happy with them. I can easily get them up to 500* and get beautiful grill marks on all my food. It's a workhorse and if you're not getting good results I'd say it's a 90% chance a defect in your specific grill. When you get this problem fixed you're gonna be very happy with the Q200.

Bill

Chris,

I'm sorry to hear that the start up procedure didn't work for you. Every other time I've recommended starting this way it's fixed the problem. The next thing to look at is the regulator. Call Weber support to get a new one. I've had a Q200 and a Q220 for about four years and I've been nothing but happy with them. I can easily get them up to 500* and get beautiful grill marks on all my food. It's a workhorse and if you're not getting good results I'd say it's a 90% chance a defect in your specific grill. When you get this problem fixed you're gonna be very happy with the Q200.

Bill

Agreed. With one exception.... The side tables.

I have had issues with certain 20lb tanks as well. When I got one that worked well I opted to refill vs exchange.
The other thing that worked for me was to slightly open the valve on the tank until pressure built up in the line, then I would SLOWLY open the tank the rest of the way.
There were times where I had to "purge" the lines a bunch of times until I got the tank going good. You should be able to hear the safety kick on. If you hear a click shortly after you light the grill, turn off the tank, wait for the safety to reset, turn the knob to the off position, slowly open the valve and try again.
I am rambling now.... Going to bed.

That's interesting about the side tables as well. Mine will easily support a platter with a couple of t-bones - maybe 5 pounds total. My Q220 and my Char Q each are about 3 years old. I wonder if Weber has changed the thickness of the plastic on the tables? I am crazy about all of my Webers - clearly evidenced by the number of them that have taken up residence here, at the lake and at the farm - but I have been concerned since the family sold the majority stake in the company that "manufacturing efficiencies" have been undertaken in an effort to be more competitive price-wise with the cut rate grills sold in the big box stores haven't begun to erode the legendary quality we all have come to respect and admire in America's iconic grills.

Pat

That's interesting about the side tables as well. Mine will easily support a platter with a couple of t-bones - maybe 5 pounds total. My Q220 and my Char Q each are about 3 years old. I wonder if Weber has changed the thickness of the plastic on the tables? I am crazy about all of my Webers - clearly evidenced by the number of them that have taken up residence here, at the lake and at the farm - but I have been concerned since the family sold the majority stake in the company that "manufacturing efficiencies" have been undertaken in an effort to be more competitive price-wise with the cut rate grills sold in the big box stores haven't begun to erode the legendary quality we all have come to respect and admire in America's iconic grills.

Pat

Pat, I am 100% certain that if I put a platter with 2 t-bones on the side tables of my Q I'd have some really happy dogs because those steaks would hit the ground but pronto. They are very flimsy and will not hold any weight at all. My entire Q experience has me REALLY rethinking Weber in general and believe me in the past 35 years I have owned, and been happy with, many of their products.

Hello and hold your horses....

Q200 has somewhat flimsy tables but they hold enough weight for their size. No hard fellings but did you check the grill in person or just buy it?? Regarding the heat I am regulary using all the Q sizes. While Q200 has a bit less of power becouse of lower heater/size ratio than the other two it is hot enough for searing after some 15 minutes of preheating on full - that grates are good. Just place it in to a wind shielded position and check if it is in OK working condition. Also if you want to sear both sizes allways reserve a unused spot of the grate for the second side becouse the spot where you seared the first side did it job allready. Also clean your thermometer probe after every use for accurate reading every time. I would also say that with a higher lid the Q220 will need longer prehating. If all fails call Weber and for sure they will save the situation if grill is broken.

So grab a couple of beers and preheat that grill and don't worry about the tables too much.

Peter H.

Chris, if you get fed up, let me know. I will cut your losses and take that Q200 off of your hands. Football season is coming up and my tailgate grill now lives at my daughters house in Auburn. I could use a replacement.

Pat

Okay, I opened the propane tank VERY slowly this evening, could hear the gas rushing into the line, waited about 2 minutes and then lite the grill. Seemed like it got pretty hot. Kind of hard to tell because I was using it to cook 50 littlenecks but it did the job rather well. Maybe all is not lost. Still not liking the side tables....

Okay, I opened the propane tank VERY slowly this evening, could hear the gas rushing into the line, waited about 2 minutes and then lite the grill. Seemed like it got pretty hot. Kind of hard to tell because I was using it to cook 50 littlenecks but it did the job rather well. Maybe all is not lost. Still not liking the side tables....

Glad to see the start up process may be working out for you after all. Give it a try with something other than delicate sea food and let us know how it goes. Also, be sure to give the grill time to warm up. At least 10 minutes is needed to get you to full temp.

Bill

I will second the idea of letting it warm up for a least 10 minutes or even more.
guy

Update;

Cooked some burgers last night and they came out pretty well. I started the same as I did the previous night. The biggest trick appears to be opening the propane tank valve VERY slowly and yes, letting the grill pre-heat for a good 15-20 minutes.

I guess my bottom line is that this just isn't the grill for me. I can have a chimney starter of lump charcoal ready in less than 15 minutes. I purchased this grill in hopes of having something I could fire up quick and easy. This thing is anything but quick and easy in fact it's rather finicky. It is handy for it's portability but I already have a Smokey Joe. Shame on me for not doing a little more research before purchasing.

And Pat, thanks for the offer but I will hang on to this thing. It might come in handy once in a while.

And thanks to everyone else for their tips and suggestions. Thanks for listening.

Chris

I'm pretty happy with mine. I'm sorry your having so much trouble with yours. I mostly use my Q220 for either for fish (where I don't want smoke flavor) at home or for tailgating. Otherwise I'm grilling on one of my kettles.

That said, I'm surprised that it takes 15-20 minutes to heat up. I find that about 10-12 minutes gets the job done for me vs. 20-25 minutes to get a charcoal chimney going. Although the food tastes better with charcoal.

I took the 220 to a Jimmy Buffet concert tailgate, started it up and then brought the temp down to low and left it running. Then anytime I wanted to grill I turned turned the heat up and was ready to go in a minute. It used very little fuel considering it was running for about 10 hours non stop. And the food was great. I made kielbasa, grilled shrimp, cheeseburgers (in paradise), and chicken breasts. Needless to say I was very popular.

I hope you can figure out where the problems lie. I think when you do, you'll find your Q200 to be a very useful grill.

Bill

Bill, your Parrot Head story is exactly why I'm keeping it. The grill definitely has it's place. It's just not what I was expecting.

Back