New Owner

Poultry needs very little smoke. It tends to suck it up like a sponge I just use one wood chunk for turkey.

Do yourself a favor and just smoke a turkey breast. Takes about 1.5-2 hours at 350. Pull it when you're 150 and let it rest covered. The rest of the turkey is just a waste unless you're feeding dogs with it. Every minute above 150 juices are pouring out of that turkey by the time it gets to 165 it's dry as a desert
Your a little late. 😜 whole turkey smoked and came out delicious. It was a hit with the fam! I love dark meat so I would never want just the breast.

I was reading about Harry Soo’s method of putting his smoke wood under the coals on the bottom of the ring. I started doing it as a test and, I have become a convert! Especially if i use barrel stave pieces they lay nicely and leave plenty of room for a full charge of charcoal. Then with the sidewinder minion method, I have found I really don’t need to do much aside from adjust vents a little, if needed.
can’t help with the gap issues aside from just let get seasoned up for a few cooks. And see how things settle in.
I really like that method when I first saw it but the longer the cook the higher the temp goes because the coals expand outward igniting more and more as time goes by. I’m hoping I can solve this by getting my smoker sealed better because I really like that method and it’s easy to set up.

I’ve not had any issues with any massive increase of temp as the fire crawls across, once the air intake adjusted, it stays pretty even on my 18. I wonder if maybe it’s because I don’t actually use a dozen hot coals but simply light an edge with a torch.

I’ve not had any issues with any massive increase of temp as the fire crawls across, once the air intake adjusted, it stays pretty even on my 18. I wonder if maybe it’s because I don’t actually use a dozen hot coals but simply light an edge with a torch.
Good to know… I’m sure it’s just my newness and unsealed smoker. I didn’t really doubt the method because it’s Soo’s method, it was just my first time running my smoker and that’s how it went.

Good to know… I’m sure it’s just my newness and unsealed smoker. I didn’t really doubt the method because it’s Soo’s method, it was just my first time running my smoker and that’s how it went.
Remember it's a New shiny smoker. The More you use it the More sealed up / seasoned it gets. All wsm or smokers tend to run a bit Hot when New! There's alternative door's out there also. Though I've never used them I Just manually bend door to fit snug

Remember it's a New shiny smoker. The More you use it the More sealed up / seasoned it gets. All wsm or smokers tend to run a bit Hot when New! There's alternative door's out there also. Though I've never used them I Just manually bend door to fit snug
I’ve tried bending but I can’t seem to get it right. I’ve seen very mixed reviews about the after market doors.

on my 22, bending the door only got me so far. I added gasket to the door and never had an issue. Never needed any other mod.

Last edited:

Back