New Owner (Almost)

JesseG

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

I have been wanting a WSM for quite some time now, I already own a performer and a genesis so I was feeling guilty trying to justify another $400+ Expenditure. I saw a buddy of mine post a pic of a smoked brisket on Monday night and decided oh well I can't hold off any longer this would be my Christmas/Bday gift to myself. I looked online till about 4am that night trying to find it somewhere locally because I hat ordering online and waiting for shipping. Found one in stock at Cabella's about an hour away. I woke up on Christmas Eve at 7:45am after going to sleep at 5am because I was too excited and wanted my hands on that baby. On my way to the store I found out there was a 2014 model and was praying that Cabella's had the 2014. Upon my arrival I was heartbroken, the WSM that was looking me in the eye was a 2013 :( . After much debate with myself I decided to hold off and order the 2014 online through HD. Figured if I'm going to spend $400 on a smoker, might as well be the newest one. Since then I've been trolling the forums in envy. I also ordered the DigiQ DX2, I am a complete newbie at smoking so I am anxiously looking forward to this learning experience/journey.

Sorry for the long story, had to share it with someone as I'm avoiding my wife so hopefully she will forget that I spent so much on my new toys...lol

What's would you suggest that I attempt to smoke for my 1st couple of cooks so that I get comfortable with the process? More forgiving meat I guess.

Any valuable newbie tips?

What are the best rubs available for purchase for Ribs, Brisket etc? I will dive into the homemade rubs/marinades as I get more settled.

Welcome to the site Jesse.

I would start with a pork butt and check out the link that Tim provided.

Welcome Jesse glad to have ya' on the site! I second what Tony said...pork butt, then ribs, then chicken, then...well you get the idea :)

Welcome Jesse! I was kind of in the same position as you, having smoked quite a bit the past couple of years using my Weber kettles w/Smokenator, & obtaining great results! But; I decided to buy the WSM 22.5 for added flexibility, & space. I smoked 2 half hams (ready to cook) on Christmas Eve, and the results were excellent! One, I glazed (apricot glaze recipe found here), & on the other, we used a mustard base & dry rub.
Next week; ribs!

You will love the WSM. :)

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Definitely a shoulder first. Then you can portion and freeze it so you can eat it later while smoking whatever you do next! ;)

Welcome to the family.

Personally, I'm A-OK with ~not~ having the '14 model. The only difference is the additional of the silicone grommet for probes and handles on the lower cooking grate. I'm a huge fan of the slot/notch modification and I wasn't concerned with taking a grinder to either one of the '13 model WSM's. To me, the slot/notch is easier to use than grommets. Having built-in handles on the lower cooking grate would be nice, but using 2 U-bolts works just fine.

For your first cook... While I love pork butts, and make that often, it's a commitment of time. You're looking at 12 hours. I made my first WSM cook chicken for lunch and ribs for dinner. Fired up the smoker in the morning and it ran all day. I was still cooking for 7-8 hours on the same load of charcoal, but 2 different meats.

I highly recommend reading Gary's book. It'll give you a great knowledge base, but take come of his stuff with a grain of salt.
(example - this forum and all the love our Maverick ET-732 thermometer)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0762436093/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

Yes welcome. What ever you decide to cook will be awesome and you will love your WSM. I see you bought the digiQ which you will love as well. Only advise I would give you is to maybe do a couple cooks early on without the digiQ. This will show you how easy the WSM is for temp control and in case your digiQ goes down or no power.

I will follow Tony's recommendation on the pork butt not only is it a get cook and fogiving but it is a great way to season the smoker.
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new to be smoker.

I just sold my 18 to my buddy, and when my new 22 gets here, I'm going to cook what ever suits my fancy. It'll run hot at first, but as long as you know that, you'll be ok. Have fun gunking it up!

Back