New Members

Ya know I started the whole thing in a friendly manner and it's sad it's taken as otherwise. I truly believe I was very clear about that. Even mentioning specifics on how that helped with Bruce and I and Jon and I coming together on a couple items traded, Help offered on parts needed and so on. IDK what anyone things is going to happen to them if an area is given? Bottom line the tone this has taken makes me sorry I even brought it up

The first thing that came to my mind was the old “smoke day map”, I always enjoyed that. I guess that wouldn’t be acceptable anymore. 🙁
3C5A36F3-0E24-4DFA-AEAF-C86505A1B196.jpeg

Between that discussion and this thread about new members, the subtext from the old timers is plain and clear. I have gotten along for many years without this website, and this website has gotten along just fine for many years without me. Some sites encourage new members while others browbeat them. Sorry to have been an interloper.

@EmoryG: You're a new and valued contributor. Sometimes, folks have a thought--probably with good intentions--but aren't able to anticipate the many ways in which it might affect or be interpreted by others. I also regret that some posts in other thread you referenced popped-up at a time that closely coincided with your membership. We live, breathe, and interact with others on a daily basis whose personalities and thought processes vary widely from ours while, at the same time, we likely share much in common among those with whom we engage.

You are here and appreciated because we share a very common interest in how we prepare our meals. Your note is a reminder to me that Chris is the site owner and it is not my place to encourage a site change but if I ever feel compelled to offer a recommendation, perhaps a private message would be a better approach.

Ahhh, I think the public discussion was productive and useful, really. I hope no one is going away upset over the comments, but there is usually two or more sides to every issue. We pretty much hashed it out here over the last couple days. It was a thought someone had and many felt it had merit. Others pushed back. No big deal. No one was harmed. But we we all able to provide input if we wished.
I don't expect any forum rules to change over this, but we can leave it as an invitation to maybe update your profile if you feel it might help you with your interactions on the forum.

If nothing else, the suggestion and subsequent discussion here has prompted me to review my info. Upstate NY is what it was and Upstate NY is what it will remain. For anyone in NYC, they will assume I must live in Poughkeepsie (and will fully understand this NYS inside joke). For the rest of us, Upstate NY refers to areas north of the state capital in Albany such as Saratoga, Lake George, and the beautiful Adirondacks.

If nothing else, the suggestion and subsequent discussion here has prompted me to review my info. Upstate NY is what it was and Upstate NY is what it will remain. For anyone in NYC, they will assume I must live in Poughkeepsie (and will fully understand this NYS inside joke). For the rest of us, Upstate NY refers to areas north of the state capital in Albany such as Saratoga, Lake George, and the beautiful Adirondacks.
I call CNY where I live now, near SYR

Going more to new members but others as well. When we look at your location info, and see something totally generic i.e. Illinois. It's kinda useless. Unless you live in Rhode Island which isn't much bigger than my home county in IL it's pretty useless especially if you're looking for regional advice or help. At least put an "area". I.E., county city, regional area.
Maybe Chris won't want this post in this thread area but, it's where I see more of the new members crop up
I changed my location to help others on this forum, and thanks to those who have helped me.

Ya know I started the whole thing in a friendly manner and it's sad it's taken as otherwise. I truly believe I was very clear about that. Even mentioning specifics on how that helped with Bruce and I and Jon and I coming together on a couple items traded, Help offered on parts needed and so on. IDK what anyone things is going to happen to them if an area is given? Bottom line the tone this has taken makes me sorry I even brought it up
You’re too emotionally attached to your thoughts. It makes sense in your head, doesn’t in mine, and you can’t be bothered to clear it up without getting offended??

My god guy, relax. 🤣

In your honor, I think I’ll change mine to “West of the Mississippi”

It is not you guys I worry about its the scammers who get on to just annoy people that bother me, is the reason I only Post Texas. I know you all mean well but not everyone does.

It is not you guys I worry about its the scammers who get on to just annoy people that bother me, is the reason I only Post Texas. I know you all mean well but not everyone does.
Ya do know that anyone who wants to can just about find your physical address from your posts anywhere you go online (here included). So thinking you're hiding from anyone is a farce.

When someone just lists USA and asks for help diagnosing a temp or fuel usage, etc, problem, that makes it harder to give an answer or guess.
Wow, how did this get so difficult? Larry made a reasonable suggestion, offered one reason and I think timothy's above are even better -- and very appropriate in most areas. I've already agreed with Larry that pretty much anyone can get almost any information about us they want. Using TVWB "location" is not going to add anything. But knowing a little more can help us understand weather, elevation, cost of living and ease of access and probably other things. My part of NC is very different than coastal or mountain NC. I'm proud of my affiliation with Chapel Hill, but you would have a hard time locating me since half the state is south. How about less fault finding here folks and just let us know what you think is reasonable for you. I don't really think Larry asked for more than that. Damn, how did this become a soapbox?

@EmoryG, I hope you are still around -- I've enjoyed reading about your efforts. I don't know what you found that was upsetting, but I hardly think it was in this thread. Years ago, I joined a different forum and was promptly jumped on and beat up over what I still think was nothing. I got no positive replies. Yes, I dumped that forum. I've seen a number of positive responses to your posts. Do I think it could be helpful or just interesting to know you are on 2000 miles of coastline, in the mountains, north or south, in the Valley, yes? But California works also.

I am back to respond. Allow me to point out the obvious:
  • The subject of this thread is "New Members".
    • Is it even possible to be more plain and clear about who are the targets?
    • To me, "New Members" means people who recently joined the website.
      • Noted: The text in the post says "others as well", but you have to open the thread to see that.
    • If the thread were targeted at all members equally, then the subject might have been, "How a More Precise Location Can Help You Here" or "The Value of Sharing a More Precise Location" or nearly anything other than "New Members".
  • The thread came from an old timer who does not moderate or administer this website.
    • That member has been here for a decade.
    • They have over 11,000 posts here.
    • From my perspective, they belong to the essential core of long time active members who have known each other for years.
  • In the short time I have been here, there was another recent discussion about the trouble caused by new members and how to deal with them.
    • I did not take that one personally, but did post a reply in that thread.
    • It exposed the bias that some active members have about new members.
  • Finally, this thread feels personal. Yes, that interpretation is subjective.
    • I am the very definition of a new member. I have been here only a few weeks.
    • I have been far more active than other new members in that same brief period.
    • My location is precisely as described in the original post.
    • It was posted in the gas grill forum, where I was most active.
      • Did the new members who became active in the Charcoal Kettle, SmokeFire, Q, or Portable forums all provide better locations?
      • Why wan't it posted in the Introduce Yourself forum, which would have been far more appropriate?
    • This thread was aimed at current new members.
      • Future new members will never see this thread after it goes dormant, scrolls off, and disappears out of sight. Someone who has been here for a decade and posted over 11,000 times would know that.
      • If this thread had a proper title and had been helpful, the administrator could have made it a sticky in the Introduce Yourself forum. This is just useless newbie bashing that will scroll off and disappear.
I can't leave entirely. I have the old Genesis to deal with. Nevertheless, it has been made clear that I do not fit in here. I had ongoing projects to document our experiences and lessons learned with our new 2022 Genesis and the Weber Crafted accessories that we bought for it. I halted them. They will never see the light of day. I will invest my time and effort elsewhere, where the content that I create stands on its own and is valued without asking me to expose additional personal and private information. Sorry to be a downer, but does that make it clear?

Last edited:
I am back to respond. Allow me to point out the obvious:
  • The subject of this thread is "New Members".
    • Is it even possible to be more plain and clear about who are the targets?
    • To me, "New Members" means people who recently joined the website.
      • Noted: The text in the post says "others as well", but you have to open the thread to see that.
    • If the thread were targeted at all members equally, then the subject might have been, "How a More Precise Location Can Help You Here" or "The Value of Sharing a More Precise Location" or nearly anything other than "New Members".
  • The thread came from an old timer who does not moderate or administer this website.
    • That member has been here for a decade.
    • They have over 11,000 posts here.
    • From my perspective, they belong to the essential core of long time active members who have known each other for years.
  • In the short time I have been here, there was another recent discussion about the trouble caused by new members and how to deal with them.
    • I did not take that one personally, but did post a reply in that thread.
    • It exposed the bias that some active members have about new members.
  • Finally, this thread feels personal. Yes, that interpretation is subjective.
    • I am the very definition of a new member. I have been here only a few weeks.
    • I have been far more active than other new members in that same brief period.
    • My location is precisely as described in the original post.
    • It was posted in the gas grill forum, where I was most active.
      • Did the new members who became active in the Charcoal Kettle, SmokeFire, Q, or Portable forums all provide better locations?
      • Why wan't it posted in the Introduce Yourself forum, which would have been far more appropriate?
    • This thread was aimed at current new members.
      • Future new members will never see this thread after it goes dormant, scrolls off, and disappears out of sight. Someone who has been here for a decade and posted over 11,000 times would know that.
      • If this thread had a proper title and had been helpful, the administrator could have made it a sticky in the Introduce Yourself forum. This is just useless newbie bashing that will scroll off and disappear.
I can't leave entirely. I have the old Genesis to deal with. Nevertheless, it has been made clear that I do not fit in here. I had ongoing projects to document our experiences and lessons learned with our new 2022 Genesis and the Weber Crafted accessories that we bought for it. I halted them. They will never see the light of day. I will invest my time and effort elsewhere, where the content that I create stands on its own and is valued without asking me to expose additional personal and private information. Sorry to be a downer, but does that make it clear?
Totally clear but I wish you would reconsider your stance and stay with us.

Back