New Member of the Smokefire 2 Year Club

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Today marks the two year anniversary of my Smokefire ownership. Like many of you, I wondered if I was making a mistake. Like many of you I had researched the grill online and followed the struggles of owners here on The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. I had researched a lot. I thought I knew what I was getting into with this new design. I didn't have a clue and thus began an intense learning period. I removed the hopper finger guard and put UHMW tape on the long slope floor in the pellet hopper. That greatly reduced the flameout problem but I was always looking forward to the next update of the software. I ran tests and studied the start sequence with the internals removed so I could watch the fire pot. I've had a lot of fun experimenting with the grill. It's not perfect, and can be temperamental, but the capabilities and flavor it puts into meat are very hard to compete with. The software will continue to improve and I think that's the key to Smokefire popularity. Here it is with the heavily modified Camp Chef DLX it replaced.
Movng Up.JPG

Thats great that you persevered and didn't give up like so many others did. With that said I hope you have many more anniversaries with your smokefire.
I didn't realize how big that puppy is until I saw that picture of the camp chef next to it. Your CC is the same size as mine.

Thats great that you persevered and didn't give up like so many others did. With that said I hope you have many more anniversaries with your smokefire.
I didn't realize how big that puppy is until I saw that picture of the camp chef next to it. Your CC is the same size as mine.
Thanks Rich. Your reaction to the size is exactly how I felt when I put them side to side. The EX6 is a beast. Here it is next to the EX4.Smokefire Family.jpg

Thanks Rich. Your reaction to the size is exactly how I felt when I put them side to side. The EX6 is a beast. Here it is next to the EX4.View attachment 54250
I think it's been about a year and a half since I've even seen one. They disappeared in all the stores in this area. The EX4 would be about the right size for Barb and me. Buy my CC is so reliable I just couldn't justify it.

Congratulations!!! Eleven more days will mark our two year anniversary. I know we’ve been extremely lucky, but in these nearly two years, hundreds of pounds of pellets and I’m sure hundreds of hours of use, we can count the problems we’ve experienced on one hand: it’s gone out on it’s own twice and once it wouldn’t light. I replaced the glow plug and was back in business. Took the original glow plug to the wire wheel and it’s working again. Its a tough call, but i can easily say this is my current favorite grill, we continue to love it!

Cheers

Congrats Lew! Closing in on 1yr 3 months on mine. I stopped tracking at 120 cooks, but I would guess that I'm around 140 or so now, and problems have been minimal, and mostly due to my intentional not cleaning semi torture test. Very happy with my purchase, glad you are as well.

Back