New member in NOVA - never smoked before

Steve Tiilikainen

TVWBB Member
... and after a lot of research this is where I ended up. I want to start off somewhere a little less challenging than an offset smoker, but that would still require me to learn how to manage a fire; something relatively inexpensive, but still worthy of being used in a competition setting. The fact that the WSM has an awesome internet community put me over the top.

I am going to be purchasing a 18.5". I'll mostly be cooking for my small family of 4, but will also want to start inviting friends over to eat what I cook as I learn. :) Here's what I'm planning on initially getting to begin with, besides the WSM:
  • Gloves, tongs, spatula, carving knife
  • Modifications (these come from this article and comments on it): Lavalock gasket, Cajun Bandit replacement door, extra charcoal grate (for lump charcoal efficiency), Lavalock Thermo Blanket, water pan cover, caster wheels; chimney starter; replacement stainless nuts and bolts
  • Some sort of wireless temperature probe and a handheld temperature probe (still need to do my research here)
Am I missing anything super obvious?

Thanks a lot for the welcome!

Welcome, Steve.

With all that you're going to buy to "improve" the WSM, contrast your total dollars spent and see if a Weber Summit Kamado would work for you.

I'm biased here and I'll be the first to admit it. But he WSK delivers a substantial value and it comes pre-baked with all you need to make good 'cue and then grilling too.

Either way, you're in the right place to play with food, smoke and fire. Ask away. There are many knowledgeable people here and a few clowns too; and they'll make you laugh, for sure.

Welcome Steve,

There's a wealth of knowledge here, and on the links at the top for the Virtual Weber Bullet.

have you considered a used WSM ? This one ticks a few of the upgrades and looks like it might be close to you.

1667435530286.png

A Thermoworks Thermapen One would be on the top of my list to suggest for a hand held instant read thermometer. They go on and off sale so register on their website and watch for notifications.

I also have a TW Smoke, and a Smoke X4. A Signals is on sale and is great if you like to have the temps on your phone or available for charting and all.

Good luck on your journey.

Do you have any other grills already? If not maybe look for a used Kettle.

Welcome Steve, glad you joined us.

The 18.5 WSM doesn't need much in the way of mods to be a great cooker. The first and maybe the only mod I would do is add the second charcoal grate and wire them together with the charcoal ring to essentially make a basket. Cheap and works fantastic. The original door on the 18.5 fits a lot better than the door on the 22.5 WSM. Therefore, you may not need to replace it at all and only a little bit of adjustment may be needed. Cook on it a while and then decide what it needs. If you want wheels, the triangular frame is the only way to roll. Gloves, tongs and a chimney starter are must have items. ThermoPro makes good thermometers if the Thermo Works are a bit too pricey. Hope this helps a little and saves you some pocket change.
And again, welcome to the forum.

Edit:
Oh, I like @DanHoo's idea of the Weber kettle also, if you don't already have one. Incredibly versatile!

Last edited:
Welcome Steve,

There's a wealth of knowledge here, and on the links at the top for the Virtual Weber Bullet.

have you considered a used WSM ? This one ticks a few of the upgrades and looks like it might be close to you.

View attachment 62032

A Thermoworks Thermapen One would be on the top of my list to suggest for a hand held instant read thermometer. They go on and off sale so register on their website and watch for notifications.

I also have a TW Smoke, and a Smoke X4. A Signals is on sale and is great if you like to have the temps on your phone or available for charting and all.

Good luck on your journey.

Do you have any other grills already? If not maybe look for a used Kettle.
Haha! Dan, based on your recommendation I spent three and a half hours in the car to pick this one up!

It has a hinge, the upgraded door, a Fire Dial, the improved thermometer, and a finer mesh charcoal grate that has been wired together.

It could definitely use a burn on high heat to clean it out. Any tips on that front? Other than that it’s in great shape. Now I just have to get some tools and utensils and figure out what I want as my first cook!

Haha! Dan, based on your recommendation I spent three and a half hours in the car to pick this one up!

It has a hinge, the upgraded door, a Fire Dial, the improved thermometer, and a finer mesh charcoal grate that has been wired together.

It could definitely use a burn on high heat to clean it out. Any tips on that front? Other than that it’s in great shape. Now I just have to get some tools and utensils and figure out what I want as my first cook!

Congrats.

@Chris Allingham has an entire section of the website devoted to cleanup maintenance and storage. I'm not the best one to ask about this as I tend to be a laggard when it comes to cleaning, and I only do a thorough clean when I'm selling a grill.

That said, you don't want to over-clean the WSM because the gunk will help it seal and that will be a key part of temp control.

Welcome, Steve. Honestly, a straight WSM will take you a long way. Grab one and cook on it for a bit. Then you'll figure out what you feel is missing. Here in NOVA, we don't tend to need a lot in the way of blankets/insulators. Your first and last bullets are what I'd recommend going with for starters. Then (maybe) think about the other stuff. The first (and probably cheapest) I'd consider is the extra grate. I have them on both my WSM and Performer and they are nice to have, but not required, if you plan to cook w/ lump. Light that new smoker up, throw a pork butt on there and let it do it's magic.

After talking with my wife, I think our first smokes are going to be a pork butt, a chuck roast (which will be done as a poor man's brisket), and a slab of spare ribs.

I'm headed out to a local BBQ supply store today (Dizzy Pig) to pick up some supplies and rubs! Super excited to start learning.

I was going to say the same as @JimK and then I saw you got a good deal etc.
Still, honestly, all I changed/added on my 14.5 wsm is another little bottom grid, thats perpendicular to the original. Not tied together, but the 14.5 is obviously a lot lighter than the 18.5
Anyway: as for first cooks: fatty or meat loaf is fine. Higher heat and smoke a chicken.
Don't fret it: you'll make something nice!
Remember the thermometer in the lid may be off, but don't worry if that one or another one swings. It is measuring air temperature. The meat lags behind big time
Relax, enjoy ;)

After talking with my wife, I think our first smokes are going to be a pork butt, a chuck roast (which will be done as a poor man's brisket), and a slab of spare ribs.

I'm headed out to a local BBQ supply store today (Dizzy Pig) to pick up some supplies and rubs! Super excited to start learning.
I love chuck roast on the WSM. My only suggestion would be to tie it together with meat twine as if it separates too much it will dry out. The twine will keep it all nicely together. Really that comment goes for other roasts as well. I also twine my whole chickens to keep them nice and moist (the wings and legs and helps protect the breasts).

We love smoked chuck roast nachos at my house! I also won the chili cook off at work with WSM smoked chuck roast!

Welcome, Steve.

With all that you're going to buy to "improve" the WSM, contrast your total dollars spent and see if a Weber Summit Kamado would work for you.

I'm biased here and I'll be the first to admit it. But he WSK delivers a substantial value and it comes pre-baked with all you need to make good 'cue and then grilling too.

Either way, you're in the right place to play with food, smoke and fire. Ask away. There are many knowledgeable people here and a few clowns too; and they'll make you laugh, for sure.

I also tend to agree with Brett, that before upgrading your WSM so much, consider going to the WSK as you might have that much invested into it.

I guess I’m really late to this party!!
Hey Steve!
I am a little bit of a old fart when it comes to learning a new piece of equipment so, now that that is established, I can move along to offering my outlook on the opening act of using a WSM.
the unit is extremely well designed all by itself, learn the BASICS before adding in a ton of “modifications”. I thought I wanted a bunch of that stuff until I saw how simple the thing really is to run right out of the box. Often less is more and I honestly think that this applies to the WSM more than most other pieces of cooking apparatus. A friend of mine offered me his ATC unit after we got chatting about it, he said he just doesn’t think the fiddling with it is worth the effort. Many here will take exception to that but, I am in the KISS camp. Keep It Simple Stupid works very well for me. No gasket, no ATC, just a simple two probe remote thermometer (1 for pit temp one for product) plenty of coal, good smokewood (been using Fruitawood stuff lately, EXCELLENT STUFF!) patience and proper attitude.
The most important thing to learn in this is patience, you cannot rush a good end product you must wait for it. Your patience will be rewarded. I have been lucky and had a few good folks here hold my hand through the first few cooks until I found my legs. I cannot thank them enough for giving me the confidence to just think the process through and not be intimidated by simply popping a brisket on if I want one! Pork butts? There is NOTHING more forgiving than butts, always build in three hours more than you think you might need …just in case.
Here endeth the sermon.

Back