New Member from the Bay Area. Hello to All!

K Nelson

Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself to the community. My name is Kip and I received a Weber OTG 22" for my birthday in September. Absolutely loving it! So far I've cooked chicken pieces, burgers, ribs and a beer can chicken over either direct or indirect heat. I just found this website and wanted to join to learn more about the art of grilling and smoking. If anyone has any recommendations about where to start on this site or which recipe's to master as a beginner, I'm all ears. One of my goals is to master temperature control with the briquettes so I'm sure I'll be in the market for a good thermometer.

Anyways, I'm open to any/all advice and look forward to discussing great grilling techniques with you. My goal is to have something of value to share with the community as quickly as possible. I'll be learning and using techniques from the community for a while as I learn but looking to contribute and give back.

All the best,
Kip

Welcome to the group Kip. You can put out some pretty fine BBQ on that OTG. Don't get hung up to much on meat temperatures for telling when butts and briskets are done. You will find you have to close your top vent partially to get lower temps in your kettle but you'll soon figure out just how you need to set things. Have fun.

Thanks for the responses! Chris and Pete I'm living in Alameda. Glad to know there's some Bay Area representation!

Mike, I'm addicted for sure! Tony thanks for the link and I'll be combing through it shortly. Bob I hear you on the temperature. I hear a lot of people consumed by monitoring and maintaining their temperature but for me just starting out I'm sure I've got plenty of other variables to be concerned with.

Thanks everyone and looking forward to reading through the virtualweberbullet.com index.

Back