New member and new equipment

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hello friends, I am Darryl and I am from southern Ontario, way up here in Canada. It has been a challenge to get my hands on a new bbq but there could be a number of reasons.....COVID being one of them, I am also under the impression there may be new models coming out or they are just that popular. The new possible hinged model didn't seem like it was going to be much of an improvement, other than maybe the diffuser could be a game changer so I was rushing to buy the current model. So currently I am an owner of a few grills. I own a broil king SIGNET propane about 14 years old, a Traeger large size pellet grill about 8 to 10 years old and a 1 year owner of a Smokey Joe premium 14". The Traeger works well although recently it has a hard time maintaining a low temperature, this is rather annoying, I would like to figure this out but everything I try doesn't seem to change what is going on. Basically it is my current smoking machine but starting this weekend will be only my jerky making machine, it does this very very well as it normally can maintain a 180 degree setting. The propane has been fixed a few times, has one burner tube going and is just showing its age, so I was in the market to replace it in the spring. With the cooking I have been doing on the 14" using lump I have been swayed to buying a kettle as my replacement for propane, its very tasty although using that 14" is not overly user friendly I have been able to produce very tasty dinners, enough to want to upgrade. So I did.........I looked all over for what eventually became my new Weber first choice to purchase.....It took a few weeks, only to find " we have only one left in our showroom at a different location " and other situations similar to that. Eventually I found what I wanted. I was able to purchase on Tuesday of this week 1 brand new Weber performer premium, I am not really interested in the propane start feature for extra dollars spent. I also was able to get a cover for it, as bad as the reviews seem to be for it I needed something. I was also able to purchase a few accessories to go with it, these also are getting me pretty excited to jump into premium charcoal grilling. I picked up the slow n sear deluxe, the vortex, some Weber starter cubes, a couple bags of fist sized wood, the sear grate for the GBS, a few meat church rubs and I took a chance to try out the FOGO black bag lump. I have a few different brands of charcoal I use now and am currently a user of Killer hogs products. I currently also own a iGrill mini I have had for about a year but have never used. Feel like I am ready for the show now and while I do feel like I have a little knowledge behind me going in I also have questions and hopefully I can help people as well. I have been grilling in different ways for a quite some time and would love to help if I could. Thanks for taking the time to read all that, I will be doing my first start up here on the weekend, have to get it built, should be easy I build BBQ's at work all the time and they are propane, but easy. Once it is built I may just do a couple easy cooks to get started............I was thinking a heavy reverse seared rib eye for starts, and maybe on holiday Monday ( Thanksgiving up here ) maybe some indirect thighs and baby backs. No idea how long the chicken takes but all the you tube vids I have been watching will be a big help I am sure. Last night I used the 14" and grilled the best burger I have had in my life and I know it can only get better. Thanks again!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Weber charcoal grilling!

Sounds like you have a nice setup with the Performer.
I've found lump charcoal to be best for hot and fast cooks, especially in the Vortex. And standard briquettes to be best for low and slow, nice in the slow n sear.
Lots of good info here, just browse around and ask questions. Also, post some pictures of your grills and cooks!

Welcome Darryl! Sounds like you are ready to have some fun.

I, myself, returned to charcoal grilling this summer and bought a WSM 18 and a Weber Performer Deluxe. I am in the Milton area. How about you?

Having trouble finding any charcoal sales myself - thought there would be some clearance sales by now... been using KBB so far when there was a sale at Home Hardware a couple months back.

I also got the SNS and the vortex for the WPD. Have used both successfully - once for the SNS and twice for the vortex.

Happy Grilling! Nice to see another southern Ontarion here.

Welcome Darryl! Not from Ontario but am Canadian. Sounds like you are all set to experiment with all your new Weber toys. Keep us posted and include pics. Good Luck!

Thanks for the welcome gents, as far as finding any charcoal at all I generally have a hard time, stores around here usually just don’t have any. When I do find a good product I buy up about 5 bags at a time. Maybe it’s because I am in a low population area, and by that I am south of Woodstock. About 30 minutes to Lake Erie. So yeah ready to go with the toys, I read a lot here and watched a lot of vids so I just bought what I figured I would need based on the food I cook......I will be sure to post one of my first cooks, I’m not even nervous I’m going to nail it......the only concern is getting the vents set, so far I have no idea rather than fairly closed up for slow n low and I’m hoping wide open for 500 wing cooks.

Vortex wings are solid. I might start there. I have done them twice. Here are my posts about them:

I wish Jealous Devil lump would go on sale at Barbecues Galore...I guess they don't have sales on that stuff.

Otherwise I will continue to buy KBB but will try the Royal Oak Ridge eventually at Canadian Tire because it is cheap.

How do you like living out in Woodstock area? We might be moving next year or year after and we are looking at various places including: Woodstock, Paris, Shakespeare, Stratford, Brantford, Kitchener and Cambridge.

I’m actually out in Tillsonburg, cheaper housing for sure, 22 minutes south of Woodstock, I was born there and did live there for a while.

Thanks for those links, wings are my go to I do them a couple times per month already on the traeger, they come out okay in that not rubbery but not crispy. Beef ribs are actually my go to they are like brisket on a stick but way less hassle, that brisket takes forever.

Not that it will come up in any conversations but I am also an avid vinyl collector with much of my collection released before I was born. That is when music was music and people didn’t write songs for you.

Welcome from Arizona! I was never a propane guy and was very set in my ways, but I found a Stainless Steel Performer some while back and I used the propane start and after that I was hooked, at the very least give it a try to see if you would like or not.

Not that it will come up in any conversations but I am also an avid vinyl collector with much of my collection released before I was born. That is when music was music and people didn’t write songs for you.
Love older rock albums. When things ever get normal check out classic albums live! Oh yeah some if the band members are Canadian.
Agree, sometimes beef ribs are easier than other meats. Just let it do its thing and bam an impressive meal.
The 14 is great but sometimes you need a bit more room even for small cooks. And a table too..

I looked up " classic albums live " but it didn't really come up with anything....the site I use is ultra specific so the more detail you can share with me the easier it is for me to find. As far as the beef ribs go it is a bit more friendly than brisket, I don't have to get up at 4a.m to start a meal that eats at 6 or 7. It does cook about the same as the brisket thou, with the stall and the wrap and the cooler after that magic 203 number appears but it takes seriously less time and a nice marbled cut is to die for....there is always that thicker section of fat just above the bone that you can count on and hopefully the rest is marbled enough to produce that tender bite. Short ribs work almost the same but the time is even shorter which is nice....especially braised in a pan when bringing up to the right temp with veggies, broth and all the good stuff. Then simmer the sauce down to a gravy, serve mashed potatoes topped with a couple braised shorties and spoon the gravy over it. Your company will thank the heck out of you as this one is to die for.....thanks again everyone for the warm welcome. I will be getting the BBQ set up tomorrow after my golf round and the SNS and wood chunks just arrived today via courier so everything is falling right into place.....I hope i get the chance to use it this weekend

Yeah that looks interesting, I will need to look into it more when I have some time. Going to build the performer right now, wish me luck!

All done the only part I didn’t really get was the lid holder section it doesn’t seem like the holes are level and I didn’t really tighten it up solid.....seems right as they are locknuts, anyone know what I mean or did I do it wrong

Attachments

• 4B300B5D-A641-4390-8E83-C39F64DDDDB4.jpeg
    4B300B5D-A641-4390-8E83-C39F64DDDDB4.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 4
  • D198EB3B-8D79-4345-BB41-4737093ED75B.jpeg
    D198EB3B-8D79-4345-BB41-4737093ED75B.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 8CEBD731-FEA3-4C23-8DB3-8B7A4037065C.jpeg
    8CEBD731-FEA3-4C23-8DB3-8B7A4037065C.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 3
I just measured the bottom portion of the kettle across at 90 degrees and it’s actually round, I can’t believe but i5 measures even both ways almost exactly.....pretty excited about that.

Welcome, @Darryl - swazies!

Picking up from your other thread...

Relatively speaking, I'm new to vinyl. After years of thinking about it, and buying a cheapy player, I got my first real turn table a few years ago and while it's nothing terribly expensive, I certainly am enjoying it. I have this U-Turn turntable w/ a Grado cartridge paired w/ a Marantz 7011 AVR and NHT (Classic 3's) bookshelves w/ a couple subs. It's a nice little system for my modest family room / theater.

Screenshot 2020-10-28 144554.jpg
I have a few dozen albums on vinyl and most are classic rock/pop, some 90's, and I'm starting to and wanting to get into jazz a bit more. Cheers, and welcome to the board.

Welcome, @Darryl - swazies!

Picking up from your other thread...

Relatively speaking, I'm new to vinyl. After years of thinking about it, and buying a cheapy player, I got my first real turn table a few years ago and while it's nothing terribly expensive, I certainly am enjoying it. I have this U-Turn turntable w/ a Grado cartridge paired w/ a Marantz 7011 AVR and NHT (Classic 3's) bookshelves w/ a couple subs. It's a nice little system for my modest family room / theater.

View attachment 16927
I have a few dozen albums on vinyl and most are classic rock/pop, some 90's, and I'm starting to and wanting to get into jazz a bit more. Cheers, and welcome to the board.

Very nice, that turntable looks pretty good and modern. I started with a new ONKYO 2 channel 80 watt receiver purchased only for the turntable hence the 2X80 and an entry level Audio Technica LP60 turntable myself about 6 years ago. That turntable is a cheapo entry level but it works pretty good when just starting out. It only took about 1 year of getting into it as I was buying up albums quicker than I thought was possible to move into some better gear. It seemed like I was getting around 5 to 10 albums per week depending on the week. So I built up my collection drastically fast and in the process introduced myself to some music I had no idea that even existed and now I cannot believe that I didn't even know some of it as it is some of my favorite music now a days. So I moved into some pretty good stuff. My receiver is basically what my avatar is a 1971 to 1973 era if I remember right...............MARANTZ 2245. Had it all redone on the inside caps and everything that showed its age. So new parts but its the same old parts it was made with to preserve the sound quality. Read up on these, it's one of those receivers that are just outstanding at sound reproduction. They are very widely know and popular, since I got mine they have risen in value considerably, mind you I have a considerable amount of money dropped into mine now with the refurb and the initial purchase. Easily over $1200 now but its going to last another 40 years in its current state. It puts out 45 pure old school watts at an outstanding 8 ohms, pretty good for its age. Around the same time I picked up 1977 - 1979 era MARANT 6100 turntable. Refurbished it with new bearings belt and and audio technica VM540ML cartridge / stylus. This is a bit of money too but the sound is amazing. Then right after that I went out and picked up a pair of Klipsch RP-600M 6.5 inch bookshelf reference speakers. 8 ohm 100watt very high sensitivity speakers, I am a huge fan of these speakers. Old school hardware and modern speakers....... I would change nothing with my setup at all, it does what it is supposed to do. So these days the amount of records coming in is very few and far between, maybe like 10 to 20 per year as I get lost with what to buy next and to be honest I don't have room for more than 50 more records max in my listening area, there is crap everywhere lol. Thanks for taking the time to listen to me babble, happy collecting and enjoy the wax, it's the best media you can get.

That old-school Marantz gear really gets me where I itch, but unfortunately I don't have the room for a dedicated listening room, and have to combine my music w/ my TV/movie room.

Good chatting with ya! Too bad you're not closer so I could browse your vinyl collection. Cheers!

Back