Vortex Wings Questions

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
Will be doing wings via the vortex tomorrow as my first use of my new Performer.

Thinking of trying wings 3 ways:

1) Baking powder and spices (SPG).
2) Corn Starch and spices (SPG).
3) Just spices (Salt, Pepper, Granulated Garlic).

Then adding sauces either after or near the end.

How long is the usual cook time for wings via the vortex? 30min? 40min?

Do most use lump or briquettes?

Should I foil under the wings outside the vortex?

Last edited:
I use Corn Starch and SPG but screwed up and used baking powder once. I couldn't tell the difference.
Momma likes CRISPY so I go 45 min and turn the lid every 15. I also toss a chunk of wood on the coals.
You can easily do 30 min and finish the skin by giving them 30 seconds directly over the coals.
Briqs will get hot enough to make the handle too hot without a glove. I see no reason to use lump.
Always foil around the Vortex to catch the drippings.

Since you’re experimenting anyway, why not do a third of each preparation and see which yields the best results for you? And I don’t think you can go wrong with either type of coals, lump or charcoal.

Baking powder isn't a mistake -- it is the secret.

Dry wings. Toss in salt and baking powder. Wire rack uncovered in the fridge for as many hours as you can.

Ya gonna do 1/3 of each. Won’t have too much time in fridge before cooking. Maybe 1 hour. Will pat as dry as I can before seasoning.

I see some people spritz or coat with oil...thoughts?

Baking powder isn't a mistake -- it is the secret.

Dry wings. Toss in salt and baking powder. Wire rack uncovered in the fridge for as many hours as you can.

This is what I do. Baking Powder really helps dry things out and makes the outside of the wings nice and crispy.

I also leave on the grill for about 45 min....used to turn the lid, but lately have just let it roll and havent noticed a difference, so now I just set it and forget it for 45 min.

+1 for baking powder and 45 minutes without turning lid. I don’t turn the wings either. I use Weber’s Kick’n Chicken for seasoning. I forgot to foil under them once, what a mess...

Ok so foiling is a must. Should I leave the center portion of the GBS on and put a chunk of wood on it or just put the chunk of wood on the coals in the vortex? Not sure the high temp of the vortex is a good idea repetitively for the chrome played grate.

Foiling is critical! To be honest, I have not used baking powder and not had ANY loss of what I would call crispness
Also, yes remove the center! You will roast it. You can use the cast iron insert if you have one, or just set the smoke wood “Near” the Vortex, it will be hot enough. Lately I have been pressed for time and have “thaw brined” using McCormick Maple smokehouse seasoning, 45 minutes, no turning, no fussing at all.
Now, the real problem is going to be getting wings at a realistic price! I try to keep a ten pound bag on hand but, that doesn’t always happen.

Last edited:
When you say NEAR the vortex for some smoke wood, do you mean down beside it or up above on the outer circle of the GBS?

Wing prices here in Canada may differ, but I try to grab about 20+ lbs when they go on sale for $2.99 or $3.49 a lb for split wings (no tips).

I made 3 lbs of party wings and 6 legs with corn starch last night and the were the worst kettle/vortex cook I have done by far. I don't think I will ever try them that was again, but if I did I would really try to knock off as much of the corn starch/seasoning mix as possible and the do that again to get even more off. I think the main issue was too much corn starch, but not sure. Maybe next time I do 3 pounds I time I will do like two wings that way to try it again.
I have had amazing success with getting then good and dry, applying seasoning and putting them on the kettle. I also like to spray with EVOO cooking spray, after seasoning, before they go on.
We were trying to get a more grill fried wing last night and failed.
I will probably try the baking powder.
As for charcoal and wood. This is a cook that I have had better outcomes when I use my better charcoal then my lesser stuff. I know you, me and so many of us are having a hard time finding it, but Weber Briquettes burn hotter then all other Briquettes I have used, and when I pull the vortex out my Weber had made a noticeable difference over other briquettes to me. The dome temp reads 100 higher, the, wings sizzle the whole cook and they come out perfectly crispy. I am actually thinking to buy a bag of lump specifically to try in the vortex. So from my experience if you have something that burns hotter I would go with that. As for wood, I alway just put a small piece on top of the vortex fire. That gives off a lot of smoke, but we like it. I like a little piece of pecan.
To reiterate what was shared above, remove the center, the heat could destroy that guy, and foil those sides around the vortex, chicken wings are the messiest thing I cook in the kettle.
As for time, so many people I read say 30 mins, I have always gone between 45 mins to max an hour. I am looking for the skin to crisp up and for when I take a flat for it to pull apart easily to know they are done.
Last, if you can't get some wings, the vortex is just an all around chicken cooking machine, get some bone in legs, or bone in thighs, or bone in thigh/leg quarters and do them up!
Good luck and enjoy, vortex cooks are some of the most fun cooks to me. I think it has something to do with the fact that my daughter and I eating a half dozen wings between the two of us throughout the cooking process, before the tray even hits the table.

So weird...the cornstarch ones were by far the crispiest and the best overall. The wings had 1tbsp pepper, 1tbsp salt, 1tbsp granulated garlic and 2tbsp corn starch. So lightly dusted. Wife agreed they were the best.

Plan was to go 45min to 1hr but when I temped them with my thermapen at 40 mins they were all above 200.

After I filled the vortex with coals, I put on the wings and the cover, then got distracted briefly and then looked at the thermometer and saw it was at the bottom. I actually thought it was not working...so took a pic to send to Weber for a warranty claim, later noticed that the temp had dropped to around 600 near the end of the cook. So for the first half hour, the KBB briquettes in the vortex had the temp off the scale...I am assuming 700-800.

Here are my pics....

0F890D32-EA36-40FD-87A3-6E097BC4830A.jpeg

1D7B397E-5CF2-4BF2-B18E-166D3A459C70.jpeg

2861A9FE-95E8-41D9-9489-C309AF5EE3B0.jpeg

FA20C0A2-0887-4E5C-8097-2F860BD13BFA.jpeg

93303834-C510-4029-BFFC-3162898BCDEE.jpeg

5F864088-261F-4241-BF0D-609D2BA17DEB.jpeg
3818A0DA-F4A2-47E9-98AD-C52BC755D0D2.jpeg

B6C383E3-CEEC-462D-A4FB-7D5BC9D1DC13.jpeg

653EBB95-160E-4747-A2D6-240F18D46C11.jpeg

1BCD4F97-E004-43B2-8E0E-A39B12B50BEE.jpeg

Sorry, got distracted by the remodeling project again!
I’d set the smoke wood on the top grate, but, it looks like you figured it out, those like dandy!

Just threw them in the vortex. Did add quite a bit of smokey taste. There was no room on the grate! 41 wings filled it.

Sorry, got distracted by the remodeling project again!
I’d set the smoke wood on the top grate, but, it looks like you figured it out, those like dandy!

...which leads me to my first small complaint of the Performer 22”...

- without the center of the GBS, there really isn’t a lot of room for meat...only fit 41 wings...would love to be able to fit 50-60.

Try to find one of the semi grates that is maybe five or six inches higher to go on one side, or put a rotisserie ring on and get a second grate.

Back