New member. 20 miles SW of Palatine.

Chris-S

Hi everyone. I’m new to TVWBB and hope to improve my outdoor cooking with what I learn here. I’m in a suburb about an hour west of Chicago and grill year round.

I currently have two Weber’s. A Spirit II E-310 that I bought in 2020 to replace a cheap CharBroil LP grill and my original Weber kettle.

I bought the kettle in 1998 (EZ) code and used it until mid 2014 when I took it to my mom’s camper that stays on a campground in Michigan and switched to the inexpensive gas grill. The kettle was used on weekends at the lake until I brought it home this spring.

I’ve added an Oklahoma Joe’s thermometer, new grates and baskets and it’s cookin’ like new again.

I’m looking forward to picking up some tips and recipes.

neSBgYa.jpg

Welcome Chris from N AZ , tips and how to's, and receips is what this site is all about. And we love to show off our works in photos that make you hungry....

Hey..... Chris, you might know...... is Silver Lake Restaurant (Chinese) still open on 59, between Bartlett and Schick Roads? My g/f & I used to live just off the eastern side of Stratford Square Mall.

Hey..... Chris, you might know...... is Silver Lake Restaurant (Chinese) still open on 59, between Bartlett and Schick Roads? My g/f & I used to live just off the eastern side of Stratford Square Mall.

J, Silver Lake is still open. I wish I could say the same for Stratford Square mall. Only the anchors are open. The rest of the mall is a ghost town. No theatre, no restaurants, JCP and Sears gone, only Kohl’s, FYE and a couple stragglers.

Congrats on getting out of Illinois 😉. I’m looking at moving to Kentucky in 2024. It’s pretty terrible here and only getting worse.

J, Silver Lake is still open. I wish I could say the same for Stratford Square mall. Only the anchors are open. The rest of the mall is a ghost town. No theatre, no restaurants, JCP and Sears gone, only Kohl’s, FYE and a couple stragglers.

Congrats on getting out of Illinois 😉. I’m looking at moving to Kentucky in 2024. It’s pretty terrible here and only getting worse.
Chris I do not know where in KY you are moving to, but it is a very nice state. We lived in NKY for 26 years then move to AZ many things I still about KY more than here.
I think you will enjoy it.

We escaped in 2006. We still fondly remember Silver Lake, one of the waiters would recognize us and drop an order for pot stickers as soon as we walked in.

Woodfield Mall can't be much better. And in the 15 years we've been here, I don't think I've been in Mall of America half a dozen times.

Woodfield Mall can't be much better. And in the 15 years we've been here, I don't think I've been in Mall of America half a dozen times.
Woodfield is still pretty nice, not that I spend a lot of time there. Sears is gone of course. I just picked my daughter up from there tonight, she has a part time job at the mall.

We escaped in 2006. We still fondly remember Silver Lake, one of the waiters would recognize us and drop an order for pot stickers as soon as we walked in.

I live near the Charlestown mall in St. Charles. It’s been pretty much abandoned for six or seven years. Toyota took advantage of it and filmed a four minute commercial inside it.

The documentary.

The commercial (skip the two minute mark) :

I built a lot of houses in the St Charles / Geneva area.
Very nice along the Fox. Is the old Piano factory outlet mall still there?

I built a lot of houses in the St Charles / Geneva area.
Very nice along the Fox. Is the old Piano factory outlet mall still there?

There is a piano outlet store on Roosevelt near the Science and Surplus store. I’ve never stopped in because I have no rhythm or musical ability. 😜

We’re a few blocks from the river and kayak it when the weather and water level allows.

There aren’t a lot of stand-alone homes going up in the area any more. Shodeen and a couple others are putting up multi-unit condos everywhere and those massive concrete warehouse/distribution centers are filling up all the corn fields.

It was an outlet mall before they were popular.
It had a Pfaltzgraff store which sold factory seconds and a few kitchen cookware shops where I always found some gems.

Back