New Kingsford briquet product in January

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I caught wind of some info that Kingsford is coming out with a new briquet product in January, rumored to be more "natural". My contact at Kingsford confirms that something is indeed on the way in January. He said he will send me info next week and hopefully a sample that I can try out.

Regards,
Chris

good deal...too much ash on the regular "K" they use more binders than coal. After Rancher dented their sales, glad they listened to make a better briquete.

I don't have any hard details yet, that's what I'm hoping he will send me. The rumor is it's charwood and a natural binder pressed into briquets.

What's driving this? Just my speculation...Kingsford is owned by Clorox. Clorox has been introducing green versions of household cleaning products. Perhaps this is an effort to green the charcoal product line? I'm sure they'll continue to sell the current Kingsford formulation as the flagship product and this new product will be targeted at those who want a more "natural" product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I don't have any hard details yet, that's what I'm hoping he will send me. The rumor is it's charwood and a natural binder pressed into briquets.

What's driving this? Just my speculation...Kingsford is owned by Clorox. Clorox has been introducing green versions of household cleaning products. Perhaps this is an effort to green the charcoal product line? I'm sure they'll continue to sell the current Kingsford formulation as the flagship product and this new product will be targeted at those who want a more "natural" product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear that and will definitely try it out when I can get it. I was actually straying away from K slowly and leaning more towards lump coal. Theres still hope

Chris Lilly will be on the "BBQCentral" radio show tonight to talk about the new product. He'll be on during the 2nd segment. Show starts at 9:00 PM EST.

TIME: 9pm EST
CALL IN: 216-220-0966
EMAIL: bbqcentralradio@gmail.com
CHAT: www.ustream.tv/channel/the-bbq-central-show

What do I think is causing Kingsford to do this... All the customers they've lost over the last couple of years and all the posts on BBQ forums about what a lousy product it has become compared to say 'Rancher' or some of the other 'natural' briquettes.

I'll be honest with you guys, if I had a large selection of charcoal near me, I'd be picky, but I don't so I go with what I can find, and don't loose too much sleep over it. I don't mind the extra ash that much. I only do about 3 cooks a month now anyways, that its getting cooler out.

I'm sure some of our friends from the arctic areas of the north are laughing at my suggestion that its "cold" in the bay area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
I'll be honest with you guys, if I had a large selection of charcoal near me, I'd be picky, but I don't so I go with what I can find, and don't loose too much sleep over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I hear you but to me, I can smell the K on anything whenever I use the Minion Method. Even my wife and sister can so its not just me reading about it here from others. If I had more access to wood and lump coal, I would use that all the time but here in Brooklyn, K is everywhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chris Lilly will be on the "BBQCentral" radio show tonight to talk about the new product. He'll be on during the 2nd segment. Show starts at 9:00 PM EST.

Correct URL - http://www.latalkradio.com/

I love this site! I hadn't heard about a new Kingsford product until I saw this thread. I downloaded the interview with Chris Lilly today. The best of both worlds - lump and briquet! He gave pricing and packaging information (MSRP, your prices may vary!), and said it should be available everywhere by April 2009. I'm getting in line....

I hear ya, Mike! Ever since the Original Charcoal Company got the raw deal from HD on their "Rancher" product (which will be the standard to measure the KF product IMHO) I have been looking for another brand that is comparable. Trying to work Lilly for a test bag before the actual release.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
I hear ya, Mike! Ever since the Original Charcoal Company got the raw deal from HD on their "Rancher" product (which will be the standard to measure the KF product IMHO) I have been looking for another brand that is comparable. Trying to work Lilly for a test bag before the actual release.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rancher Rules! You can still find it... it's just not easy. Carried at Lowes Foods, IGA, Galaxy Foods near me. And they have a wharehouse in Gastonia, NC where you can buy by the pallet load.

Lump pressed into a briquette..... who would have thunk?
icon_rolleyes.gif
It would be nice just to pick up a bag of quality fuel at any ol'store. I know I have done my share of scavenging the countryside, as have many of you. I hope it is good and not too pricey. One can only hope.

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Lump pressed into a briquette..... who would have thunk?
icon_rolleyes.gif
It would be nice just to pick up a bag of quality fuel at any ol'store. I know I have done my share of scavenging the countryside, as have many of you. I hope it is good and not too pricey. One can only hope.

Gary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... it's not really lump pressed into a briquette. It's ground up charwood (lump) and a starch binder to hold it together.
There are a few on the market already... but none have a distribution network that can match Kingsford's.

Lump, charwood, I miss stated. There seems to be a failure to communicate on my end. Perhaps I would have been more successful at communicating my point if I said...... a more pure briquette, it's about d!#n time.
icon_wink.gif

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For you guys near the Canadian border, if you ever cross into the great white north, look for the Maple Leaf Briqs (charwood starch binder) and their lump. You think rancher is the bomb, talk to me after using the Maple Leaf Briqs, now there's the Bomb Biggity.
icon_wink.gif
Oh why Oh why did they ever stop exporting their lump and briqs into this country? It's just so freaking sad.
icon_frown.gif

Back