New Kamado Joe Kettle??

The lid does not seal very well. There is more smoke coming from under the lid than from the top vent. Need a seal on that lid.
Great info, where can we find source of this to back this up? I honestly don't want to make a purchase I would regret...........
Im not against buying anything really. I have been so happy with the Weber so far I would like to remain loyal if possible.
I don't know how long the MTP has been available to us all but I would be interested in honest reviews on them, especially from people who like to grill and know a few things like everyone on the boards. I looked at a few on the Weber site and you don't know who from who and some it seems like they don't even know how to build one once they bought it.....and they complain about things.
Anyone here bought a MTP yet?
Or a smoke ring and plate and threw it in there regular kettle?

I think a lot of people that have a Performer would like to have the Weber charcoal ring and diffuser that comes with the MT Premium. It would be nice to know if it will be offered as an accessory. Until then........

View attachment 23074
I like it, and actually have to ability to make something myself in this respect.
Could you tell me what the lid....or plate is made out of or where you found it?
Did you get dimensions form someone first like 22" WSM before you made this?
Thanks

I like it, and actually have to ability to make something myself in this respect.
Could you tell me what the lid....or plate is made out of or where you found it?
Did you get dimensions form someone first like 22" WSM before you made this?
Thanks
Darryl,
I made the diffuser plate per instructions in Tom Horsman's YT video. The charcoal ring was fabricated at a resto shop near me and is the same dimension as the one Tom made, 15x3" if I recall correctly. Prices of the 18" stainless pizza pan on Amazon has went way up. There may be a better alternative now. All in all, I have right at $100 in the ring and plate. Kind of expensive I thought, until I used it. It works great!

Darryl,
I made the diffuser plate per instructions in Tom Horsman's YT video. The charcoal ring was fabricated at a resto shop near me and is the same dimension as the one Tom made, 15x3" if I recall correctly. Prices of the 18" stainless pizza pan on Amazon has went way up. There may be a better alternative now. All in all, I have right at $100 in the ring and plate. Kind of expensive I thought, until I used it. It works great!

If they fit, this would be a good off the shelf option.

WSM chamber ring for the 18 or 22 is like $50. Not sure though if the Weber stock rings would be too high to use in a kettle performer.

Firedial plate sized for the WSM 18 or 22 is like $35. Or Old Smokey bottom grate is like $10.

Firedial plate rests on the ring. I do that in my WSM 18 frequently.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty cool. It's a good midrange alternative grill and has some of the cool qualities of the kamado and doesn't have some of the drawbacks. The slo-roller thing is very intriguing. It's the same shape as a cooling stack (hyperboloid?). It has some effect on airflow and smoke profile. There's nothing there I think is ridiculous. It's weird that it's not at all on their website. How does this compare with a Weber Kamado Summit I'd have to wonder. That said I'll never buy one, but I like the idea.

The KJ seems like a good option, I just don't see how a indirect grilling experience could be enjoyed. The Kamodos they sell have this divide and conquer ( I think it is called that anyways ) cooking system where you can use ceramic pieces, like shields to keep the food away from the fire.
Something like a SNS basket keeping the fire contained to a certain area. I don't see anything like that in the pictures I have seen of it so far. It looks like it would excel in the 22" smoking department like a MTP would or a Summit would. It looks like it has everything to keep you covered...but for the grilling side of things, I'm not sure there would be an area for less heat as you cooked. They have the ceramic in the bottom which appears to be tapered and it would appear as though it would be hard to have a fire " in the corner ". Now I would have to go take a look at them when they do become available of course and have a good look for myself, I have to believe they didn't overlook a good grill experience with this thing.

If that is the case it possibly is a good purchase. I think they have good quality and they want to dominate the market from all sides it seems. For $700 if it is a great grill, and a great smoker it fits into the budget a heck of a lot better than a Summit would ( $1300 here ). Basically half the price, so if it performed as good a s the Weber line does.....who is to say though......then the price point is top shelf. That would leave the MTP at $429 the other option I would consider, I don't know a lot about the WSM but I do know they are around the same money.

I am fairly into the Weber brand thou, I have used them a fair amount through my years but only recently fell in love with the kettle / charcoal setup. 7 bills and the wife wont say much, 1300 or 2300 for the cart version and well we better make the food coming off that a whole bunch more special.

2 zone cooking isn't going to happen easily on that grill but I don't know if that is that important to everyone. I do quite a bit of 2 zone cooking but other times I'm doing either indirect or direct but not necessarily both. If I'm reverse searing a steak the indirect heat from a hot enough fire to sear is going to be more than I'd want for the indirect portion of the cook. I'd say this is more competitive with an Char Broil Acorn or something like that. I'm a Weber guy too, so I'd lean more that way, but I'm a fan of any kind of innovation.

I think it looks pretty cool. It's a good midrange alternative grill and has some of the cool qualities of the kamado and doesn't have some of the drawbacks. The slo-roller thing is very intriguing. It's the same shape as a cooling stack (hyperboloid?). It has some effect on airflow and smoke profile. There's nothing there I think is ridiculous. It's weird that it's not at all on their website. How does this compare with a Weber Kamado Summit I'd have to wonder. That said I'll never buy one, but I like the idea.
Personally I would buy and looking for a used one the Weber Summit Kamado yes before they called it a Kamado no way to convince me that a kettle and I have a performer by the way even with add on diffusers and whatever is going to cook like the Summit which has double wall construction when your smoking.

It does seem the Kettle Joe must be selling well sold out on Amazon and a number of other sites and I totally get that for the ceramic crowd that seems to be a really good price under $500 US. Surely if you have a gasser and want to do some smoking or charcoal grilling and don't want to break the bank like an Egg seems to be a pretty good deal. But a Summit is $999 if you need the space has 452 inches as opposed to this grill 363 that is a big difference. I am sure because the Kettle Joe is smaller it weighs 121 pounds being ceramic I would have thought it weighed more and the E6 weighs 142 pounds.

Let me add great at spending other people's money so that is the decision. A WSM will get you there for smoking also but its no Summit and nothing wrong with that for a lot less money. :)

Back