New guy in Upstate, SC

Dave_B

TVWBB Fan
Hey all you weber fans.

New guy to the forums here. Not new to weber or charcoal by any means. My OG go to "was" my 22 OTS DH date code, yup, a decade in already with Weber!

Over the past 2 years I've been trying to creatively get rid of my aging offset smoker and get down to one device for all my needs. I'm sorta there now. Offset now gone for 3 weeks. Was reading all about ceramics and other options. But decided that my 22" OTS already served me so well for 10 years, why not stick with another Weber? So, the loving wife got me an OTG 26.75 for V-day. What a wife! So no, not down to a single device, but well worth it I believe! Except she already asked what I'm going to do with the 22" To which I replied, keep it of course!

So, I put it all together and seasoned it properly with some vegetable oil then proceeded to light a chimney of mixed KBB and some RO lump. Finally, once all that was going, I threw a few chunks of hickory in there for good measure. Let her go all the way up with all vents open for about an hour before bringing her back down to burn everything off.

Next night, I followed up with my first cook, some BB's. I'm shocked at how well this 26'er held temp so steady. Left those baby's on there for ~4 hours before taking them off. Worked out so well, that I fired it up the following night for some simple brats.

Glad to be here, and can't wait to try some of the mods and recipe's on here!

I do like em sweet and the caramelized sugar went well withs some heat from the rub I made.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Dave.
You have a great wife.
26.75 for valentines is the best gift ever.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. Glad to be here and happy to contribute.

You guys make some tasty looking meals!

Welcome and enjoy all the knowledge here. Looking forward to hearing your tips and tricks also.

3 gallons of water
Gatorade construction cooler
Kosher Salt
Sugar
Soy
Apple Juice
(2) ~4 lb roasters

Grill is already setup for cooking tomorrow with a minion setup and apple chips.

This will be my first go at spatchcocking a chicken, but looks pretty easy. I'll get some pics going soon of the cook. Chickens brining now and will be rinsed tomorrow morning.

You guys recommend cooking at 300? Or something less? Any secret chicken rubs anyone wants to share? Will definitely pull back the skin and rub under that.

Brined over night.

Took out this morning and rinsed, spatched and rub'd.

Running around 275 lid temp, not touching lid for at least and hour or so.

3 gallons of water
Gatorade construction cooler
Kosher Salt
Sugar
Soy
Apple Juice
(2) ~4 lb roasters

Grill is already setup for cooking tomorrow with a minion setup and apple chips.

This will be my first go at spatchcocking a chicken, but looks pretty easy. I'll get some pics going soon of the cook. Chickens brining now and will be rinsed tomorrow morning.

You guys recommend cooking at 300? Or something less? Any secret chicken rubs anyone wants to share? Will definitely pull back the skin and rub under that.

Good morning Dave.....

Post your Question on link below... You will get more views and responses.

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?69-Barbecuing

When you do your cook take pics post here.

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?72-Photo-Gallery

Back