New Guy from IL

JohnD IL

Hello everyone and thanks for the add to the group. I've been cooking on a Weber Genesis and Kettle for a while. The wife is interested in getting me a smoker for Christmas which I've had my eyes on the WSM but her brother is a pellet guy and trying to change her mind to a lower end Pellet Grill. Doing everything I can to push her decision in the right direction.

Look forward to learning from all of you.

stay away from the pellet craze... you're best off with a REAL smoker... your already comfortable Weber kettle (yes, it's a GREAT smoker) and/or the famous WSM.
pellets (imo) generate very little smoke flavor compared to REAL wood.
If you're serious about smoking, the WSM is the best smoker on the market for the price. Genuine Real Smoke Flavour ONLY comes from REAL smokers.

John, you'll be happy you joined this site... ECSTATIC after you purchase (obtain) your very own Weber Smokey Mountain cooker.

Welcome Home, John! Glad to have you....

Welcome John. Try a WSM, it is a nice all around smoker. I have the small one, but most buy the original size.
The pellets seem kind of gimmicky to me.

My 18.5 has served many wonderful feasts! I agree with the guys above, learn the basic concept of the WSM and you will be using it for years!
Welcome aboard!

It’s official. Got my 18.5 WSM yesterday and already did the dry smoke and seasoned it today with nice 7 hour smile of bacon and chicken parts to season it a little. Looking forward to my first real smoke in the next day or so. Excited to be here and to finally own a real smoker!

Welcome John. I have a mini 14.5 very similar to the Weber WSM as a matter of fact it uses a smoky joe top and bottom with a stock pot for the body and it works great. Also have a 18.5 WSM which is really the perfect size for most people.
I just bought a pellet grill to use for smoking for a couple of reasons some medical and some regarding fire restrictions in the summer.
Lots of good advice here and I'm sure you will learn a lot and don't hesitate to ask questions I can assure you someone and sometimes many will offer their knowledge to help you out.
FYI grew up in Franklin Park.

It’s official. Got my 18.5 WSM yesterday and already did the dry smoke and seasoned it today with nice 7 hour smile of bacon and chicken parts to season it a little. Looking forward to my first real smoke in the next day or so. Excited to be here and to finally own a real smoker!

Hey welcome John and congrats on the new tool.
Perfect weather we're having to break it in, I vote for a few butts.:wsm:

Tim

I'll be doing chicken legs today and pork butt tomorrow. I host Christmas on Saturday and will do both wings and sausage throughout the day as appetizers. With it being over 50 degrees here I am cooking as much as I possibly can.

Back