New Grill---Already rust spots on door

Mike-BBQ

TVWBB Member
I have a new Weber 435. I have owned it 2 months, and use it on weekends. Here are what appear to be rust stains on the front doors. I have tried normal cleaners and some Lime Away that says it will remove stains. No luck. The grill is covered with a Weber cover. Sort of a bummer with this grill only 2 months old. The cooking area and dials are fine.

Looking for suggestions.20230828_172102C.jpg20230828_172143C.jpg

I agree with the bar keepers friend suggestion, but I wouldn't use steel wool. Little pieces of the steel wool may get left on the surface and also rust. After you get the rust off of it I would apply a couple coats of automotive wax to protect the stainless steel. I would also definitely call Weber about this although I have heard of people in Florida being denied warranty service on rust because of the salt air climate. It's a complete shame that you have to deal with this on a 2 month old Weber grill. I would expect this to happen to a $250 Walmart grill.

Any chance some kind of chemical got splashed on it?

If that truly is rust, then I would be submitting a warranty claim yesterday. Even if those were plain steel painted doors, there should be no rust this soon.

I've used Weber's warranty service in the past no problems give him a call see what they have to say hopefully you've registered it with Weber if not do that before you call them.

Were those surfaces covered with a removable protective plastic film? Maybe a clear adhesive residue that’s changing color?
Good point, it's hard to tell from the picture if it's actually rust or not. I guess starting with a microfiber towel and some glass cleaner may be the place to start.

I would wipe it down with some type of solvent. It really looks like some type of deposits on there to start. Maybe run to a home center and get some good thinner. It's too weird looking for rust

Reminds me of hard water stains but brown, You have well water?
I see little specks of black ( carbonized grease?) on the tiles, did you wash off the deck recently.

No chemical splashes

No well water

There was plastic covering in a lot of places when it was delivered, but don't remember specifically on the doors.

The black specs on the tile is probably from the grill cleaning I just did. No recent deck wash.

There is a pool on the deck below, but the Weber is on a balcony way above. Very unlikely of any chemical splash--plus they mostly only use tablets.

I will try the Bar Keepers Friend, and try to find the Weber number to call.

As said, Barkeepers Friend. If it doesn't come off right away with BKF, try to tape a paper towel over the stains and re-cover with BKF. We had a stainless tray (not grill) that got a really bad stain burned in that we couldn't clean with anything -- even BKF. I went back and covered with BKF and let it sit for an hour. Then was able to scrub off.

And again, no steel wool. Use a plastic wool pad. Steel wool will definitely scratch your finish and make a real mess. Even with BKF, you should try to scrub with the "grain".

Good luck and please be sure to update the results. or outcomes.

Actually while it may sound counterintuitive steel wool will not scratch it. Plastic pad will definitely. I have used steel wool on my very shiny All Clad cookware and scrubbed the heck out of it. Mirror smooth and shiny clean.
But, on a textured surface used out doors, steel wool will leave tiny particles embedded and they will corrode leaving spots of rust.

Back