New Grill---Already rust spots on door

I did the BKF and it seemed to work. I got probably 98% off. First scrub did very little, but when I placed a coat on and left for a few minutes, ,and then scrubbed vigorously, it seemed to work. I was going to call Weber, but I can't find the stupid serial number on the grill, even when I used the Weber site to show me where it is located.

Glad it worked. You may have noticed that Barkeepers Friend is oxalic acid with a scrubbing agent. So the longer you can keep it wet, generally the more it works. But it also can scratch if rubbed cross grain.

My Genesis has the serial number in the hardest place to get to -- inside the cabinet and facing the propane tank. 《shrug》

I never got an owners manual. Ordered on line through ACE. They assembled and delivered. No owners manual. Finally found the serial number sticker after over an hour looking around and talking to the Weber people. It was on the opposite side of the propane canister (you open the left door--propane tank right in front of you with all the electronics and tank gauge right in sight). It was on the opposite of the left door. You couldn't see it from the right door. Not sure why it is not in an obvious location. Certainly wasn't in any of the places the web site suggested.

The lady I talked to at Weber was nice and she sent me this summary as to how we Weber owners are supposed to clean our stains and surface rust:

What you SHOULD Do

Clean the outside of your grill weekly using warm soapy water, followed by a rinse, and thorough drying

Once clean use a high-quality stainless steelcleaner and polish

Examples: Weber Stainless Steel Polish, Dymon Stainless Steel Cleaner, Zep Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish

Apply the polish with a microfiber cloth or low-lint paper towel with the grain of the stainless steel to avoid surface scratches

A Weber grill cover is recommended to further protect the grill from the elements

What You SHOULD NOT Do

DO NOT USE scouring pads or other abrasive materials as they may cause scratches

DO NOT USE any cleaning agents containing chlorine which can be corrosive to stainless steel

Examples: Clorox, Lysol, 409 multi-surface cleaners

Removal of Surface Rust Stains from Stainless Steel Surfaces
In certain corrosive environments stainless-steel may develop surface staining when regular care and maintenance is not properly followed. If this occurs the following methods are recommended to effectively restore the surface to its original condition.

First, follow the regular care and maintenance steps (see prior section)

If stubborn staining persist, use a microfiber cloth to apply Bar Keeper's Friend, Brillo Cameo or comparable product prior to polishing the stainless steel

Remember to always clean with the grain of the stainless steel

I have some cans of commercial stainless steel cleaner. I hardly use it. Once I think something is dirty enough to get cleaned, it needs way more than a spritz from a spray can. However, once you have clean stainless steel, the commercial spray stuff will make it really shiny.

Back