New Genesis, Unuseable, Everything Sticks to Grill

Chris A has the right technique. I've seen Bridget Lancaster and Julia Collin-Davison do it dozens of times on America's Test Kitchen, and they never get burned. Key = long tongs.

You can turn the burners down for a few seconds as you oil the grates if it makes you feel safer. I've done that and not lost much heat.

Good news to report based on today's use. Started with dirty grates and cold grill. Fired her up and waited until the thermometer hit almost 550. Lowered the burners so I could comfortably scrape the grates clean. Then I oiled them and dropped on some chicken breasts. Held my breath when the time to flip them came and, hallelujah, they didn't stick at all! It seems as if we have found the keys to the kingdom. Thank you to all who contributed their advice and opinions here. Greatly appreciated! :)

Good news to report based on today's use. Started with dirty grates and cold grill. Fired her up and waited until the thermometer hit almost 550. Lowered the burners so I could comfortably scrape the grates clean. Then I oiled them and dropped on some chicken breasts. Held my breath when the time to flip them came and, hallelujah, they didn't stick at all! It seems as if we have found the keys to the kingdom. Thank you to all who contributed their advice and opinions here. Greatly appreciated! :)

That's great news!!!!
Keep cooking I think the more you use your CI grates the better it will get.

That's great news!!!!
Keep cooking I think the more you use your CI grates the better it will get.

That's good news. Like Tony said I bought some CI grates for my Genesis 1000 and it took a good 20 or so cooks to get them seasoned, now I don't have to oil them at all and nothing sticks

I was reading through your post late last night MC! I am glad you finally got it all figured out and are able to actually enjoy your Weber grill. You will get many more years of great food off of it. Enjoy!

I wanted to update my thread to say that yesterday I decided to roast a whole chicken on the grill. Butterflied it, simple seasoning with olive oil, salt and pepper. Fired up the grill to 500 degrees and scraped the grates clean. Shut the middle burner. Tossed the bird on, butterflied side down for about 45 minutes. Flipped her over for a little while longer to crisp the skin a bit more. The reviews came in quite favorable. Delicious, juicy, and. . .no sticking to the CI grates! Starting to love my Weber. :)

I'd post a picture but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to. :confused:

Not to beat a dead horse, but just wanted to give another update. Previously the most problematic meal, last night's chicken breasts slid off the grates like they were wearing roller blades! Fired up the unit, rubbed on some canola after hitting my target temperature, and the grates were so slick I almost pushed one of the breasts off the grill! Hehe. All is well. Happy New Year, all. Stay safe.

Not to beat a dead horse, but just wanted to give another update. Previously the most problematic meal, last night's chicken breasts slid off the grates like they were wearing roller blades! Fired up the unit, rubbed on some canola after hitting my target temperature, and the grates were so slick I almost pushed one of the breasts off the grill! Hehe. All is well. Happy New Year, all. Stay safe.

It sounds like the bug has bitten, let us know when you buy your next weber product

Back