New for 2017: Weber Genesis II Gas Grills

You need to grill thicker hamburgers, my friend! :D
For myself and daughter I do. Wife however has to have everything cooked until it's a small burned little thing. I can start off with a 1/2 to 3/4" 5" around burger for her but when it's done cooking to her liking it's down to the size of a White Castle slider (2.5 to 3" around and 1/4" thick). This is not an exaggeration.
But I also do so many other things that those widely spaced bars would make me extremely angry about (especially if shelling out $1000 or more). I put my shrimp right on the grates, I do a mean Italian sausage with peppers by slicing peppers and putting them right on the grates and cooking my sausages on top which bastes the peppers with goodness and flavors the sausage. This would be impossible on the new products. After dropping the amount of coin Weber seems to command I would be so pi$$ed off. Yeah grill toppers would work BUT why should I have to resort to that after dropping this kind of money?

For myself and daughter I do. Wife however has to have everything cooked until it's a small burned little thing. I can start off with a 1/2 to 3/4" 5" around burger for her but when it's done cooking to her liking it's down to the size of a White Castle slider (2.5 to 3" around and 1/4" thick). This is not an exaggeration.
But I also do so many other things that those widely spaced bars would make me extremely angry about (especially if shelling out $1000 or more). I put my shrimp right on the grates, I do a mean Italian sausage with peppers by slicing peppers and putting them right on the grates and cooking my sausages on top which bastes the peppers with goodness and flavors the sausage. This would be impossible on the new products. After dropping the amount of coin Weber seems to command I would be so pi$$ed off. Yeah grill toppers would work BUT why should I have to resort to that after dropping this kind of money?

So funny you mention White Castle...when I wrote my original reply, it ended with, "What are you cooking--White Castle burgers?", then I thought that was too much and deleted it!

Also, I never thought of widely spaced grill bars as a conspiracy to sell grill toppers, planchas, griddles, etc. but maybe you're right! :)

Going to any size of round/rod grate bars is going to be an adjustment from me once I upgrade from my old Genesis Gold :(

hgbE9Yg.jpg

I just put my new SE-410 together yesterday, and will be taking it for it's maiden voyage tonight, but I had a few questions...
1. Do they make, or is there any word from Weber, that they will be making the "gourmet bbq system" compatible grates for the new Genesis II 410's?
2. Does anyone have the rotisserie attachment? How close to the grates does it sit? Pics installed?
3. Will the accessory handle light from the previous genesis fit the new II's?

1. Do they make, or is there any word from Weber, that they will be making the "gourmet bbq system" compatible grates for the new Genesis II 410's?

I'm pretty surprised they didn't just go ahead and include the GBS grates with any of the new Genesis II models, not even the LX. I'd think not having to spend going on $100 for them would help spur adoption of the accessories... it's one thing to say "Hey, I'll drop $30 for the pizza stone or poultry roaster" but something else if you have to get the grates too. It's not like it would have cost that much more to just make all the grates that way. I like the GBS and I have a few of the items, but I'm really wondering if it's going to survive at this point.

As for the grill out handle lights, I'd think they'd work. It looks like the LX models have them included.

Honestly the way these grills are configured a rotisserie is a waste of money. Tried using a rotisserie on my Summit and all I got was overcooked ends of the food. Without a dedicated rotisserie burner or being made with the burners going across the grill instead of front to back they just don't work very well

As for the grill out handle lights, I'd think they'd work. It looks like the LX models have them included.
Handles are different between base model and LX, a little smaller diameter on the base model, I think. Might give it a try, though.

UPDATE: Checked the handles today, despite being of different design, they appear to be the same diameter between both models, so the LX light should work on the base model.

I'll take some calipers to the handles on mine when I cook on it in a few hours, but in the meantime here is the warranty information copied directly from Weber's website when I pull up the "my registered grills" section for my SE-410 I purchased yesterday and registered today 1/30/2017. I know a few people have had questions about the warranty length, etc.
Warranty Information

Cookbox: no rust-through/burn through (2 years paint, excluding fading or discoloration) (10 years) - Expires 01/2027
Lid assembly: no rust-through/burn through (2 years paint, excluding fading or discoloration) (10 years) - Expires 01/2027
Stainless Steel Burner Tubes (10 years) - Expires 01/2027
Stainless Steel Cooking Grates (10 years) - Expires 01/2027
Stainless Steel Flavorizer Bars (10 years) - Expires 01/2027
Ignition system (excluding battery and battery damage) (10 years) - Expires 01/2027
Grease management system: no rust-through/burn-through (10 years) - Expires 01/2027
All Remaining Parts (2 years) - Expires 01/2019

Picked up the Genesis II E-310 yesterday after driving myself crazy trying to decide on which model I wanted. It was between the Spirit E310, E330, and Genesis E310. Home Depot had The Genesis II in stock so I went for it. Couldn't wait any longer. My first Weber gasser! Now I just need to put it together.

Honestly the way these grills are configured a rotisserie is a waste of money. Tried using a rotisserie on my Summit and all I got was overcooked ends of the food. Without a dedicated rotisserie burner or being made with the burners going across the grill instead of front to back they just don't work very well

I have not heard you say a single positive thing on all your posts lol, just sayin. I just purchased the rotisserie for my new SE-410, and am expecting good results. I'll post them.

My remarks about the rotisserie have NOTHING to do with your specific model. It has to do with ANY product (Weber or not) specifically to the performance of rotisserie cooking with the burner layout. If you had bothered to even read my remark on this you would note that it is based on personal experience with my own Weber Summit 450 (a very similar product to your 410). I installed my rotisserie on it (turns out my old Genesis unit is the exact same one specified for the 450) and the results were disappointing at best. I tried a few different items on it (rotisserie chicken, rotisserie pork loin and a rotisserie beef). Every item was only mediocre in results at best due to the burner layout of the Summit and not having a rotisserie burner. Only the "ends" of the food cooked and by the time the center portion of the food cooked the ends were WAY over done. So before you point something like this out READ the whole thing not just what you want to but the whole thing.
If you think about why you would want to use a rotisserie it is to be able to apply relatively high heat to a larger cut of meat (or perhaps a pineapple which I have done) EVENLY across the entire "roast" without having to worry about flare ups and such from dripping fats (or sugars in the case of the pineapple). There is no way possible to accomplish this (either on your shiny new 410) or my Summit 450 (or even on my Wolf for that matter unless I turn on the rear IR burner).
Now you may achieve results that satisfy you personally but like I indicated they don't satisfy me. My remarks about the rotisserie in your case were no more negative toward your new unit than either of my grills with N/S burners.
Now for the record I am disheartened by Weber's use of Chinese manufacturing and overall cheapening of the product while raising the prices to levels they do not belong. Had they (Weber) done something positive with this outsourcing (like INCREASING quality and content and reducing or at least holding pricing) I would not fell quite so badly about them.
Wish you all the luck in the world with your new grill......................................really. I just believe my $$$ should be kept on our own shores. Or as I said give me something for the trade off.

My remarks about the rotisserie have NOTHING to do with your specific model. It has to do with ANY product (Weber or not) specifically to the performance of rotisserie cooking with the burner layout. If you had bothered to even read my remark on this you would note that it is based on personal experience with my own Weber Summit 450 (a very similar product to your 410). I installed my rotisserie on it (turns out my old Genesis unit is the exact same one specified for the 450) and the results were disappointing at best. I tried a few different items on it (rotisserie chicken, rotisserie pork loin and a rotisserie beef). Every item was only mediocre in results at best due to the burner layout of the Summit and not having a rotisserie burner. Only the "ends" of the food cooked and by the time the center portion of the food cooked the ends were WAY over done. So before you point something like this out READ the whole thing not just what you want to but the whole thing.
If you think about why you would want to use a rotisserie it is to be able to apply relatively high heat to a larger cut of meat (or perhaps a pineapple which I have done) EVENLY across the entire "roast" without having to worry about flare ups and such from dripping fats (or sugars in the case of the pineapple). There is no way possible to accomplish this (either on your shiny new 410) or my Summit 450 (or even on my Wolf for that matter unless I turn on the rear IR burner).
Now you may achieve results that satisfy you personally but like I indicated they don't satisfy me. My remarks about the rotisserie in your case were no more negative toward your new unit than either of my grills with N/S burners.
Now for the record I am disheartened by Weber's use of Chinese manufacturing and overall cheapening of the product while raising the prices to levels they do not belong. Had they (Weber) done something positive with this outsourcing (like INCREASING quality and content and reducing or at least holding pricing) I would not fell quite so badly about them.
Wish you all the luck in the world with your new grill......................................really. I just believe my $$$ should be kept on our own shores. Or as I said give me something for the trade off.

All of your points have merit, and I do agree with you about how the rotisserie works. The older horizontal design probably was better for that kind of cooking. Not really my thing though. So.... Okay.

Got mine together and did a test run with chicken... Love it.

While not a killer value as in the 90's and 2000's they're still the gold standard 2k and under considering features, accessories, replacement parts and even still support. There might be some brands better in a particular category but not all around.

Back