New Charcoal Grill Break In-Would You Do Anything Different?

I am probably going to use all six bags before I venture into the world of coal.

And I figure I will be using the coal baskets with the medium height lower grate to start. Get a handle on the direct/ indirect grilling before I go on to low and slow.

Thank you Dan!

And yeah, it was good that you mentioned removing the zip ties just in case. I still can’t comprehend how someone with buy a high end charcoal grill in 2017 and never use it.
Sign up for Ace Rewards if you have an Ace Hardware nearby. They run coupons all year long and you can use them towards charcoals. Way to get a small discount over time.

Personally, I'd just burn the cheapest one you have. All you're doing is burning off the manufacturing oils and seasoning the grill.

Post your cook pics. Excited for you to enjoy your new grill.

Last edited:
A gorgeous day in New Jersey, and I have some free time:

I power washed the entire grill and used cleanser powder on the stainless grill parts. I figured it’s never going to be this clean again, so why not?

A01E64CA-6388-4392-B38D-D0F9E52126D2.jpeg

Here she sits in her new home. We moved the Genesis to the deck - my wife likes to grill marinated boneless chicken on it so she is happy.
2E7B952C-3B7C-43FB-94A4-B1E1CA5A3065.jpeg
Per @Brett-EDH ‘s thread recommendations, I want to use the charcoal baskets as much as possible. I filled them up and dumped the contents into the chimney starter. The gas assist feature worked really well imo280BDEC2-1891-4D6D-B9E2-CC89DA6B0739.jpeg156003B3-6F7A-4A5C-9D70-E4E7F27503F3.jpeg

In a few minutes, it was blazing so I shut it off- very nice for a novice like me.9FB10D16-545F-4C7F-8A85-A2ADACAB2556.jpeg
I dumped the hot coals into the baskets snd moved them off to the side.B126F3BA-D34D-4A43-B3C3-35881C191C93.jpeg
Closed the lid, opened the vents to full, and letting it get as hot as possible.

Probably just going to let it burn until the coals are finished.

Thanks again all the members who responded to this thread and everyone else here. Very happy to be here with such a fine group of enthusiasts.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Probably just going to let it burn until the coals are finished.

Now that there's some ash to sweep, you may want to check the sweeps to make sure they are snug to the bottom of the kettle. The tighter the fit the better for holding low temps and shutting it down.

What's your first cook going to be ?

Recco: when using briqs, sweep the ash sweeper a few times during the cook and when you’re done so your food drippings that fall into the ash don’t firm up which will build up at the bottom of the Kamado.

I use only use briqs when doing low and slow (deflector plate in place) now due to the mess they make and I don’t like how the ash becomes hard when hit with meat drippings.

Beautiful grill. Enjoy every cook on it! I’m making carne asada for football today and NY strips for dinner for the fam.

Now that there's some ash to sweep, you may want to check the sweeps to make sure they are snug to the bottom of the kettle. The tighter the fit the better for holding low temps and shutting it down.

What's your first cook going to be ?

Thanks Dan- I was just showing the grill to my son and we were trying out the sweep- some fine ash dust getting left behind- I’ll check it out more closely once the grill cools down.

We are having flank steak tonight so I am thinking about cooking it on the charcoal grill - Indirect for 20 minutes and a minute or two over the coals. And some baked potatoes that will be on for about 40-50 minutes - I guess.

After that it will be burgers and chicken until I get a good handle on the temperature settings.

Then on to some nicer cuts of beef.
Recco: when using briqs, sweep the ash sweeper a few times during the cook and when you’re done so your food drippings that fall into the ash don’t firm up which will build up at the bottom of the Kamado.

I use only use briqs when doing low and slow (deflector plate in place) now due to the mess they make and I don’t like how the ash becomes hard when hit with meat drippings.

Beautiful grill. Enjoy every cook on it! I’m making carne asada for football today and NY strips for dinner for the fam.
Thanks Brett- I have about six bags of briquettes to go through courtesy of the man I bought the grill from.

I will keep a close watch on the bottom of the grill and keep it clean. I read you like to cover the deflector plate with aluminum foil, right?

I won’t be using the grate in the bottom position for awhile except for lighting the coals with the gas assist- is it possible to use the deflector plate with the coal baskets sitting on it for regular/ not low and slow cooking? That might help keep the ash/ drippings from gunking up the sweep.

Just a suggestion, when I do flank steak I run “indirect set up” with the baskets to either side, you can do some kind of vege in the center and go hot fast over the baskets about four minutes each side, going from one basket to the other when you flip. Then, you have the juice dropping on the coals and giving the nice crust which we all strive for. You can do it reverse sear if you like but, I’d get the spuds on and have a cocktail then start the flank steak. That’s just me.

Just a suggestion, when I do flank steak I run “indirect set up” with the baskets to either side, you can do some kind of vege in the center and go hot fast over the baskets about four minutes each side, going from one basket to the other when you flip. Then, you have the juice dropping on the coals and giving the nice crust which we all strive for. You can do it reverse sear if you like but, I’d get the spuds on and have a cocktail then start the flank steak. That’s just me.
That all sounds good.

I’ll give it a go, including the cocktails, and let you know how it works out.

Thanks Timothy!

That all sounds good.

I’ll give it a go, including the cocktails, and let you know how it works out.

Thanks Timothy!
Thank you, it’s just a slightly different approach, I’m fond of ”Perfect Manhattans” when it’s this temperature or vodka with a LONG twist. Small ones are better, they stay colder. Cheers!

Thanks Dan- I was just showing the grill to my son and we were trying out the sweep- some fine ash dust getting left behind- I’ll check it out more closely once the grill cools down.

We are having flank steak tonight so I am thinking about cooking it on the charcoal grill - Indirect for 20 minutes and a minute or two over the coals. And some baked potatoes that will be on for about 40-50 minutes - I guess.

After that it will be burgers and chicken until I get a good handle on the temperature settings.

Then on to some nicer cuts of beef.

Thanks Brett- I have about six bags of briquettes to go through courtesy of the man I bought the grill from.

I will keep a close watch on the bottom of the grill and keep it clean. I read you like to cover the deflector plate with aluminum foil, right?

I won’t be using the grate in the bottom position for awhile except for lighting the coals with the gas assist- is it possible to use the deflector plate with the coal baskets sitting on it for regular/ not low and slow cooking? That might help keep the ash/ drippings from gunking up the sweep.
Yes, for all my LAS (not the airport) I heavy duty foil my deflector plate which makes for quick and easy cleanups. I store my deflector plate on the bottom cart rack when not in use so no food on it equals not vermin or ants on it. Just a way of keeping a clean work space.

Coals need maximum airflow to breathe and burn so I’ve never placed the CBs atop the deflector when cooking. Don’t know if that would work.

For direct cooking, I usually use the CBs as a circle under the center cook grate GBS center hole. I’ll place heavy duty foil around the CBs so I’m covering the space below where I’ll go indirect after searing atop the center grate.

Basically I prefer to go direct sear both meat sides and then move to indirect to finish up. This foiling below the cooking grate has really reduced junk getting into the grill and make for easier cleanups.

From my experience, using two CBs with JD and in a center circle, dome temps when closed, on indirect gets to around 450° very consistently.

Grate temps, when I use my CI grate, with JD as my source, I have measured 1100° with my IR gun. This is my goto for searing steaks, salmon, ahi, boneless chicken, sausages and more. That direct heat sets a nice char on the outside and then I move to indirect to finish temps.

You can also do direct over coals, in CBs with the CBs on the lower coal grate position. IIRC @JohnTak prefers this setup for more forgiveness. I do this setup when using live fire, oak specifically, to cook tri tips.

If you get to that point, but a second coal grate so you’ll have the one at the bottom and you can add the other one in the upper position as you need it. This way you’re never fanagaling with coal grates. I have the two grates and it’s made life simpler for me.

Last edited:
The center runway method? Banked left and right and nothing down the center? I love this method too. Works great for spatchcock birds and chicken halves or bone in chicken pieces.

1665946947159.jpeg

Success!

I cooked the steaks directly above the hot coals 3 min per side and let them rest for only 5 minutes, but I knew from the first slice it was too rare.
3448611F-01E3-4CBF-841C-F334E5DB5DBB.jpeg
Put them back on directly above the coals for 3 minutes each side and let rest another 5 minutes and it was very good- my wife likes well done and I like rare and we both found it to our liking.

9F223E0E-C770-47B5-BE6E-18AE595B55FE.jpeg

It’s almost dusk and we are headed out to sit around the fire table and have our long anticipated cocktails.

Thanks again Timothy!

Success!

I cooked the steaks directly above the hot coals 3 min per side and let them rest for only 5 minutes, but I knew from the first slice it was too rare.
View attachment 61139
Put them back on directly above the coals for 3 minutes each side and let rest another 5 minutes and it was very good- my wife likes well done and I like rare and we both found it to our liking.

View attachment 61138

It’s almost dusk and we are headed out to sit around the fire table and have our long anticipated cocktails.

Thanks again Timothy!
I probably should have prefaced my timing for the pretty rare doneness that I prefer. My bad. I’m glad that your inaugural run turned out so well. Those look great!

Never serve undercooked food again. A must have for any chef or backyard enthusiast. I swear by mine. Perfect food every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never serve undercooked food again. A must have for any chef or backyard enthusiast. I swear by mine. Perfect food every time.

I have a similar thermometer but flank steak is difficult to know for sure.

I’m glad @Timothy F. Lewis recommend the quick cook- I have cooked flank steak on low heat on the gasser and it usually is pretty good.

It’s all a learning curve but the steak tonight was discernibly better- a slight crunch and nice flavor- the wife is happy so, you know how that goes…lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Those looked really good. Nicely done !

I have a similar thermometer but flank steak is difficult to know for sure.

When I cook a thin cut at high heat for short direct sears, I keep a serving dish warm on the side. When I "think" its done I'll pull it and let it rest a minute or two and then temp it. If the temp's too low it's easy enough to put it back over the high heat again for a couple minutes per side to cook it to perfection.

I would like to say I'm experienced enough to say I can feel when its done, but the instant read keeps me honest.

Great first cook !

Back