New Charcoal Grill Break In-Would You Do Anything Different?

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
I just bought a new Weber charcoal grill, and it’s the first charcoal grill I’ve owned.

I have been reading up on topics relating to charcoal grilling and have a reasonable idea on what to do, but interested in opinions on what you did or would do differently with your first few cooks.

For the record, I bought a never used Summit Charcoal and it was a sizable investment- trying to get it right out of the gate.

The weather has been conspiring to keep me from using it by raining heavily all weekend, so I have some time.05947A4D-AB1E-40EE-BD4E-0AB4C79D8F44.jpeg

IIRC, this was a never used WSCGC.

I would just cook on it. The lid vent will take a while to gunk up enough to stay in position when you open the lid, so just be mindful that you'll need to watch that every time you close the lid.

I would check the bottom sweeps to make sure they close completely.

I marked the bottom vent positions so I knew where the end of the "P" section is, and where fully open is.

20221002_115709.jpg

Do you have a good set of coal tongs ?ones that are long? I have a set I only use for coal and don't use for food.

My first "cook" I didn't cook any food. I did a burn in with charcoal before cooking on it. I had over a decade of cooking on my BGE and many years cooking on a kettle so part of the burn in was to see how the temperature adjustments went.

I got a pile of coal going in the char baskets. Do you have a Chimney? I have one but only use it when I'm really going for high heat.

Anyway, light a couple of CBs of coal get it going, Once the coals are started, close the lid, leave it full-open bottom with the top vent flipped up until it gets above 400, then close the top. let it keep going to 500 and then try to bring it down to 400 on the lid thermometer leaving the top open, and close the bottom up a bit.

It's one way to start learning the temp ranges.

I think my first cook would be something you like to grill. setup an indirect zone and just have fun with it.

Chicken thighs are pretty forgiving.

@Brett-EDH has some great techniques so I'd follow his cooks.

welcome to the club.

Less is more. You’ll need less coal in a WSC than any other cooker as these grills really hold heat well.

I use the char baskets nearly 100% of the time. Makes for easy cleanups and coal management.

I use old paper towels (with bacon grease) on the as my starters to light my coals. I’ll even light coals in the CBs and leave the lid open to help the others coals catch fire and light.

Use foil as drip pans as much as you can. Makes for keeping the grill clean super easy.

Always sweep the ash before and after you’ve cooked. This way hard ash deposits are less likely to form.

And yes, sort in Photo Gallery by my name and you’ll see a year’s worth of cooks and techniques. It’s the fastest way to learn this cooker.

Congrats and welcome to the club. You’ve got the BEST charcoal cooker out there. Enjoy it!!!!

I agree with both of the above posts mostly, first, wash the cooking grate, buy some steaks.
Get a chimney! Light up a full load and dump that in the baskets placed either in the center or, just off to the side. Grill, eat, repeat! The nuances of the kettle will come with time and experience. You have one of the best pieces of “backyard recreation” ever designed. Don’t over think everything, this is a great spot to ask the questions and get OPINIONS, none of it is law.
Have fun, mistakes are just part of the learning curve, I’ve had my share, anyone that says they have never had one is spinning a yarn. Some will be better than others but, once you get the feel, it’s smooth sailing!

That's a lot of horsepower for a first time charcoal user, keep reading & asking questions at this forum.

Do you have a good set of coal tongs ?ones that are long? I have a set I only use for coal and don't use for food.

My first "cook" I didn't cook any food. I did a burn in with charcoal before cooking on it. I had over a decade of cooking on my BGE and many years cooking on a kettle so part of the burn in was to see how the temperature adjustments went.

I got a pile of coal going in the char baskets. Do you have a Chimney? I have one but only use it when I'm really going for high heat.

Anyway, light a couple of CBs of coal get it going, Once the coals are started, close the lid, leave it full-open bottom with the top vent flipped up until it gets above 400, then close the top. let it keep going to 500 and then try to bring it down to 400 on the lid thermometer leaving the top open, and close the bottom up a bit.

It's one way to start learning the temp ranges.

I think my first cook would be something you like to grill. setup an indirect zone and just have fun with it.

Chicken thighs are pretty forgiving.

@Brett-EDH has some great techniques so I'd follow his cooks.

welcome to the club.
All solid tips!

I have the coal management tools ready to go.

And just taking the grill for a little test drive before cooking food is a great idea. I am curious about tinkering with the controls and the effects on temperature so your advice gives me a good starting place.

Thanks!

One “add on” I have found I like a lot is a “Vortex” (Marty Owens is a contributor to this site) for crispy chicken, it is an investment which you will find extremely valuable. That does fall under the aegis of “not first week” of support tools which I have come to LOVE for wings especially.
As for a full chimney being a “lot of horsepower” I say fiddle de dee. Learn the extremes and back things off or increase as you learn.
Importantly, when you take things off, shut down the vents, then the leftover coals can be used on your next cook. I generally use maybe 1/3 chimney of new with the “leftover” coals on top and get the most out of every briquette possible. The WSM always gets full fresh coal, if there is anything left after shut down, it goes to the kettle, I’m a cheap so and so. Very rarely do I use a full chimney of new coal unless I’m running two or three kettles. Yes, it has happened, for Labor Day, I ran five! Four charcoal and the gasser.
Feel free to PM me for personal OPINION, again, none of this is Gospel.
Edit…
I grill in all weather on my kettles, rain does not tend to stop me, if I can get a chimney lit, I can grill!

One “add on” I have found I like a lot is a “Vortex” (Marty Owens is a contributor to this site) for crispy chicken, it is an investment which you will find extremely valuable. That does fall under the aegis of “not first week” of support tools which I have come to LOVE for wings especially.
As for a full chimney being a “lot of horsepower” I say fiddle de dee. Learn the extremes and back things off or increase as you learn.
Importantly, when you take things off, shut down the vents, then the leftover coals can be used on your next cook. I generally use maybe 1/3 chimney of new with the “leftover” coals on top and get the most out of every briquette possible. The WSM always gets full fresh coal, if there is anything left after shut down, it goes to the kettle, I’m a cheap so and so. Very rarely do I use a full chimney of new coal unless I’m running two or three kettles. Yes, it has happened, for Labor Day, I ran five! Four charcoal and the gasser.
Feel free to PM me for personal OPINION, again, none of this is Gospel.
Edit…
I grill in all weather on my kettles, rain does not tend to stop me, if I can get a chimney lit, I can grill!

Please share all your personal opinions. I learn by reading others opinions. The WSK is still new to me.

There is rarely “Too much heat” just, poor zone management.
The kettle is a masterpiece of grilling design.
Use charcoal baskets pretty much all the time.
Indirect set up is critical for any “roasting“ or rotisserie cooking (I use both baskets per the 1967 Weber booklet)
Always close vents, save “used charcoal” for the next cook. (I’m cheap)
The Vortex is your friend for chicken or, high heat steak cooking.
Smoke is a condiment.
Beer when it’s hot.
Vodka when it’s not miserably ho.
Perfect Manhattans when it cools off.
Beer when it’s cold.
Perfect Manhattans when it’s pretty cold.
Vodka when it’s “arctic cold”.
Anything CAN be done on a grill, something’s are better in an oven so, use the appropriate heat source available.
I love Bluegrass music, good friends, most booze, and sleeping late when I can. (That means low and slow works for a lot of big pieces of proteins).
My family is the reason I want to cook well.
My wife is the reason I get up in the morning!
When I have gatherings, my home is a “non political” zone.
I have not met a calorie that I have not found interesting… some, I’ve liked others, not so much.
If there’s anything else, I will answer specific inquiries on a need to decide what cocktail is necessary basis.
EVERYTHING else is subject to personal preference and taste.
Dan, I think we need to meet! I’ll bring something to grill and something to swill!

I think that covers any grill related opinions aside from storage and restoration ideas...Storage? Never enough, restoration? Never enough time.
Does that cover enough ground?
Oh, opinions are like noses, many smell but any can get stuck where they may not belong.

Last edited:
There is rarely “Too much heat” just, poor zone management.
The kettle is a masterpiece of grilling design.
Use charcoal baskets pretty much all the time.
Indirect set up is critical for any “roasting“ or rotisserie cooking (I use both baskets per the 1967 Weber booklet)
Always close vents, save “used charcoal” for the next cook. (I’m cheap)
The Vortex is your friend for chicken or, high heat steak cooking.
Smoke is a condiment.
Beer when it’s hot.
Vodka when it’s not miserably ho.
Perfect Manhattans when it cools off.
Beer when it’s cold.
Perfect Manhattans when it’s pretty cold.
Vodka when it’s “arctic cold”.
Anything CAN be done on a grill, something’s are better in an oven so, use the appropriate heat source available.
I love Bluegrass music, good friends, most booze, and sleeping late when I can. (That means low and slow works for a lot of big pieces of proteins).
My family is the reason I want to cook well.
My wife is the reason I get up in the morning!
When I have gatherings, my home is a “non political” zone.
I have not met a calorie that I have not found interesting… some, I’ve liked others, not so much.
If there’s anything else, I will answer specific inquiries on a need to decide what cocktail is necessary basis.
EVERYTHING else is subject to personal preference and taste.
Dan, I think we need to meet! I’ll bring something to grill and something to swill!

I think that covers any grill related opinions aside from storage and restoration ideas...Storage? Never enough, restoration? Never enough time.
Does that cover enough ground?
Oh, opinions are like noses, many smell but any can get stuck where they may not belong.
Wisdom and wit that only comes with age and experience. You only left one thing out Timothy.
Never listen to your doctor when he, or she, tell you what to eat or drink!

Wisdom and wit that only comes with age and experience. You only left one thing out Timothy.
Never listen to your doctor when he, or she, tell you what to eat or drink!
Within reason, being a relatively new diabetic I’m still learning the ropes of what is or is NOT acceptable boundaries, my Dr. And I differ on beverages! I can deal with most of the edible restrictions but, I’m very fond of a cocktail!!

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I have been busy as I took @Brett-EDH ’s advice and read through all his threads in the photo gallery. Some amazing looking cooks there- props to Brett for taking the time to share this.

Hopefully it stops raining soon- we are going to Cape May this weekend to celebrate my wife’s birthday. After that I should be able to fire up this beauty and start getting the hang of charcoal grilling.

I think I have many of the basics covered thanks to your posts.

Cheers!

First sunny day in recent memory.

Question- I got 6 bags of coal with the grill:
4 bags of “embers”
1 bag of Kingsford
1 full but opened bag of royal oak

Which one to christen the grill? I won’t be cooking, just burning it in

460431BD-FB2B-4C94-8AE5-58766DC0F927.jpeg20034339-22C0-4936-953B-16892A5D0536.jpeg2DF55DF8-E608-4B69-B9D2-74C37F6DE21C.jpeg

I would use whichever bag of briquettes are cheapest. I did a burn-in on my in with some 3 year old KBB that was sitting in a bucket in a shed along with scraps from my BGE and my Kettle. It really doesn't matter so use something you'll likely not buy more of, like the KBB or the Embers.

I would use whichever bag of briquettes are cheapest. I did a burn-in on my in with some 3 year old KBB that was sitting in a bucket in a shed along with scraps from my BGE and my Kettle. It really doesn't matter so use something you'll likely not buy more of, like the KBB or the Embers.

I am probably going to use all six bags before I venture into the world of coal.

And I figure I will be using the coal baskets with the medium height lower grate to start. Get a handle on the direct/ indirect grilling before I go on to low and slow.

Thank you Dan!

And yeah, it was good that you mentioned removing the zip ties just in case. I still can’t comprehend how someone with buy a high end charcoal grill in 2017 and never use it.

Back