New Burner Not easy to Light

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I just received this burner set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWLKQ1J/?tag=tvwb-20 for my 320.
Even with hole cleaning the old one just wasn't propagating the flame the way I liked.
The new one does it well BUT as the title shows it is VERY difficult to get lit. I have to run the sparker with gas flowing for a good 20 seconds or more before the burner will ignite. The old one I could push the button and it would light in one or 2 "snaps" of spark. (I have the battery igniter). I have to say if I had the clicker style it would be awful. I know there is good spark btw because you can see the blue spark jumping away on the burner tube.

The only thing I can think of would be the new burner not having the same design/number of holes near the igniter as the factory burner, reducing the access of fuel to spark.

93B0D371-91FE-4C7B-A702-019174B01307.jpeg
there’s several additional holes here that might not be present on your burner.

If that's the case, I would imagine a few drilled holes of the same diameter would solve this issue quickly.

I just received this burner set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWLKQ1J/?tag=tvwb-20 for my 320.
Even with hole cleaning the old one just wasn't propagating the flame the way I liked.
The new one does it well BUT as the title shows it is VERY difficult to get lit. I have to run the sparker with gas flowing for a good 20 seconds or more before the burner will ignite. The old one I could push the button and it would light in one or 2 "snaps" of spark. (I have the battery igniter). I have to say if I had the clicker style it would be awful. I know there is good spark btw because you can see the blue spark jumping away on the burner tube.

Holy cow, they are giving away those burners!
$10.59 plus an extra 10% off?!
That's an amazing price. Might have to buy a set as a backup at the price point. No way it gets lower than that.

I bought this set at $19 earlier in the summer and it's been working flawlessly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHX2N58/?tag=tvwb-20

Yah, I just ordered one. I did a quicky clean up on a Q3xx for the SIL a week or two ago and the burner showed corrosion but was otherwise still in good shape after a quick going over with a drill and wire wheel. But, at $10, I will buy one as a backup. I still have another Q3xx sitting out next to the garage and I don't even know what the burner looks like in that one. But, if it needs one, I will have one. Man, I wish I had more time for rehabbing right now.

Good luck with the modifications Larry. Let us know how it goes.

Total junk. Even after modification the burner STILL will not light with the igniter. When I compared them to the real thing, holes don't even come close to matching the OEM Weber burner! Hopefully I can send them back as I did modify them trying to match up hole location. Apparently the overall length is such the ignition holes will not get close enough to the igniter to light it off. I advise against these thing totally!

Total junk. Even after modification the burner STILL will not light with the igniter. When I compared them to the real thing, holes don't even come close to matching the OEM Weber burner! Hopefully I can send them back as I did modify them trying to match up hole location. Apparently the overall length is such the ignition holes will not get close enough to the igniter to light it off. I advise against these thing totally!
Sorry to hear that but thanks for the heads up!

The on-sale OnlyFire burner for my Q120 arrived today...the first concern is that it interferes with the original igniter. The igniter has been redesigned and may be needed for a proper fit. The burner jets (holes) are larger and fewer than OEM, too, which could be a problem. Dialed all the way down, the flames may be so low that a gust of wind could cause a flame-out.

I had to bend the pointed triangular area of the original metal collector away from the burner for clearance...but as of now the spark jumps to the burner tube and it lights off first time, every time. More testing to follow.

Last edited:
The burner jets are too large. At the lowest temp setting, it is far too easy to cause a flameout. The slightest breeze will cause sections of the burner to extinguish.

And this burner is also not easy to light...while it started just fine earlier in the day, this evening it's taking too many strikes to light. It's going back for return.

The picture on the left is the Weber burner at the lowest setting. Note how tall the slot jet flame is. The picture on the right is the OnlyFire on low. The OnlyFire burner is longer overall with a shorter loop, has ~10% more jet area and lacks a venturi, which might explain the iffy ignition.

Attachments

• 20200917_205447.jpg
    20200917_205447.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200919_204339.jpg
    20200919_204339.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well the burner is a POS. I started return process. I will take extra time and do a deep clean on the OEM and from now on only order OEM I guess

So yesterday I boxed up the aftermarket burner set I bought. I discovered the reason it did not work BTW. Weber designed the Q3XX to light the center burner first then the ring burner. Anyway here you can see the "new" center burner after I added my mod to put another hole closer to the spark emitter. Still no dice. If you look carefully you can see the burner is about 1/2" too short and does not come close enough to the emitter to light off. The video is the OEM burners after a good cleaning of the holes. Note when it lights it's so fast you can barely hear one click of the spark (I have the battery sparker) which btw I like. Q320 center burner.jpg

And this
video

I'm running into this exact problem with these burners ( amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHX2N58/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

At first, I thought it was a problem with the igniter I purchased as it's not the exact "right" igniter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HG2F4G/?tag=tvwb-20

I've been playing around with the original "spark box" with different piezo configurations.

2087440-1.jpg
but I'm not having any luck. I'm guessing our new burner tubes have the same design flaw. My problem is that I don't have the original burner tubes. Anyone else solve this problem? It's been driving me nuts.

Holy cow, they are giving away those burners!
$10.59 plus an extra 10% off?!
That's an amazing price. Might have to buy a set as a backup at the price point. No way it gets lower than that.

I bought this set at $19 earlier in the summer and it's been working flawlessly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHX2N58/?tag=tvwb-20
I bought that exact burner tube set and can't get them to ignite with the igniter. Do you mind sharing a couple photos of what your igniter setup looks like in the burner box?

Last edited:
I bought that exact burner tube set and can't get them to ignite with the igniter. Do you mind sharing a couple photos of what your igniter setup looks like in the burner box?
If you look at the photo in my post you will see why mine did not light. See how far away from the spark box the first set of holes is? Sorry I did not take the same photo with the oem burner in there. But, I will tell you the OEM one sits about 1/2" to 3/4" further under the spark area. Allowing the spark to ignite gas right inside it's actual spark area

Back