New build questions

Yeah 200 is really low so what's probably happening is that it is banging up against one of the ends and jamming? I've not seen too many of these servos but those I've seen, their range should be centered on 1500us.

i have plenty of play in the wires.

Another question... fully open, would that be 1/4 or FULL open, i have it set to open full at 1/4 moon.

i have no idea what the numbers mean, i was just looking for where i could set it to be open and to be closed, those numbers worked for what i wanted, should i beef them up?

I have my towerpro at 950-2350. 200-1650 seems pretty low, but I'm also new at setting my servo,

If you look at the two sets of numbers they are 1400 and 1450 apart, so they are both traveling about the same distance. The actual numbers you use are somewhat subjective, it depends on the position the servo is in when you mate the parts, as long as both extremes are within the servos operational range it's all good...
What I do is first set the numbers in my HM config, roughly 800-2400 and Inverted Output, and then make the HM go to 100% with the servo connected and THEN mate the parts together so the damper is fully open. When the HM goes to 0% the damper should fully close. At that point you can tweak the settings a little bit if you are not getting fully closed/open action.

Last edited:
i have plenty of play in the wires.

Another question... fully open, would that be 1/4 or FULL open, i have it set to open full at 1/4 moon.

Hard to answer that question in terms of moon cycle, because the opening in the roto damper is kinda the shape of a partial moon. Fully open means the moon on the top part sits exactly on top the moon on the bottom part so it is opened as much possible. This is the way the damper should be when the HM is showing the blower/servo is at 100%.

As Bryan pointed out more explicitly, and I noted by saying "as long as the settings are within the operation range of your servo", if you set the low number too low, or the high number too high, it will try to make the servo go beyond it's operational range and it can do all kinds of crazy things like, jam, vibrate, even melt! I don't know what the exact limits are on the servo off hand, but somewhere in the middle of the range is the best way to go.

So take my advice if you want this to go easy...

Separate the body of the damper from the barrel

Set your HM to run 800 - 2400 with Inverted output.

Make your HM go to 100% blower/servo output

NOW mate the body and barrel so the moon shaped openings sit directly on top of each other.

Then make the HM go to 0%, it should close completely. Then make the HM go back to 100%, it should open completely. If you are not getting complete open/close tweak your numbers SLIGHTLY until you do. The easiest way to tweak the settings is put your HM into the position that is not proper, then alter the number in the Config little by little until it is proper. When you save the config you should see the servo move just a little, if it doesn't move then you probably altered the wrong number.

Last edited:
That's what worked for me in setting my servo. With the numbers I referred to in my last post the servo stops when it's closed and as soon as it's opens it stops, no humming in either direction.

Back