New build questions

JHalasz

TVWBB Fan
I just built my 4.1.4 board (very cool), but I have a few questions

I get "no pit probe" on the screen, I have a probe in port 0, its a et732.did I screw something up?

The ambient temp is on probe 3 and working just fine, its registering a little high but no biggy.

Is there a way to run this thing manually to check that my servo and blower are working?

I guess as soon as i get pit probe working i can just mess with the settings?

help.

i got it, the probe was in too far... odd

does anyone know the proper cat 5 color config, i think mine is a bit messed up as my servo goes crazy

OK couple things. The 732 probes have several issues. First, the plug is too long, but you figured that one out already. Next, they tend to drop off unless you ground the braid to something. Often times the braids of two probes will touch each other and the 732's will pick up a ground from another (different type) probe and work fine, but run them solo or with the braid completely isolated and it may drop out. Finally, they also tend to drop out at the low end of room temp, but heated up a bit they work fine.

On your servo freaking out, could be a number of issues. If you have the Servo Pulse Duration settings out of the range of your servo it can freak out. I am running my roto damper with 800 and 2400 with Inverted output, you can start there for a good starting point and adjust as needed for your setup. If your power supply is weak it may not have enough juice to push the servo and the blower which can cause freak outs and HM resets. Also, if you have to force the servo into the hole it mates with then it is too tight and will likely bind, so loosen that hole up until the servo goes in there without much pressure needed. Finally, if you tightened down the servo screw to the point the damper is stiff the servo will have a hard time moving the unit and will struggle and make noise.

As for the CAT5 wiring, I posted a diagram for that in the development log thread with explanation of the ins/out and various details.

fan is kicking on an off now, no problem, the servo is not operating though... anything i can do to test its power?

The servo needs +5v, Gnd, and the servo signal.... Red, Brown and Orange wires respectively... The CAT5 pinout for these wires are shown on the HM Schematic, and I also posted details about the CAT5 wiring in the Development Log thread recently.
What do you have in your Config for Servo Pulse Duration? Start with 800 - 2400 with Inverted Output selected and go from there. Post back more details if you need further assistance.

i put those values as you stated, and i verified that my pins are the same as well... not even a chirp from the servo, i have tried 3 servos now just to be sure...

ok, its working, bad cable AND bad rj45 jack... pfft, whatever, it works now.

Question...

When it is open it constantly buzzes, is that normal, it seems when i send it to the 2400 position it closes and shuts up, but open it's freaking out bzzzzz bzzzzz...

If you are making your own CAT5 cables, or have a spare you can sacrifice, try using a single ended cable and connect those three wires directly to the servo and see if it moves, this eliminates the possibility of a problem at the servo end connector. You can measure the +5v and ground that goes to the servo with a multimeter to make sure they are present. The servo signal lead on that board just goes directly from pin 14 on the ATmega to the CAT5 jack, so that is easy to trace and confirm with a multimeter, not much to go wrong there other than a short from a solder bridge somewhere or a bad solder connection on the ATMega or RJ45 jack... That said, not many 4.1.4 boards have been built and reported on so we can not be SURE there isn't some kind of error in that trace, so check continuity between your Servo Signal wire and pin 14 on the ATMega to confirm.

I guess I missed the post where you said it is working but buzzing.... I was focused on the post where you said you tried 3 servos without a chirp from any of them...

In the case of buzzing, first off, the Tower Pro MG90 servos are not all created equal. I have found some are stronger than others, some slightly larger than others, and some buzz more than others.

That said, things that will make your servo buzz in general are.... If you had to force the servo into its hole it can bind up and become hard to move even by hand, so widen that hole if you have to force it in there until it goes in without much pressure. Next, make sure your damper moves easily by hand, similar to how it moves when the damper parts are just pushed together without the screw in place. If when you install the screw the servo gets tight you can back off the screw until the damper moves freely again. Since the servo horn and screw do not rotate relative to each other or the servo shaft it shouldn't work loose on you even when not cranked down.

Last edited:
its "working" now, not real consistant, it gets stuck closing from time to time... my settings are 200 - 1650 and inverted

When it is open it constantly buzzes, is that normal, it seems when i send it to the 2400 position it closes and shuts up, but open it's freaking out bzzzzz bzzzzz...

Make sure the servo wire or blower wire isn't taught and pulling back on the damper when it is in the open position...

Back