New 22.5 - Broke in yesterday with 6 butts

John_H

TVWBB Member
I posted a question last week about whether or not I should smoke a smoker full of meat without seasoning first. After some help from this forum I decided to proceed. I got up around 5 and fired up smoker. I decided I would go with no water in the pan (gasps of horror) on the new WSM and just foil the pan. The outside temp was to be highs in the mid 50s. I lit about 25 Kingsford blue briquettes and proceeded with the minion method. The temp rocketed to 350 before I could close the vents some. I closed the vents to about 1/2 way and put on 48 pounds of pork shoulder at about 6am. Between all that cold meat and a few adjustments to the vents it settled in at 250 within about 30 minutes. After the first hour I hardly messed with the vents at all. I had to add charcoal twice. I took 4 of the butts off at 6pm and the last two about 7pm. After we ate, I spent the next hour and a half, vacuum sealing all that meat!! If you've never vacuum sealed your pulled pork for the freezer, I couldn't recommend it enough. You just take some out of the freezer put it in the oven covered with some apple juice and it tastes like you smoked it that day. I'm not really sure if it was all the meat on there or what but I didn't experience the high heat that others have in the 22.5. A few things thoughts on the 22.5 I have are below:

1) The temp on the 22.5 seemed more responsive on the 22.5. In other words when I adjusted the vents, the temp seemed to adjust quicker than on my 18.5.

2) It took a LOT of charcoal. I bought the Kingsford twin pack from Sam's Club. I forget how many pounds are in those bags but I used about a bag and a half. I was not used to adding charcoal for a 12 hour cook. The 18.5 seems much more efficient.

3) I loved all the room on the 22.5. It was so nice not having everything packed on there.

4) The first time I checked the meat I put the lid back on and it wouldn't fit!!! I was freaking out. I wasn't sure what to do. (I know, I know, you're saying, what do you mean it wouldn't fit?) So i would set the lid down and it appeared as if the base was bigger around than the lid. Finally, i started rotating the lid until at one position it would drop into place. It's as if either the lid or the middle section aren't perfectly round. This irritated me as I already had an issue with the door. I guess I'll call Weber to see what they recommend.

5) I forgot to take pics. This is my goal for my next smoke. I love seeing the pics on here.

Finally, Thanks to everyone on here for taking the time to post. The collective wisdom of everyone here is really incredible.

John

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back to us with the results John.

In regards to the "lots of charcoal", it is substantially bigger than the 18" (like 25% bigger) so it's to be expected. It's always nice to have options though so I guess your next purchase will be the 14" eh? ;)

Even though it may not be perfectly round, is it that much of an issue? Not trying to denigrate your concerns but you did get it 'back on". ??

"Even though it may not be perfectly round, is it that much of an issue? Not trying to denigrate your concerns but you did get it 'back on". ??

I did get it back on but I was perplexed. Now that I know that you may just have to give it a twist it really isn't that big of a deal.

And to your point on the charcoal, I knew it would take more but I thought since the charcoal ring should ALSO be 25% bigger as well i didn't think I would have to add charcoal twice during a 12 hour cook. Again, I didn't mean that to sound like a complaint but more of an observation.

My 22.5 is pretty charcoal hungry as well. When I smoked a couple butts before Christmas I ended up using probably on the order of 25 pounds of KBB. Of course, conditions were averse.

As for the lid fitting, mine is also a little wonky when it heats up- I think it has to do with how much the center section expands vs. the lid- I sometimes have to use a little force to get it to plop down into place. I don't know if it's a manufacturing thing or just the nature of the shapes and materials.

4) The first time I checked the meat I put the lid back on and it wouldn't fit!!! I was freaking out. I wasn't sure what to do. (I know, I know, you're saying, what do you mean it wouldn't fit?) So i would set the lid down and it appeared as if the base was bigger around than the lid. Finally, i started rotating the lid until at one position it would drop into place. It's as if either the lid or the middle section aren't perfectly round. This irritated me as I already had an issue with the door. I guess I'll call Weber to see what they recommend.

This has me a little confused. Hopefully I'm just be reading it wrong...

Do you have a picture showing this issue which you can post ?

I'll see if I can get a pic. I'm not sure I'd believe it myself had it not happened to me. After Phil's comment I'm also wondering if it's something only when it's hot.

My 22.5 lid was out of round by a good inch and Weber sent me a new one. I gave the old one a squeeze, figuring I had nothing to lose and it works fine now.

Last edited:
Great point Bruno. Weber told me to measure the diameter in two directions on both the lid and the middle section to determine which is out of round. I'll measure soon and call Weber.

Back