New 2009 WSM - Built in thermometer is so "wrong"

Two boneless pork shoulders are in the smoker... no Maverick probes connected. I'll just be content with a WSM lid temp of 210-240F knowing that lid temps as measured via the top vent with probe would be around 230-270... and corresponding top grate temp will be 215-260.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

IMG00058-20100112-1049.jpg

Just over 13 hours in the smoker... the WSM lid read anywhere from 205-250 during the cook and I just let her go with a couple of vent adjustments from time to time. Meat is sitting in the cooler getting a nice rest after a long smoke and will be pulled in about an hour.

Love the confidence that comes with knowing temps well below 225 at the WSM lid is "OK" and as j. biesinger and others pointed out, even way up at 250F on the WSM lid (aka 295 measured at the top vent via probe) is OK.

Love the confidence that comes with knowing temps well below 225 at the WSM lid is "OK" and as j. biesinger and others pointed out, even way up at 250F on the WSM lid (aka 295 measured at the top vent via probe) is OK.

you're way ahead of me. Its taken me a couple years to get some real confidence and yet I still over think things all the time.

Nice lookin product euge
icon_smile.gif
....the way you described the cook reminded me of the old Ronco ads... "set it and forget it!" ...as it should be
icon_wink.gif
That simple trait is why so many love the WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey Rondo - I think the other ad said "If yer lookin - You ain't cookin". lol. This has been a great discussion. I see where plenty of folks get up early enough to check it to see if we "Got er done". Bob B

Update: I've tried two "empty pan with foil for easy clean-up" high heat cooks and wanted to add my results.

Empty water pan, minion method start with 20 fully lit Kingsford blue briquettes and all vents wide open gets me a rock solid 285F on the WSM built-in lit thermometer and that corresponds to 336F as measured through the top vent. Just perfect for a high-heat brisket.

The temperature perfectionist in me would love to see 350F as measured through the lid vent, but for the sake of ease of use and repeatability, I don't feel I need to prop open the door or do any other tricks, I'm happy with 335F.

Gotta love the WSM... fully open vents with a full water pan gets me 230F and the same settings with an empty water pan gets me 335F. Can't make things much easier than that!

Gotta love the WSM... fully open vents with a full water pan gets me 230F and the same settings with an empty water pan gets me 335F. Can't make things much easier than that!

It really is that easy.

Now try a LS dry pan run. Watch the start, and begin to close the bottom off as temps approach 200* (30-40 min depending on how much lit you use). I'll have all bottom vents shut about 90% and it'll stabilize at 250* and hold it for hours with little to no adjustments.

You have to make sure your vents aren't loose and the bottom sections fit snug, because it'll run away from you if its drawing extra air.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
Now try a LS dry pan run. Watch the start, and begin to close the bottom off as temps approach 200* (30-40 min depending on how much lit you use). I'll have all bottom vents shut about 90% and it'll stabilize at 250* and hold it for hours with little to no adjustments.

You have to make sure your vents aren't loose and the bottom sections fit snug, because it'll run away from you if its drawing extra air.

Low and Slow Dry Pan Run? Will do because with the ease of clean-up, I don't think I want to go back to using water.

Is your operating procedure assuming minion method? I assume so for the longevity but want to be sure.

Is your operating procedure assuming minion method? I assume so for the longevity but want to be sure.

yes, fill the ring, toss on no more than 12, fully lit, briquettes.

its a good test of you wsm's efficiency. I can't do LS with one of my wsm's as it has a loose bottom vent. Even with all three closed 100% it creeps past 250* and climbs to 300* during the first couple of hours.

@above - call Weber, they'll send new vent slider thingies... 2 of mine were out of round due to me or the kids (definitely didn't arrive that way) and they said they'd cover it under warranty... I have yet to replace mine since I have to drill out the rivets, but in the mean time I use crumpled up foil in the holes (2 tight, 1 loose for 10%, 1 gone for 30% open) and I mainly control the temps w/ the one that is still air tight.

These rigs should be sold by Ron Popiel, because all I do is... (wait for it)...
Set it and forget it!

Back