New 14.5" WSM Owner

Lee Ingraham

TVWBB Fan
Hey all,

Just received and assembled my new 14.5" WSM yesterday. Looking to do my first cook this weekend and after much reading I've decided on going with a pork butt, but am undecided on size. Our local grocery store typically carries a good array of weights. I intend to cook to temperature, but with this being my first cook, I don't want it to be a "Let's order pizza" situation. Can I expect to follow the rule of thumb 1.5-2hrs/lb for pork shoulder or does the smaller size of the 14.5" make a difference? I wouldn't expect it to, because heat is heat, but I'm a layman when it comes to smoking. Thanks in advance for any advice!

With my 14 @225, no water, bone-in trimmed 7ish lb butt, takes me 19 hrs, pretty much every time. So mine were more like 2.5 hrs starting with a butt at about 35 degrees.

Lee,
Welcome to the WSM 14 club, i Iove my little guys. For pork shoulders it depends on the temp of the pit. For about a year I did pork shoulders on another smoker at 225 and an 8 lb alway took me 20 ish hours. Then when I got my WSM the first pork shoulder I cooked it at 275 or a little higher and it was done at 8 hours on the dot. This past weekend I did a 8 lb shoulder and the pit ran 240 to 250 the whole time and it took 14 hours.
Michael

I have the same WSM as you. I cooked a small 4.5 butt last weekend at 240-260 measured on my thermoworks smoke air probe at the grommet. It took over 8 hrs for the internal temp to reach 200 when I took it off to rest for 1 hr. I wrapped it in foil at 165 and I used water in the pan.

Ok, my wife just picked up a ~6.5lb bone in butt. I'm going to do the cook the day before I serve, so it doesn't turn into a "I'm hungry, let's order pizza" situation (but it may turn into "let's grill brats" if this cook goes south) and shoot for 250°-275°. I'm going to try not to chase temps... Try. My next concern would be a good temperature or time to wrap to avoid over smoking. 150°-175° a good range or should I be looking for visual indicators? I'm planning on just putting it in a small disposable aluminum pan and wrapping covering that well, as I don't have any of the wide HD aluminum foil, yet.

My next concern would be a good temperature or time to wrap to avoid over smoking. 150°-175° a good range or should I be looking for visual indicators?

Usually foil when the color looks good and the bark has set. I use half pans also, easier to foil and transport.

Tim

A little late but, do your best not to sweat a five or ten degree window, it will be hard, I know, been there. Rub it light it up and button the smoker up then try to not drive yourself nuts tinkering with everything. Relax and leave it alone. I generally do a “sidewinder” minion method where I lay the charcoal ring full, interspersing chunks in the charcoal and light the fire with a torch at the “door side”. Then, I assemble everything and start watching my thermometer remote.

No worries! Coal doesn't go in until Saturday AM. Would a grill starter cube like the ZIP ones be too much flames for that or should I just aim for the top down method?

Back