New 14.5 Weber Smokey Mountain!

I bought a 18.5 open box/display at Walmart for $129 and it was missing a few pieces. They sent them to me no problem. So odd you're having issues. I even needed a new cover after the first one just disintegrated after a few months and they sent one to me.

I bought a 18.5 open box/display at Walmart for $129 and it was missing a few pieces. They sent them to me no problem. So odd you're having issues. I even needed a new cover after the first one just disintegrated after a few months and they sent one to me.

Recently?

Good they took care of you nonetheless.

Last summer is when I got the smoker. I ordered the missing parts immediately and the cover a few months later.

Well, I don't know what to say. I just hope someone from the company reads these comments. It would be better for Weber to put their selective warranty practices in writing instead of throwing the dice to see who get coverage and who doesn't.

Have you only called the one time? Maybe another call might help.. could just be that one CSR misunderstood the situation?

That's what I thought when I called about the missing hardware, so when I called about the flaky thermometer, I was told that my smoker had been listed in the data base as un-warranted - meaning that no matter who I call, I will be denied warranty coverage.

That's what I thought when I called about the missing hardware, so when I called about the flaky thermometer, I was told that my smoker had been listed in the data base as un-warranted - meaning that no matter who I call, I will be denied warranty coverage.

Where did you buy it from and how much did it cost?

From Walmart for $50.00.

So Wal-Mart might not have purchased the WSMs and taken the financial hit for selling them for $50. Maybe Wal-Mart just sold them for a little commission, without physically purchasing them. Then when they weren't selling Wal-Mart wanted the store and warehouse space back. So Weber could either take back the unsold WSMs or allow Wal-Mart to sell them at cost. Which would allow Wal-Mart to free up space, and allow Weber to not have to receive a bunch of WSM stock.

Since Weber made no profit, (probably lost money) they don't offer any warranty.

So Wal-Mart might not have purchased the WSMs and taken the financial hit for selling them for $50. Maybe Wal-Mart just sold them for a little commission, without physically purchasing them. Then when they weren't selling Wal-Mart wanted the store and warehouse space back. So Weber could either take back the unsold WSMs or allow Wal-Mart to sell them at cost. Which would allow Wal-Mart to free up space, and allow Weber to not have to receive a bunch of WSM stock.

Since Weber made no profit, (probably lost money) they don't offer any warranty.

Interesting, but the warranty makes no mention of this scenario (at least not in words that the average consumer might decipher). Others have indicated they paid the same, or nearly the same, as I did, and yet, they received warranty coverage.

I'd like to talk to the manager or the district manager (of Wal-Mart and / or their competitors) and see if this is a retail option for durable goods like grills.

Last edited:
This is such an odd situation. I had absolutely 0 problem with my smoker purchased in a similar way to Rusty's.

Yt9WKme.png

When I asked about a discount because it was open and the last one left, one employee mentioned that Walmart typically assembles grills because some people like them assembled. The manager just offered me the $129 price on the spot by scanning it and I'm assuming the computer tells them the cost of the item or maybe even the lowest offer price.

Something seems really wrong about this.

The only thing I can think of that might result in this is perhaps the grill was returned to Walmart after being registered and Weber doesn't honor the warranty? Perhaps Walmart was supposed to return it to Weber. I worked at Best Buy and our open item's stated that Best Buy would honor the warranty, not the manufacturer.

I also own a 14.5, also purchased at WalMArt. It was in a box, but it had been opened. All parts accounted for. I paid $40.
Cq4U3Y1.png

I registered both smokers online and both show the full coverage w/o any issue. And when you register, it asks you the price you paid for it, and it wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
Great write-up, Marcus. I guess it pays to register your Weber products online?

For the record, I only paid $31.00 for my 18.5" kettle (Home Depot - still in the box), and I paid $199.00 for my 18.5" WSM (Walmart - still in the box), and both were warranted by Weber. In fact, Weber sent me a replacement lid (original fit tightly) for the kettle, and some extra thermal washers for the smoker.

Last edited:
You'd think if they in fact have some sort of display models they provide to places the serial number might be missing and it'd have NOT FOR RESALE on it or something.

You'd think if they in fact have some sort of display models they provide to places the serial number might be missing and it'd have NOT FOR RESALE on it or something.

The first rep (during registration) vaguely mentioned something to that effect, but in the end, I was told that I was denied a warranty due to low price of the smoker.

The first rep (during registration) vaguely mentioned something to that effect, but in the end, I was told that I was denied a warranty due to low price of the smoker.

I guess you could always return it then buy one at list price so you can have a warranty if its that important. I can see webers point. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happing more often. Sometimes I wonder how weber makes any money at all, with posts after post about free parts. Then people still continue to use the old defective parts so they can have 2 WSM,s or Kettles for the price of one.

I guess you could always return it then buy one at list price so you can have a warranty if its that important. I can see Weber's point. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happening more often. Sometimes I wonder how Weber makes any money at all, with posts after post about free parts. Then people still continue to use the old defective parts so they can have 2 WSM,s or Kettles for the price of one.

I considered it, but this location has no Weber smokers left. I could try another store, but not sure if they would swap a display model for a boxed model or not. I'm a bit concerned about how the center stack rocks a bit (like it's not nesting correctly) where it sits on the base. Has anyone else noticed that with their 14.5" WSM? The lid rocks about a 1/16 of an inch, too, and leaks air a bit. I was hoping a few smokes would help seal that off.

I considered it, but this location has no Weber smokers left. I could try another store, but not sure if they would swap a display model for a boxed model or not. I'm a bit concerned about how the center stack rocks a bit (like it's not nesting correctly) where it sits on the base. Has anyone else noticed that with their 14.5" WSM? The lid rocks about a 1/16 of an inch, too, and leaks air a bit. I was hoping a few smokes would help seal that off.

Just return it and buy one from a dealer at regular (list) price. Swapping it for another $50 WSM will put you still in the no warranty category.

I really don't understand how price has a thing to do with it. They provided coverage for me, so why not Rusty?

The warranty makes no mention of an exclusion.. unless, as I mentioned previously, this was a returned unit that was already registered. The warranty does apply to "the original purchaser", so perhaps WalMart messed up and resold it instead of sending it back to Weber. Not sure what is normally done with Weber returns. At Best Buy and Target, certain returned items were sent back to the manufacturer and others we could sell as an open item for a discount. If parts were missing, sometimes we could even order those so the returned item was complete.

I really think in the long run that Weber is wrong and should honor the warranty and if there is any issue they need to take it up with WalMart.

WARRANTY

Weber-Stephen Products LLC (Weber) hereby warrants to the ORIGINAL PURCHASER of
this Weber®
Smokey Mountain Cooker™ Smoker that it will be free from defects in material and
workmanship from the date of purchase as follows:

Cooking / Charcoal grates: 2 years
Bowl and lid against rust: 10 years
Nylon handles: 10 years
All remaining parts: 2 years

when assembled and operated in accordance with the printed instructions accompanying it. Weber
may require reasonable proof of your date of purchase. THEREFORE, YOU SHOULD RETAIN YOUR
SALES SLIP OR INVOICE AND RETURN THE WEBER LIMITED WARRANTY REGISTRATION
CARD IMMEDIATELY.

This Limited Warranty shall be limited to the repair or replacement of parts which prove defective
under normal use and service and which on examination shall indicate to Weber’s satisfaction
they are defective. If Weber confirms the defect and approves the claim, Weber will elect to repair
or replace such parts without charge. If you are required to return defective parts, transportation
charges must be prepaid. Weber will return parts to the purchaser, carriage or postage prepaid.
This Limited Warranty does not cover any failures or operating difficulties due to accident, abuse,
misuse, alteration, misapplication, vandalism, improper installation or improper maintenance or
service, or failure to perform normal and routine maintenance.

Deterioration or damage due to severe weather conditions such as hail, hurricanes, earthquakes or
tornadoes, discoloration due to exposure to chemicals, either directly or in the atmosphere, is not
covered by this Limited Warranty.

There are no other express warranties except as set forth herein, and any applicable implied
warranties of merchantability and fitness are limited in duration to the period of coverage of this
express written Limited Warranty.

Some regions do not allow limitation on how long an implied warranty lasts, so this limitation may not apply to you.
Weber is not liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages. Some regions do not allow
the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may
not apply to you.

Weber does not authorise any person or company to assume for it any other obligation or liability in
connection with the sale, installation, use, removal, return or replacement of its equipment; and no
such representations are binding on Weber.

I'm confused; does Weber's revenue on each retail sale depend on each dealer's selling price (aside from the possibility of a manufacturer's-supported promo deal)? This may be hardly worth all this effort on a 14.5 but for the sake of principle...

Back