New 14.5 Weber Smokey Mountain!

Thanks, Chris. Look forward to your report.

I'm confused; does Weber's revenue on each retail sale depend on each dealer's selling price (aside from the possibility of a manufacturer's-supported promo deal)? This may be hardly worth all this effort on a 14.5 but for the sake of principle...

Agreed, BFletcher.

My situation is one thing, but I couldn't get over the guy that purchased a leaky discounted gas grill, and yet Weber refused to fix the problem. That is most unusual.

Warranty issue aside, I smoked two butts over the weekend with very good results. I should've placed three hickory chunks on the bare grate (instead of two) before adding coals, but I was worried about creating creosote smoke. I assume creosote is produced by wood chunks reaching too high a temperature?

This question got overlooked. It's my understanding that the Tel-Tru BQ100 thermometer will replace the stock thermometer. I've placed an order for one and will try it on my 14.5" WSM and post the results.

I installed the Tel-Tru BQ100 in my 14.5" WSM with little effort. See it here:

Upgrading From A Stock Weber Thermometer To An Industrial-Grade Thermometer

Next, I'm going to try the Tel-Tru BQ200 on the 14.5", which has a slightly larger dial and more suitable temp range than the BQ100.

Update:

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but after going through channels, I received a letter from Weber to clarify the warranty situation. Here is an excerpt from the letter...

Our internal investigation has revealed that the Customer Service Agent did indeed provide misinformation. The Agent believed that the grill was a damaged, returned floor model unit, which would not be covered by the warranty, which extends only to the original owner. Please be advised that we have spoken with the Agent to clarify the misunderstanding. We have also taken the opportunity to educate all of our Agents so that they understand that the purchase price of a Weber@ grill has absolutely nothing to do with the grill's warranty coverage.

That last sentence clarifies everything.

I could've let this die, but I couldn't get over the guy that was refused warranty service on a faulty gas grill because the purchase price was less than retail.

Thanks, James.

Hopefully it was worth your time.

I think it was worth it to get all of the reps on the same page and to help prevent a serious accident (or a fatality) with a faulty gas grill product.

Mind you, I have no axe to grind against Weber, but I've never run across an established company that wouldn't back up its warranty on a new product until of late. And I never recall being told I was denied coverage due to purchasing a used product. Rather, I was told during registration that I paid too little for the WSM to qualify for warranty coverage. But, anyway, it's a moot point now, and I am satisfied. :wsm:

Last edited:

Back