Netflix Series

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm old and slow. Good news is when I get around to watching a series...there are plenty of seasons to watch. If (that's a big if) there are others like me who are slow to get on board to a good series, I just binged on Downton Abbey and now on to Blacklist.

So what are you watching worth a view or two? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
DH and I watch NCIS. We have a little over 1 more season to go. (there are 15 seasons). We watch 1/2 show with breakfast and the second half with dinner. No idea what we will watch when NCIS is over.

I didn't think I would like Arrested Development, but I really do. Takes a certain sense of humor I think.
Waiting for 4th and final season of Ozark in early 2022. Coincidentally they both star Jason Bateman.

Waiting for “Ozark” too!
The “Chef series” following the movie was fascinating, the whole “Goliath” series on Amazon is really good.
There is tons of good stuff but, wading through so much to get to them. Season one of “Dopesick” is a real eye opener!

How slow are you on this stuff?

So slow that Breaking Bad, House of Cards and Mad Men would be new to you?

Or slow meaning you haven't gotten to Squid Game yet?

And are you just limited to Netflix? So no Apple TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc.?

If you like the Sopranos and would like to see a Norwegian version check out Lillehammer. It is an absolute riot (if you don't mind the subtitles). Steven VanZandt reprises his mafia role but he builds a mob in Norway. I have watched the whole series twice since it was released and will likely start it a 3rd time again soon. Just floors me. Even his wife (real life wife), and Pauly Walnuts get into the act.
Also Longmire is another great series. Give them both a try but especially if you enjoyed the Sopranos check out Lillehammer

If you like the Sopranos and would like to see a Norwegian version check out Lillehammer. It is an absolute riot (if you don't mind the subtitles). Steven VanZandt reprises his mafia role but he builds a mob in Norway. I have watched the whole series twice since it was released and will likely start it a 3rd time again soon. Just floors me. Even his wife (real life wife), and Pauly Walnuts get into the act.
If you go looking for this one, here's the way the series is spelled; Lilyhammer
I need to give this one a shot, the Sopranos was a favorite.

Can't wait for Ozark! Ted Lasso on Apple TV+ has been the favorite of late. I blew threw season 1 and most of season 2, then started rewatching when my wife got interested. A few more episodes left to watch in season 2.

The Killing, on Netflix, looks promising too.
Anyone watched it?
The original Dutch version, "Forbrydelsen", was quite good. The first season is a bit slow as it tries to show the impact of the crime on the family and all the twists and turns taken by the investigation, but it's very intense. You do have to put up with subtitles if you don't speak Dutch. I've not seen the American remake, "The Killing".

+1 on "Longmire" and "Breaking Bad".

@Joan, "NCIS" is currently in season 19, so there might be more to watch than you realize.

I'm currently re-watching "Justified" and "The Wire". I find both to be greatly above average. "The Wire" is one of the best TV series I've ever watched.

I quite enjoy British crime dramas. British TV seems to mostly take a different approach. Instead of agreeing to make X shows per season and then having to churn out X scripts, they produce scripts at whatever is a reasonable pace for quality and then make a series of shows when they have enough scripts. This results in fewer shows of generally higher quality. Most of the time.

"Midsomer Murders" is generally enjoyable. It's in its 22nd season, so they must be doing something right.
"Poirot" is quite good. "Lewis" is one of my favorites. It follows the career of Robbie Lewis, DS to Inspector Morse, after he's been promoted to DI. "Endeavour" is another Morse related series, following the early career of Morse before he's made Detective Inspector. "Vera" is another detective show, this time with a female lead. Don't judge this one by the first episode. I found the first episode a disjoint mess. The remainder of the series is not like that. In a somewhat lighter vein, "Rosemary and Thyme" is about two landscapers who solve crimes in their spare time. It's not quite as goofy as it sounds. I enjoyed it a lot. "Father Brown" is a period dramedy about a priest who meddles in the police solving crimes. Somewhat similar, though much darker, is "Grantchester", about a priest who works with a police detective to solve crimes. This one delves into a number of "woke" topics so it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Moving from Britain to down under, "The Brokenwood Mysteries" is one of my favorites. It's sort of "Midsomer Murders" goes Kiwi. Quirky locals add levity and charm. Breaking from the crime drama theme, "800 Words" is a fun series about a magazine columnist who moves with his two high school age children, following the death of his wife, from Australia to a New Zealand beach town he visited as a youth.

If you find you like British TV, check out I Heart British TV. They have a rundown of what British TV is showing where. It's a great resource for discovering shows you've probably missed if you're not British.

I'll have to check out "The Killing", and "The Wire". I started watching season 1 "Breaking Bad" earlier this year and enjoyed it. Will have to finish watching the remaining seasons.

Right now I'm really enjoying "The Mandalorian" on Disney+. Awesome show!

"@Joan, "NCIS" is currently in season 19, so there might be more to watch than you realize."

Thanks Jay, yes I know. DH and I watch it, but I don't know for how much longer. Since so many of the original cast have left, it is not as good.

Thanks Jay, yes I know. DH and I watch it, but I don't know for how much longer. Since so many of the original cast have left, it is not as good.
I watched NCIS regularly until Ziva left, (The first time. I understand she's since returned.) then I kind of lost track of it. I've started re-watching from the beginning. Figure it will be a while before I catch up to where I left off the first time. It's hard to imagine the show continuing once Mark Harmon leaves.

Yes, I do miss Ziva, Tony, Abby. I can't remember his name, but it is hard to believe the one new guy is from "That 70's show". The black haired one with an accent.

Jay, I didn't watch the last show and didn't even know Gibbs left. Now I know I will not be watching any more of it. So sad.

Back