Nervously doing my first packer brisket

Justin D

TVWBB Member
I'm about 10 hours with a WSB temp of 225 pretty consistently... the internal temp was at 165 in the biggest part of the flat section, so I pulled it from the smoker and ended up separating the flat from the point (mainly because it was too big for an aluminum pan. I put the flat in the aluminum pan and covered with foil with some beef broth and put it back in the smoker on the top shelf. I wrapped the point tightly in aluminum foil along with some beef broth and put it on the bottom shelf.

This took me a little while so the flat temp seems to have dropped to 150??? Am I ok here? Currently trying to bring the smoker temp back down... it's at 272. I plan to just ride it out and wait until it gets to around 185 before I start probing.

Last edited:
Good Luck, sounds like it is coming together well. I have never separated the point and flat at 165, but it seems like it will work well.

Hello Justin,

Have faith and chill-lax. It appears from the data provided, you are in the stall phase of the cook. To reduce temp, reduce the bottom vents gradually to reduce oxygen flow as needed or if needed. What is your elapsed smoke time and what was the pre-cook weight of the brisket? Try to avoid removing the lid, it is called low and slow for a reason. 272F dome temp is OK to cook. There are many on this site that cook HH (high heat, 300+) and get excellent results.

I've done a bunch of butts and am familiar enough with my WSB, so I'm slowly getting that temp down. The pre-cook weight was 11.3 lbs (before I trimmed it)... I didn't weight it after. I put it on at 11pm last night and took it off at about 8:30am. I've only removed the lid a couple of times... once to mop at about 6am, then to remove the brisket.

The brisket has been something I've been avoiding... I kind of feel like it's the pinnacle of smoking and I'm kind of nervous about it. That, and I haven't been able to find a full packer until a few days ago. Walmart. Go figure. It was $41 for this thing... I kind of don't want to make a $41 mistake. :)

Current status: Smoker is at 258 / Brisket is at 156.

Last edited:
Other details (sorry, no pics!): I used a mix of hickory and pecan. I slept on my couch. I have a poker tourney at 4pm with a bunch of uncultured animals coming over for football and cards.

Smoker is at 235 (had to jiggle the grate a bit because it was losing heat fast) and internal temp of 159.

Last edited:
Other details (sorry, no pics!): I used a mix of hickory and pecan. I slept on my couch. I have a poker tourney at 4pm with a bunch of uncultured animals coming over for football and cards.

An 11.3 lb packer? That sounds a bit small for a full brisket but no problems. Time wise, you should be ok but just in case. Plan for at least one hour of rest in a towel lined cooler and 15 mins to cut, plate and serve. If the meat has not hit 180-185 by noon, pull it (still panned/foiled) and finish off in a 325F oven/grill. Once probe tender, rest it. Resting is important.

Good luck. :)

Seems to me like you are doing fine.
If the WSM is out of gas (ha ha) and cannot maintain 225-250 throw the wrapped brisket pieces in the oven and finish them off there.
Since the point and flat are separated treat each piece as a unique cook.
Let the internal temperature be a guide, but cook until the meat probes tender.
It should turn out great.

An 11.3 lb packer? That sounds a bit small for a full brisket but no problems. Time wise, you should be ok but just in case. Plan for at least one hour of rest in a towel lined cooler and 15 mins to cut, plate and serve. If the meat has not hit 180-185 by noon, pull it (still panned/foiled) and finish off in a 325F oven/grill. Once probe tender, rest it. Resting is important.

Good luck. :)

Ha... your comment got me digging through the trash outside to confirm... Yep... 11.34 lbs.

At 167 now; smoker is at 248.

Question: When I let it rest, should I take it out of the aluminum pan and re-wrap in foil before putting in a towel lined cooler? Any need to let it cool a bit before it goes into the cooler?

Poker reference and we want to see the end results...GL with both.

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

I've read so much in the past few days... I"ve managed to confuse myself. It's reached an internal temp of 190. Should I pull it now and wrap it... then do the toothpick test? Or... do I do the toothpick test and when it gets to be 'done', do I then pull it and wrap it?

Would appreciate a prompt response!

Probe now and with something fatter and not as sharp as a toothpick.
The thermometer is probably as good of a probe as anything else.
You want to feel for the connective tissue in the meat to be melted, a toothpick will slip right between that tissue.
Just because it is at 190 may or may not mean it is tender.

Not nearly tender enough to my knowledge. Not only is there resistance, I managed to tilt the top rack into the smoker and lost all my juice when I was probing. Grrrr.... I may finish in the oven as soon as I'm done making this stromboli.

Most of it is very tender... my probe slides in effortlessly... except for one section on the end... opposite side of where the point was located.

Most of it is very tender... my probe slides in effortlessly... except for one section on the end... opposite side of where the point was located.

It appears you are good to go on your flat. Do you really want to impress your poker buds, check out Burnt Ends using the cap. You have time to prepare the cap and reserve the the flat for slices.

I agree, toothpicks are too small to gauge tenderness. I use an instant read thermometer or thermometer probe to test tenderness.

Enjoy. :)

Back