Nervous About First Brisket

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys! I have had my 14.5" WSM since January and have done quite a few shoulders on it. I decided I want to try doing a brisket. I was at the store tonight and bought a 2.32 lb choice CAB flat. I should have done a little more research before buying this because I think I paid a little too much for what I got. It was on sale for $7.19/lb. Anyway, any tips you can give me on how to properly make a brisket this size would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Greg grinds his brisket flats and makes them into hamburger patties https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QQiveo7dG8

<LOL>, not the answer, nor reply, you were looking for

I've done one packer brisket, on my 18.5 WSM, and not a flat, or not just a flat, but having watched some videos, what others do is to inject the flat with beef jus (au jus), various other liquids, as the flats alone (so they claim) can smoke a bit on the dry side. others may have better and different ideas...I see no one responded, and just wanted to give you some ideas, like watch a few videos...google 'smoking brisket flats', see what's out there, though I'm sure someone from this forum (w/smoking brisket flat only experience) will chime in, eventually

I've only done packers, myself, except for one time my wife accidently bought a flat. It should be fine. Some people separate their flat and point when cooking a packer. I would cook it low and slow around 225. A flat is going to dry out easily so I'd probably wrap in foil around and internal temp of 150 and cook till it jiggles or passes probe test.

I too have the 14.5" WSM and have done Brisket a couple of times.
I was testing out various rubs and ways of cooking so quartered a 'whole' brisket (guess it was into roughly 2-3lb pieces)
I ran with one on each grate across two days.

the baby wsm held temp perfectly and i just took internal temps on the meat prior to the 'probe' tests

good luck - and show us the results!

Back