Neglected CGA

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
During the course of a normal summer my wife and I will attend 7-10 Milwaukee Brewers games and we like to tailgate using the charcoal Go-Anywhere, but obviously this summer was anything but normal so the CGA sat ignored in the garage. Awhile back I walked by it and realized that I hadn't used it in nearly a year, so I fired it up for a couple of cooks.

The first one was a bone-in ribeye. After salting it and letting it sit uncovered in the fridge for about a day and a half the color really darkened.

I have one of the 18-22" combination CI grates that Academy Sports used to sell, and the 18" center fits on the CGA just right. 18 hardwood briquettes is plenty of fuel; IMO a single layer is all that's necessary. Guess I should've moved my Very Expensive Ash Removal Tool out of the way.

Granted, I didn't get the kind of crust that higher heat would've created but the grill marks and the steak were quite acceptable.

The next night I reused the leftover coals plus a few fresh ones to grill more traditional tailgate fare: brats! I had picked these up in Holmen, WI during a kettle retrieval trip (and the Holmen Locker is definitely worth a stop for anyone in the area).

I feel the design of the CGA is more geometrically compatible than a Smokey Joe when it comes to cooking sausages because it seems to be easier to get pretty even heat from end to end.

Since I'm grilling for 2 most of the time I rely on the 18" kettle almost exclusively, so I should be a little more thoughtful and do a better job of keeping the CGA in the rotation.

That's a good question! Kornfest is Holmen's big annual festival but I don't know if the brats themselves have any significance or the name was just borrowed.

Now you've given me a good reason to make the 2-hour drive each way again...:)

Both cook look great, the color on that cut of the steak is fantastic, but man I want one or two of those brats, I have still yet to cook a brat over charcoal this summer and now we are into fall, I got to get on that!!!

I was totally was looking to pick some up at the local butch shop when I got detracted by the pork bellies. I never made it back to get the brats, but I am about to start to cure the pork belly right now. I actually got on here to get the measurements, I can never remember the tender quick/lb ratio. I will apeant for my sins with a brat cook with photos very soon.

Back