Need some suggestions

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Would I cook these the same way I would cook short ribs?

2D1C1C94-13E7-484C-ADCF-D8EFC3EB8AB3_zpsqk3wcx7v.jpg

Seems like there's a good difference between the two types, wondering if there's a difference in the cooking method

Thanks in advance for any help

Cook the same as short ribs, just cook them to tender. Salt and pepper is all that is needed, lots of natural flavor.

Chuck, those look like what they call "shiners" beef ribs that have been processed to get most of the prime meat off. They cook up great, but quicker than plate or chuck. Very tasty, but a little more bone than meat. I usually try to take off the back membrane and trim some of the fat off. Those look meatier than some---

There's not a lot of info on beef spare ribs, as everything comes up short ribs. My plan will be to cook them in the WSM 250/275 for about 2, maybe (but doubtful) 3 hours. I will pull the membrane as Tom suggested and will flavor them with salt & pepper as Noe suggests. I have the Kingsford Hickory charcoal, I think it will get the go for this cook. It's be a today or tomorrow cook, I've got a full menu already this weekend :)

Thanks for the help guys, hope you're having a great Labor Day Weekend

Note: It seems the BBQ world favors the short ribs, mostly because there's much more meat on them than these

Glad you ask the question Chuck I've got a package of shiners in the freezer and I was wondering what to do with them and how to cook them.

Back