Need some HAM tips for tomorrow

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
I'd like to smoke a full ham (should I cut it in half??) for our Christmas dinner tomorrow. The boss lady hasn't brought it home yet, so I don't know an exact weight for now.

We usually take a full sized ham, put it in a nesco roaster, pour in a two liter of pepsi, a can of chunk pineapple with juice, use toothpicks to hold pineapple rings all over the ham surface and usually about a 1/2 bag of brown sugar- maybe the whole bag if I feel like it!! After it hits temp, I cut it up and let is float in the juice. To be honest, it's to die for and our 30 people that gather at our house love it.

This year, I'll make our normal ham but I'd really like to do about the same thing by injecting it with disolved brown sugar, pineapple juice (maybe even actual pineapple all blended in the Vitamix), pepsi and then smoking it.

I've seen anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes per pound. That's a pretty wide variation when you are trying to time it. I have a great faux cambro that works great, so that could pad me some time.

What's your thoughts on all of this? Should I smoke it for a few hours then wrap it? I really only have hickory to use.

I have a 22.5 WSM and a Pitmaster IQ- which I absolutely love!

I pretty much prep my ham the same as you with a few differences and only do a half of ham. Don't go too crazy with the smoke since your ham is already smoked. Cover your ham too until towards the end of the cook, it will get too dark with all of that brown sugar in there.

I pretty much prep my ham the same as you with a few differences and only do a half of ham. Don't go too crazy with the smoke since your ham is already smoked. Cover your ham too until towards the end of the cook, it will get too dark with all of that brown sugar in there.

Sounds good...

the whole hams she brought home are pre cooked......says to cook to 135......hmmm......or maybe inject towards the end of the cook then cover??

now to figure out how to cut them in half through the bone without a meat saw....... reciprecator saw hahaha

now to figure out how to cut them in half through the bone without a meat saw....... reciprecator saw hahaha

Just use a new fine tooth hacksaw blade. Wipe off chips if there are any (but really, will be minimal and small, more like dust if anything)

Why cut it?
Just curious, for me the glory of an impressive piece of meat is that it is an impressive piece in its entirety!
But, I'm just that way.
If you must cut it longitudinally, new blade, and wipe, even that dust can be unpleasant to find when chewing.

Back