Need rib cook info

Michael Goldman

TVWBB Fan
Hi folks, sunday i will be cooking 2 racks of st louis style ribs on my fairly new 18 wsm.. This will be the second time for ribs.. First time was my first cook. Used full water foiled water pan. 3-2-1.method,minion.. Ribs were very good ,just a little overcooked.. My question is, i will be placing 2 racks of ribs on top grate.trimmings on lower grate. I have a foiled 14 inch saucer that i purchased. Can i use the foiled saucer on top of the empty foiled water pan.. ???will the meat burn on the lower rack??or should i just use an empty foiled water pan? I plan to cook at 225-250.looking forward for input.. Thanks

Michael, I place my foiled clay saucer inside my foiled (and empty) water pan for cooks on my 22.5 WSM with excellent results - further, I don't see the trim-meat burning, but don't forget, it'll be done a whole lot sooner than those ribs...hope that helps.

Regards,

Rooster

Hi folks, sunday i will be cooking 2 racks of st louis style ribs on my fairly new 18 wsm.. This will be the second time for ribs.. First time was my first cook. Used full water foiled water pan. 3-2-1.method,minion.. Ribs were very good ,just a little overcooked.. My question is, i will be placing 2 racks of ribs on top grate.trimmings on lower grate. I have a foiled 14 inch saucer that i purchased. Can i use the foiled saucer on top of the empty foiled water pan.. ???will the meat burn on the lower rack??or should i just use an empty foiled water pan? I plan to cook at 225-250.looking forward for input.. Thanks

I think you'll def need the clay saucer if you want to keep your temps down to 225-250 my WSM tends to run pretty hot without any kind of heat sink....I have never cooked trimmings separately , so I'm not an expert on this , but I would think they'd cook up pretty quick on the lower rack. I don't think they'll burn , per se , but you'll have to watch em.
if your ribs were over cooked last time you might want to consider cutting down the foil time to an hour (if by over cooked you mean falling apart- bones falling out of the meat). Well good luck , I hope they come out good.

I think you'll def need the clay saucer if you want to keep your temps down to 225-250 my WSM tends to run pretty hot without any kind of heat sink....I have never cooked trimmings separately , so I'm not an expert on this , but I would think they'd cook up pretty quick on the lower rack. I don't think they'll burn , per se , but you'll have to watch em.
if your ribs were over cooked last time you might want to consider cutting down the foil time to an hour (if by over cooked you mean falling apart- bones falling out of the meat). Well good luck , I hope they come out good.

THANKS R.L. AND FRANK, YES, FALLING OFF THE BONE.. HOWEVER THEY WERE VERY GOOD.I HAVE A FEELING THAT LOWER RACK COOK TIME WILL BE MUCH FASTER.. JUST A PAIN TO GET TO THEM DURING THE COOK.. I AM GOING TO MODIFY MY COOK TIMES.. SOMETHING LIKE 2.5-1.5 [foil] -1 FINISH.I DO HAVE THE MAVERICK NOW.. DID NOT HAVE AT 1ST COOK.. SHOULD BE ABLE TO MONITOR COOK TEMP A WHOLE LOT BETTER... HEY ,LIFE IS GOOD'''' GO DOLPHINS'''''''

Re "fall off the bone" ribs - prior to the rise of televised BBQ contests, I had always heard that term used by those who claimed to have the best tasting ribs; I have NO problem with 'em cooked that way, and prefer 'em, actually. But nowadays, it seems that the contest judges demand a rib that is firmer, and one that leaves an impression of one's bite marks in the meat remaining on the bone. This preference of rib texture/tenderness seems to have been imparted on a considerable portion of the rib-eating public...just my two cents worth.

Regards,

Rooster

Re "fall off the bone" ribs

I'm a newbie when it comes to WSM, but have done a total of 6 smokes of Costco back ribs (always with a foil-wrapped clay pot, no water). I usually just "set 'em and forget 'em" for about 4 hours at 225-240 degrees then for 30-40 minutes, I finish them with a brushing of Sweet Baby Rays. They are never "fall off the bone" tender because I like the pleasure of gnawing on the bone and sucking the good stuff off my fingers. But friends and family alike love them.

BTW, the last time, I smoked two racks cut in half (4 pieces) but finished one of the pieces with some hickory-infused balsamic vinegar I bought in Oregon a couple weeks ago. The custom infused balsamics are much thicker, sweeter and full bodied than off-the-shelf balsamics. I loved it! It definitely adds a different flavor than the Sweet Baby Rays. Try it sometime.

I tooka

Re "fall off the bone" ribs - prior to the rise of televised BBQ contests, I had always heard that term used by those who claimed to have the best tasting ribs; I have NO problem with 'em cooked that way, and prefer 'em, actually. But nowadays, it seems that the contest judges demand a rib that is firmer, and one that leaves an impression of one's bite marks in the meat remaining on the bone. This preference of rib texture/tenderness seems to have been imparted on a considerable portion of the rib-eating public...just my two cents worth.

Regards,

Rooster

I agree with Rooster on this one. If you are not in a comp and you prefer your ribs fall off the bone then cook them that way. That is the way my family prefers them. As far as the clay saucer remember it is just a heat sink and not a heat source. It will just help balance out the temp swings. I run my water pan empty all the time and don't have any problems. I have never seen the need for the clay saucer but some people swear by them. You have a good plan to shorten the time in the foil but remember all meat cooks different and time is a poor judge of doneness. Learn to cook by feel and you will have much more consistent results.

Thanks guys, yes, off the bone,not off the bone, whatever pleases.. I like both ways.. As long as taste is good we are happy..being that i have never used the "saucer' i am willing to give it a try.. Hey, still learning to use my wsm.. Just would like to get away from the water in pan.. Empty water pan foiled,foiled saucer on to of pan.. Will let all know how cook came out.. Will try to post pics..

You can use the clay saucer or you can do what I did and fill that pan half full with sand, foil it, then lay a sheet of foil over that that you can take off after you get done cooking and it cools.
Now I did trimming last week, they were delicious, first ribs were on for two hours, lifted the dome and lifted the top rack off and put the second (bottom) rack which I had taken off before the start of the cook and were now covered with the trimmings put them in on the bottom, put top rack back on.
Two hours was perfect.
Here is the link to that cook
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?43634-Rib-Extravaganza-(I-hope)

I used to smoke with water and then the saucer and now just a foiled pan. You can get spares done in 6 hours at 275, no foil, just don't add to much wood so they don't get overly dark and don't go overboard with the sugar if your making your rub. If you have a saucer in there it will hold it back. As you get more comfortable with the smoker and the vent control you will find that you will not need the saucer anymore.

Richard, see my post on "barbecuing"" bottom line, i used a little too much coals.. Wre a little dry but tasted good.. Still learning.. Will try to post pics ..

Back