Rib Extravaganza (I hope)

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So having my Mom out tommorow with some other family and promised some good ribs. I am going to be doing a little experiment.

I am going to do Raichlen style ribs, made up his Raichlan rub and am going to cook them in a foil method like he does.
I am also using his Mint Julep rub and Mint Julep Mop Sauce on another rack.
Then I am going to make one rack with my favorite Texas Barbecue Rub brand Grand Champion. Both non foil.
All made up

DSC_0584_zpsd69dacd4.jpg

First time for me dressing full ribs and they had large rib tip sections so am going to cook them for the first time, rubbed with Three Little Pigs Kansas City Rub.

DSC_0585_zps98c2bf55.jpg

The Mint Julep Rub smells heavenly and I have to make the mop sauce tomorrow when the ribs go on

DSC_0588_zps6b194e39.jpg

Smoker starting in am. around 9. Wish me luck

You don't need luck , brother. You got skills! (But I wish you luck anyway....can't hurt). :wsm:

Remember, I'm right down Rt. 22 and I'm a great guest! Best of luck, but somehow I don't think you need it.

So here is the run down, you guys got to try this if you haven't. First have I told you I like this WSM
DSC_0586_zps21c32d28.jpg

Held my 275 for the whole cook in spite of the wind and rain and T Storms
DSC_0585_zps9bb1d47e.jpg

These Mint Julep ribs are to die for, the rub is !. Powdered tea mix, the kind with sugar not artificial sweetened, dried mint, about five full tablespoons worth, three or four tablespoons of paprika, three tablespoons of granulated sugar, two tablespoons of kosher salt.
The mop sauce is 1 stick of butter, 1/4 cup mint jelly, juice of one lemon, two tbsp of sugar and 1/4 cup (or so) of Bourbon. melt together and reduce.

DSC_0588_zps0d860f6d.jpg

The ribs are in and so are the rib tips two hours after the ribs went on, after the first mop, The Grand Champion and the Raichlin rub racks got apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Mint Julep mop on the rack in the center.

DSC_0589_zps5e1b37e2.jpg

Made a big jug of the

strawberry Pink Grapefruit Rose Sangria someone posted here this week, could not find the post to give him credit but again thank you, it is superb

DSC_0591_zps9c068dc6.jpg

Made some of my three bean and bacon and jalapeno baked beans to go with the ribs, along with some ABT's

DSC_0594_zps16af2757.jpg

Foiled the Raichlin Ribs with some ACV and some brown sugar and the Grand Champion with just some apple juice and ACV, ABT's on
DSC_0590_zpsdb88b866.jpg

Got to tell you guys, these are the best ribs I have ever eaten, far and away. There was a tie for first place between the Mint Julep and the Raichlin Rub Ribs. Looks like my Grand Champion is going to be taking a back seat as per the whole family.

DSC_0597_zps7acc6163.jpg

DSC_0595_zps78f4aa2f.jpg

DSC_0592_zpsac4038d6.jpg

The biggest surprise for me was the rib tips which were seasoned with Three Little Pigs and mopped once with ACV & AJ once. Delicious, will be buying the whole ribs from now on

Great day and good time with the family, now we are having our daily deluge with sideways rain. A NJ summer.

Last edited:

Back