Need replacement for Maverick ET73

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
The Maverick has been a good friend since first used in 2007 and now it may be giving up the ghost. 8,,,,,(( I've always used two food probes for my Maverick setup without a hitch and that's what I'm looking for in a replacement. NO bells and whistles. Just accuracy, two food probes to monitor food on the upper and lower grates of my WSM. And yes I see the Smoke X series at Thermoworks. What other quality units are recommended that use both a transmitter and receiver?

I have a Smoke and a Smoke X4. The smoke is solid for a two probe thermometer.

You'll just need to buy an extra meat probe as it comes with one meat and one ambient temp probe.

If you are wondering why I have both the smoke and the smoke X4. After I bought the smoke, I decided I wanted a Billows fan and the smoke will not run a billows.

I use both regularly. If I only need two probes and am not using the billows I grab the smoke, otherwise I use the X4.

good luck.

Surf around on the Maverick site, they have several different options. I think the XR 30 is the new version of the old Maverick unit I've been using. I have both the Maverick and the Thermoworks Smoke.... they both work great. The Smoke unit has some nice features and has capability to control pit temperature if you opt for the Billows forced draft option if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Note: The billows temperature control package does work nicely, but you still have to build your fire correctly. I generally only use the Billows when I'm doing a long cook on the WSM and know I wont have time to tend to the vents.

The Maverick has been a good friend since first used in 2007 and now it may be giving up the ghost. 8,,,,,(( I've always used two food probes for my Maverick setup without a hitch and that's what I'm looking for in a replacement. NO bells and whistles. Just accuracy, two food probes to monitor food on the upper and lower grates of my WSM. And yes I see the Smoke X series at Thermoworks. What other quality units are recommended that use both a transmitter and receiver?
Look for a sale on a smoke, you’ll probably get it for $79.00 They are great!

I bought a open-box ThermoWorks Smoke a couple of years ago and have had zero problems with it. The probes are very well made and I have not had a single failure.

Smoke has a longer range on it's remote if that matters to you. My Maverick has been excellent between the inside of my house (all rooms) and the grill. The smoke will reach a few hundred feet, but the temperature on the remote lags a bit more since it's using a different type of signal.

The Smoke unit has some nice features and has capability to control pit temperature if you opt for the Billows forced draft option if you're interested in that sort of thing.
A smoke will not run a Billows. Billows needs a smoke x2 or x4 or a signals.

You sure it's the unit (although it is 14 yr old) and not the probes/cord itself? Tend to separate internally what with all the bending and heat exposure. Of course, if you really want the newest and greatest.......... 😉

You sure it's the unit (although it is 14 yr old) and not the probes/cord itself? Tend to separate internally what with all the bending and heat exposure. Of course, if you really want the newest and greatest.......... 😉
The entire unit was disconnected and the batteries removed, then inserted and probes attached. With the tips of the probes placed in a pan of cool water, the transmitter and receiver were both turned on. The stove top was turned on and the water heated. The probes seemed to work just fine with both the transmitter and receiver agreeing on temperature values especially as the temperature rose. Musta' been some sort of connectivity issue or death rays from the planet Mars.

Here in California, we suspect space lasers for such phenomenon. Hehehe…..

I am in the minority here, but I have an igrill 2 and 3. My E6 and SE335 sit side by side. I can use the 3 with either and do regularly. I bought 2 Mavericks (732, 733) and both failed in way less than 2 years. Will never buy another. My igrill 2 dates back to before Weber bought then and is still a trusted partner. Might be my house layout, but I have not had any connection issues.

Last edited:
I have a smoke and a bunch of different odd and in temp systems, the smoke unit is the best built but the probes are dead for mine...and I babied them

Back