need help...

DennisRay

Hi, I'm new to the group and have just completed a frame-off restoration of a Red Head Genesis Silver C.

Two small problems cropped up...

1st issue:
There is a remaining part i can't identify. See the photo of a 1.5" threaded stud with a hole in one end. Please help me learn where it goes.

2and issue: During teardown I lost one of the special bolts that fasten the end caps to the firebox top. See attached photo.
Where can I buy these?

Thanks for any help,
Dennis

Attachments

• 20210103_153743.jpg
    20210103_153743.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 37
During teardown I lost one of the special bolts that fasten the end caps to the firebox top.
On this page: https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-gas-grill-parts-source.76176/

Scroll down to "Maintenance & Repair", first heading "Stainless Lid Bolts and Nuts", many guys are replacing those original bolts with the stainless bolts and nuts in the first two links. If you insist on going with an original, perhaps one of our members can supply one.

Off the top of my head, I cannot identify the other part.

Yah, I have taken apart a lot of Genesis Silver B and C grills. That screw on the left is unfamiliar to me.
I suggest replacing the end cap bolts with stainless. Here is what I use:

You may be able to find them local as well. If you just want a replacement, I can probably hook you up for postage. I have about 100 of them, I just need to find them.

On this page: https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-gas-grill-parts-source.76176/

Scroll down to "Maintenance & Repair", first heading "Stainless Lid Bolts and Nuts", many guys are replacing those original bolts with the stainless bolts and nuts in the first two links. If you insist on going with an original, perhaps one of our members can supply one.

Off the top of my head, I cannot identify the other part.
Chris,

Thanks for the shout back.

I am embarrassed for not photo-documenting the dis-assembly which resulted in the extra part. For some reason,
I'm thinking the threaded stud with hole, goes to the manifold or tank support somehow. I'll try not to stay awake at night worrying about it...LoL.

As for the lid-bolt... Thanks for the reference link. I decided on a stainless hex-bolt from ACE today and will grind it to fit and paint to match.

When I decided to buy a gas grill and learned the new Webers are made in China I decided to rescue a made in USA unit instead. Glad I did. I'm proud of the outcome. Rescuing American Vintage Tools is my hobby. American tools are soooo much better than new Chinese!

This is my first Weber and I sought out the Redhead because IMHO Redheads are easy on the eyes. I look forward to visiting this web sight in the future.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Attachments

• 20201217_122517.jpg
    20201217_122517.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201228_132948.jpg
    20201228_132948.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 34
Yah, I have taken apart a lot of Genesis Silver B and C grills. That screw on the left is unfamiliar to me.
I suggest replacing the end cap bolts with stainless. Here is what I use:

You may be able to find them local as well. If you just want a replacement, I can probably hook you up for postage. I have about 100 of them, I just need to find them.
Thanks, I never thought about an allen head flange bolt.

That bolt with the hole in it does go with the propane scale. A wing nut is on one end and the other end is inside the scale attached to a spring. I have pictures if you need them.

OK, I think I may have figured out that U/I bolt with the hole in it. I think it is from your tank support/scale. It is used to adjust the scale.
I thought that too! I have sat on the family room couch with adult beverages while holding the tank support/scale. I turned the support over and over while studying where and how that U/I bolt may attach. I couldn't figure it out.

Now, it could have been the single malt or the fact I had too much fun in the 70's but... I can't remember where I removed it from.

I will continue the journey though.

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis, I wonder if the ‘70’s did that to me as well! The guys here will set you straight on restoration quirks! Welcome aboard, this is a great source of information and fun!

Dennis, that bolt should attach to the spring inside the scale by the hole in it. The other end will stick out the bottom of the scale and have a 1/4" wing nut on it which is used to increase/decrease tension on the spring and thereby adjusting the scale.

If you can't figure it out, I will try to get some photos for you. LMK

Last edited:
I see Bruce is already on it for getting you a replacement end cap bolt - if you don't elect to change them all for stainless. The stainless gives it a kind of solid, tech look. On the other hand, the originals, properly painted, fade into the end cap almost unnoticed. Either option is a good one. Just depends on what you personally like. The originals can get a little annoying to remove, but rusting out isn't usually that much of a problem since they are covered with grease and get little surface wear that would get scratch the outside paint.

I thought that too! I have sat on the family room couch with adult beverages while holding the tank support/scale. I turned the support over and over while studying where and how that U/I bolt may attach. I couldn't figure it out.

Now, it could have been the single malt or the fact I had too much fun in the 70's but... I can't remember where I removed it from.

I will continue the journey though.

Thanks,
Dennis
The next question is, do you still have the spring that attaches through the hole on that i bolt?

20210105_153435.jpg

Attachments

• 20210105_153459.jpg
    20210105_153459.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210105_153639.jpg
    20210105_153639.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210105_153559.jpg
    20210105_153559.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210105_153846.jpg
    20210105_153846.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200905_181400.jpg
    20200905_181400.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks to everybody who helped me figure this out.

I had simply re-attached the tank scale spring to the enternal bars within the tank holder.

Wrongness !

With help from my Scottish connection... I played around with the bracketry some more.

The attached photos may help others who disassemble the tank scale for rebuilding.

I added a nylon washer under the adjustment wing-nut to ease turning while adjusting spring tension ( and protect new paint).

Again, thanks to all who replied to my request for guidance.

I see Bruce is already on it for getting you a replacement end cap bolt - if you don't elect to change them all for stainless. The stainless gives it a kind of solid, tech look. On the other hand, the originals, properly painted, fade into the end cap almost unnoticed. Either option is a good one. Just depends on what you personally like. The originals can get a little annoying to remove, but rusting out isn't usually that much of a problem since they are covered with grease and get little surface wear that would get scratch the outside paint.
Yes, about the grease adding some protection from the inside. They all came out easy and believe it or not, after a good vinegar soak I was comfortable that they were in good enough shape for another 20 years. So, I sanded and painted them with high-temp Rustoleum and all is happy after learning from ya'll here that a stainless tapered flange bolt is good substitute.
Thanks!

I have the tank scale from my Gen 5 on the work bench. It is really nasty inside but don't see any rust, and seems to work ok. Should disassembling this be something I should be considering, or should I just try to clean it in a bucket of soapy water or something? Is there a how to video or pictures of the process anywhere if yes to taking the thing apart? Thanks

Joe, I wouldn't mess with it. Just clean it up as best you can. The tank scales are not very accurate anyway. Their main function is to hang the tank. If you try to use the scale part of it, you will wind up 2 hours into a rack of ribs and find out the tank is empty.
Just clean it up and paint it with some good gloss black.

Joe, I wouldn't mess with it. Just clean it up as best you can. The tank scales are not very accurate anyway. Their main function is to hang the tank. If you try to use the scale part of it, you will wind up 2 hours into a rack of ribs and find out the tank is empty.
Just clean it up and paint it with some good gloss black.
Thanks - I was hoping you would say that;-)

Back