Need Help Rehabbing Mean Green Genesis from 90's

Christopher M

TVWBB Member
Years ago, I owned a mid-90's redhead Weber Genesis. I didn't care for it and ultimately let it go for a few dollars on Craigslist, not realizing that it could be restored. I ended "replacing" with a Ducane Affinity 3100. While that grill has been ok for the price paid ~$250, I started venturing into a new grill purchase this summer. Looking at prices, I started looking at older grills, namely Genesis grills within the last 5-10 years. I had earmarked a 2012 Genesis 310 Special Edition which was selling for $125. Then, prior to pickup, I started browsing these forums and seeing all of the retro-rehabs. Those grills looked awesome. So rather than just updated an 7 year old grill for utility, I went down the path of looking for a rehab project - one that would result in a solid grilling experience and one that I'd be proud to display on my patio. I happened upon this green Genesis - appears to be 90's era in relatively good condition. Basically the same grill I had previously owned, but in a glorious green. It was listed for $100, but they said they accept a "best offer". I'm scheduled to pick up tomorrow night for $50.

I'm going to look at the fire pit for any signs of rust and/or holes. Are there any major deal breakers I should consider?

XYLlzSH.jpg

NjQSyc4.jpg

I plan to purchase flavor bars and grates from https://www.ebay.com/str/rcplanebuyer

I'd also like to replace the burners, warming tray - and I figure Amazon will suffice.

I'm hoping to take apart and use a matte black spray paint on the fire box and the sides of the lid.

Any recommendations, tips or links that might help are greatly appreciated.

I've told my wife and she thinks I'm crazy. "Why are you going to buy an old grill and spend all of that $ fixing it up. Why not buy a new grill." I haven't figured out my total costs yet, but I anticipate $300-$400. Last year around August, Lowes had the Genesis 310s on sale for $450 or so. Am I crazy?

Hello Christopher M and welcome to the forum!

This sticky should help you with your rehabbing process, from initial inspection to finish...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69...together-a-quot-How-To-quot-Restoration-Guide

And here is an excellent resource on where to find parts...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76176-Weber-gas-grill-parts-source

And no, you are not crazy. When I first got into this hobby I had bought a 2018 Genesis II E-310. Then, like you, I found this forum and the rest is history. I now have 2 Genesis Platinum Cs (2001 and 2005) both with RC's hardware and have sold my Genesis II E-310 because it was only taking up space at that point and I enjoy cooking a lot more on the older grills than on the newer one. I need to warn you though, once you finish up your first rehab grill you may catch a sickness called Weberitus or Weberitous...as of now there is no known cure.

No you're not crazy. The older models with E/W burners are far better and more versatile than the new ones. Sadly Weber knows this and I am sure soon they'll make all parts impossible to get :(
As for getting RCPlanebuyer parts, use his Craigslist contact info. I don't have it offhand but someone will. You will save a bit of money, as he won't have to give EBay their commission. I do the same thing when I sell through www.themixerdoc.com as opposed to Ebay I give 10% discount. Since the 2 most important parts of the grill are what spreads the heat and the actual "interface" you have with it (the grates) you will not be spending badly to buy his stuff. It's a one and done purchase. No one makes better at ANY Price. Once done you will have a far better grilling machine, able to do excellent rotisserie cooking, indirect, smoking and more all with perfection and no unnecessary complications like the new grills

Congrats on the grill and welcome to the forum!

Just as an FYI, what you have there is a Genesis 2000.

We will look forward to seeing it restored and beautiful!

Thanks all for the warm welcome and great advice. I've already started looking at the shared threads and planning my build. I managed to track down RCPlanebuyer on CL and reached out for a quote on grates/flavor bars. I'm also making a shopping list for Lowe's once I secure the grill. I'll be sharing my progress and I'm sure questions will follow, should I not find them in the forums. All of these restorations have been inspiring.

Welcome to the forum Christopher. That 2000 will be one nice grill when you get it restored. Their is a wealth of knowledge here and a willingness to share that knowledge.
I still have my 1998 genesis that that I bought new, it started life as a 1000 and is now a 2000 along with nine other Weber's.

Christopher,
I think you are really going to enjoy this and that you have a very good starting point. Make it look so sweet that even your wife will have to be impressed:coolkettle:! But, beware of Weberitous, as Sam as warned. It will be a lot harder to make your wife happy about a half-dozen cool old Webers sitting in your yard waiting for restoration:eek:. Ask me how I know:rolleyes:.

Welcome to TVWBB!

I picked up tonight. Stopped at the Depot and started to pick up various cleaning materials, oak stain and assorted things to help with the restore. Placed my order for flavor bars and grates already. Also managed to get new burners ordered from eBay for $36. I figure if I'm going all in, I might as well get those upgraded.

For the firebox, how many cans of paint will I need? I'm thinking flat black Krylon High Heat for the firebox and a stain black Krylon for the sides of the lid.

I'm going to try to keep the original wood. It's mostly in good condition. When you flip it over it looks almost new. The previous owner always used a cover.

Overall, the grill is in great shape. Honestly, I could literally clean it up and start grilling on it if I wanted. The sliding shelves are detached, so not sure if I'm missing a part there or something's broken. I learn more when it's daylight.

Bobby, that's exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish!

https://imgur.com/30yKX6x

Christopher, we have a great parts resource sticky thread that you should have consulted before buying parts and supplies.

Your burners should have cost about half what you paid alone. What kind of grates and Flavorizer bars did you order?

From what I can tell, you have all the parts you need for the swing shelf. Or at least one of them. I don't see the support rod or the pivot rod and end cap for the one on the right side.

Last edited:
Christopher, we have a great parts resource sticky thread that you should have consulted before buying parts and supplies.

Your burners should have cost about half what you paid alone. What kind of grates and Flavorizer bars did you order?

From what I can tell, you have all the parts you need for the swing shelf. Or at least one of them. I don't see the support rod or the pivot rod and end cap for the one on the right side.

I've actually been following the part list referenced above, but didn't see burners. The official Webers were $70 from 3rd party on Amazon. I paid $24 plus $11 for shipping for OEM burners. I might have missed where I could find these for less. My grates and flavor bars are coming from RCPlanebuyer.

I have had great luck with aftermarket burners with most being bought for $18 to $22 per set shipped. The RCP grates and flavorizer bars explain the high price tag. I have both for my Genesis 1000. You pay for them, but it is tough to find better quality.

I'm making progress, albeit slowly and all due to the help on this forum. I've cleaned up the lid, degreased and the grill is largely in pieces, save for the frame which is in one piece. As others have documented, the screw on the left of the firebox is a bear. I hit with PBlaster and it eventually came off. The firebox is removal from the frame, but the remainder of the screw is in the frame. Once I remove it, I'm going to replace with stainless and use never seize. Q: What drill bit should I use to remove the remainder of the bolt? Will I be replacing with the same size bolt?

How hard is it to take the frame apart? I've got a few rusted bolts, which I'd like to replace. The axle connecting the two wheels is rusted. Is that a part I can track down?

Are most people pulling the stickers off and creating new stickers or just going without them?

The frame does have some areas of rust, namely one spot under the manifold where the wing nut connects to the firebox. Leave as is?

Thanks in advance. Lots of work done thus far. I'm excited to move to the paint and rebuild phase. I've got a shelf filled with new parts just waiting for a painted grill. I also need to source my wood and stain/spar.

Taking the frame apart is an exercise in patience. Sometimes it goes flawlessly, other times the bolts or their internal threads are rusted. I'd advise taking it apart as minimally as possible to get what you need to do done, but I can't say I would fault you for taking it all the way apart. Mine has one helicoil in it for that reason, but it seems fine.

I lightly sanded the sides of the lid with 120 sandpaper and painted with satin high heat ultra. Not happy with the results. Should I have sanded more? Here's a close-up that accentuates it. When assembled, it's less bad. Before I finish up the job, I'd welcome any advice on fixing it.

https://imgur.com/a/d40tEn1

d40tEn1

I don’t think it looks all that bad. The original textured finish does pose a dilemma. You either go really easy and try to preserve it and repaint or you go the other route and use a cup brush on a grinder and wire brush it all to bare aluminum and paint with a smooth finish. There have been some very nice ones posted that have been done this way.

I did experiment one time with painting a layer of high heat black then coating with a layer of textured paint and then coating again with high heat black. I don’t know how this idea would hold up long term.

I did experiment one time with painting a layer of high heat black then coating with a layer of textured paint and then coating again with high heat black. I don’t know how this idea would hold up long term.
I keep wondering if dusting a freshly-painted piece with sand would work (to get it to stick to the sticky paint) and then putting a finish coat on top. Sand shouldn't have any temperature issues.

I suppose the most likely outcome would just be a big mess though.

I don’t think it looks all that bad. The original textured finish does pose a dilemma. You either go really easy and try to preserve it and repaint or you go the other route and use a cup brush on a grinder and wire brush it all to bare aluminum and paint with a smooth finish. There have been some very nice ones posted that have been done this way.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. Seeing some of the amazing work in this forum has me seeking perfection, when what I have is likely perfectly good enough. I'll likely keep it and keep moving forward. When you see it as a whole without any direct reflections, it looks better.

https://imgur.com/MklPDLS

My bolts should arrive tomorrow. Hoping I can manage to get the frame into this hole.

https://imgur.com/AgAWmXt

I'm finishing up my project. It's going to be both a pleasure and shame to cook on this thing when done. I've got a bit of a dilemma. I've got both side shelves done. Next up, I'm tackling the bottom shelf and the adjustable shelf. Here's the thing, I've got extra shelves. If you look at the original photo, there are two extra shelves on the bottom. Are these extras or should there be a place on the grill for them? I don't see them in the original manual.

NjQSyc4.jpg

Back