Need grill opinions

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
Looking to add either a OTG or a Performer. What are the thoughts between the two. Looking for any pros and cons of either. Thanks

Looking to add either a OTG or a Performer. What are the thoughts between the two. Looking for any pros and cons of either. Thanks

The Performer has a table and a trash can thing for charcoal storage, and some models have gas starter and maybe even a timer. Other than that they pretty much work the same.

My suggestion: buy them both !

im a purist. love the OTSs and OTGs, I have 9 total. half the size of performers (total storage space necc) but having said that I do admire the tables that the performers have -

hell, get both (you will eventually)...

don't lift the lid...

One thing that you may not notice is that the performer is taller.
I appreciate that as I'm fairly tall myself so I don't have to bend my back as much.

That's interesting Mike. Never really noticed that. Never stood next to two at the same time. Do you know the height difference?

Space is not a real issue for size. But I am scared;) that I will wind up with both at some point.

I know that I'm not exactly answering your question specifically but if you are willing to pay what a performer costs then I would suggest you think about the 26.75. They cost about the same. I have both. I find myself using the 26.75 90% of the time.

I did think about that for a short time, but I think it will be too big for my needs 95% of the time. These will be big enough.

I have one performer and 4 kettles.... If I could only have one it would be the Performer. Having that table, integrated charcoal storage bin and extra space underneath to store things are some really nice features that I wouldn't want to go without.

Tony, currently have a Genesis Silver B and a Jumbo Joe. Since using this site I have become more interesting in grilling with charcoal along with my gasser. The Jumbo Joe is great for taking places but don't really like using it at the house. Want a more "permanent" option for the yard.

That's the way I'm leaning Pete for those reasons. Did have a question about the charcoal bin. Is it weather proof or does the elements effect it in any way?

Did have a question about the charcoal bin. Is it weather proof or does the elements effect it in any way?

It's weatherproof - it's a fairly heavy duty plastic bin that tilts out from under the table and tilts back up under it. I believe the bin also has holes in the bottom of it in case any water did get in so it could drain away. I've had this performer for 3 years and generally keep it covered after grilling.... except when my good friend Johnny Walker drops by and spends a good part of the evening. Never ever had any moisture get in it.

I would recommend that if you do get the performer, that you store the charcoal IN its bag in the bin. You don't need to dump the charcoal into the bin; that does make a mess (did it for many years on my first performer). Also, the bin on the newer performers will accommodate a full 20lb bag.

Tony, currently have a Genesis Silver B and a Jumbo Joe. Since using this site I have become more interesting in grilling with charcoal along with my gasser. The Jumbo Joe is great for taking places but don't really like using it at the house. Want a more "permanent" option for the yard.

I am so ashamed of myself. I forgot to list my WSM 22.5. Going to have to go make something on it so her feelings aren't hurt for leaving her out.:eek:

I am so ashamed of myself. I forgot to list my WSM 22.5. Going to have to go make something on it so her feelings aren't hurt for leaving her out.:eek:

I think a performer would be good. Unless you get a great deal on a 22.5 otg.

I have both and I use the Performer 5 to 1 over the OTG and it is because
of the table, But I do have the OTG right next to the Performer so I can
(wait for it) use the table, and when I do a larger cook I have both going..

RBanks if it was me i would get the 26er its the perfect grill/smoker. I purchased a 26er late 09 or early 2010 and now my WSM and my 2 other 22" kettles sit idle.

Having a number of grills, including the 26er, I head to the Performer the most. Even using other grills, including the WSM's, the performer sees action for 1) starting the chimney 2) side table for food/utensils 3) smoke wood in the charcoal bin

So many member on here have said that if they could only have one grill, it would be the Performer.
I REALLY like my Performer, and started looking for one after I had an old 3-wheel kettle for a while. The gas ignition fires up the charcoal quickly and effortlessly, the work table is pretty much required when cooking (I mean, you HAVE to have somewhere to set things down) and the charcoal storage and the storage underneath, not to mention the easy mobility make it the grill to get. Now if only they offered one in the 26" size...

I picked up my Performer a few years ago off CL for $125;
If a meteorite smashed it today, I would purchase a new one immediately!

Some lefties complain about the way the lid lifts, but if placed in an open area, there's no reason you can't stand on the other side. :)

Back