Need an opinion

That is the issue that I wonder about. I know Weber worked hard back in the day to find the right angle for grease to run off but still sizzle.
For the gassers, I would agree. However, in the case of the SmokeFire (I know this is not the case we're discussing) I think the flavor bars were an afterthought and were simply repurposed from gassers. I'm betting upon final assembly, they looked into it, said it looks funny guys, and someone said, I know, lets put flavor bars in it. And the rest is history :)

Since they ride on elevated studs I would think you'll be OK flame-wise, as long as there is enough room for them to sit side-by-side and not block air flow too much.

Your test with the old and new bars sounds like a good idea. But I think I'd run two tests - one with all of the originals and one with all new. That way any cumulative temperature issues should show up.

Don't know if any of this kind of stock would help (depends on dimensions) but a while ago I bought some SS door way protectors for a project (got them on Amazon). I think they were 302 SS and two inches on a side. They were available in several sizes (up to six feet long). So you'd have to see what length gives the biggest bang for the buck in your application. Also available in 1.5 inch.

Picture here shows what the material looks like. I drilled all the holes - they come blank. For polished surface on the outside (grease side) you want "outside corners" (that's what these are). I would think that would drip better.

Of course the link at Amazon no longer works but a search for: "Stainless Steel Corner Guard 72” Long (Outside Corner)" brings them up. Just make sure the dimensions are what you want.
Those things look like just the ticket! Cut to fit, even with holes down low which would make them similar to the newest ones from Wolf

For the gassers, I would agree. However, in the case of the SmokeFire (I know this is not the case we're discussing) I think the flavor bars were an afterthought and were simply repurposed from gassers. I'm betting upon final assembly, they looked into it, said it looks funny guys, and someone said, I know, lets put flavor bars in it. And the rest is history :)
Probably some truth to that, but I did read where the Weber R&D people evaluated other pellet grills and concluded that they needed to open things up. Naturally, flavorizer bars came to their minds. It was an innovative approach, not without issues, but definitely upped the smoke flavor and bark capabilities when everything is working right. I base that on what others here have said, since I still am not a member of the club - yet anyway!

Back