Need Advice on Pizza Oven

I also bought a slew of the Pizzaques. I sold the frames for decent money but including the stones made the shipping too high so I kept them. Not sure what I'm going to do with the last 12 stones. (grin)

They're nice accessories but there is definitely a learning curve. The first few pizzas were done without a heat deflector and in trying to get the temperature up high enough, I melted the handle on my lid. Whoops! I tried the next two with HD foil and it worked MUCH better at cooking the top of the pizza before the bottom burnt..

I would strongly recommend getting some kind of heat deflector.

Thanks Phil,
I'm going to see if I can have my buddy cut me a disc about 3/16" thick but, I need to take a few measurements to determine the appropriate diameter, I know there have been several mentions of the proper size but, I've forgotten what that is. Anyone have that little pearl of wisdom handy?
Thanks in advance if you share!

I just measured my frame and it looks to be 22". It looks like 22 1/2" will fit under the lip of the lid.
I've never heard of a method of attaching the deflector to the frame but I'd consider some tabs on the deflector to keep it from sliding off when you lift the kettle lid. I also think I'd keep it as thin as possible to keep the weight down. HD foil held up to the heat so I'd imagine anything over 1/16" would work.

If your buddy wants to cut 2 disks, I think I know someone that would like to buy the second one. :)

I’ve cooked hundreds of pizzas on my big green eggs, and achieved what I thought was awesome pizza. Every one of the pizzas could not overcome what is common in nearly every pizza cooked in a grill: the heat comes from the bottom only. A big green egg can shift the balance a little by putting the pie up higher to the heat charged dome, but the balance still favors the bottom.

The second I cooked a pizza on my blackstone pizza oven, I was done cooking pizzas on my egg. The wood fired taste thing is overrated in my opinion. Proper heat balance with even char on the bottom AND top is better in my opinion. The pie only cooks 3 minutes in there anyway. I would very much recommend looking into the blackstone in addition to the other options.

I was thinking that the disc might do better just under the rim of the Pizzaque, 1/4x 20 studs set maybe 1/2" down, then the rim holds everything in place. Compromise on thickness at 1/8 (or see what he can scrounge?) if he can cut two, I'll let you know.

I was thinking that the disc might do better just under the rim of the Pizzaque, 1/4x 20 studs set maybe 1/2" down, then the rim holds everything in place. Compromise on thickness at 1/8 (or see what he can scrounge?) if he can cut two, I'll let you know.

This steel shop might already have the size you need - give them a call and tell them what you're looking for. I've bought a lot of steel (for a hobbyist), and I got a 12" round for a deflector for my homemade mini wsm. They're closed now but call mon-friday......it's stacked up outside by their will-call door

http://www.wasatchsteel.com/buy-steel/ (801) 486-4463

Probably only take a few minutes to talk, then you can call a steel shop near you for local pickup :)

The problem I see is that there isn't much room in there now and anything intruding on that space will make it too tight. I think they designed the sides short in order to compensate for the heat loss in the dome area but with a "lid" I'm thinking they could be taller and work fine.

I agree with John that the biggest failing on these types of cookers is charring the bottom before the edges of the pepperoni has a chance to cup and get crispy. I use my baskets to form a dam and keep the charcoal as far back in the kettle as I can. The pizza still needs to be rotated every 30 seconds or so and the small opening doesn't help with that especially if the pizza sticks to the stone.

Phil, I just met with my steel cutting friend, we shall see what happens. I’ll let you know when the deflector appears.
We both stood there and chatted about the thing for about half an hour. While we looked at it the idea to use the existing back two assembly screws, and adding two on either side of the opening which will sit almost right at the top of the insert. I’m not quite sure how to sort out how to ship one to you but, we can figure that out when the thing shows up.

I talked to a friend of mine last week and he "thinks" he might have a chunk of stainless he can cut so I think I'm taken care of. If you wind up with 2 I'll still take one if we can find a way to mail it.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Okey Dokey then, I will be looking forward to hearing your results! My guy is always “overextended” so, I have noooidea when these things might get done!

The best outdoor pizza oven for example like Charcoal is a wood-fired oven (WFO). The real “Neapolitan pizza must be done exclusively in a wood-fired oven which has reached the cooking temperature of 485°C or 905°F.” (Verace Pizza Napoletana – (Vera Pizza Napoletana) Method of Production).

And, besides very high temperature, there is also a unique way of heat transfer in WFO, which is important for cooking results. The real Neapolitan pizza, for example, must be cooked with three types of heat: radiant heat, conductive heat, and convective heat.

But, besides wonderful pizzas, in a wood-fired oven, you can bake and cook plenty of other foods.

The most known types of WFO are:

Brick ovens with:
half-spherical dome in two versions:
Tuscany dome (multi purpose oven)
Neapolitan dome ( designed especcially for pizza)
barrel vault in two versions:
Enclosed type
The open type
Brick ovens can be realized as:
Masonry made WFO
Modular Pizza Oven Kits
Assembled Ovens

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I’m so confused!
Actually Jess, thanks for the primer on WFO, I have a buddy whose built one at his cabin but, does not use it as much as he’d originally hoped, (can’t get away) I think one might be fun but, I know I would not use it enough to justify the construction. Good little piece of information to have!

I recently bought a second hand uuni 3.
Haven't posted any pictures as it isn't a weber....
I had been looking at building a wood fired oven, electric pizza gadgets, kettle pizza, pizza pronto etc.
I figured I was not going to use a proper wood fired oven often enough to justify having one. I am more of a spur of the moment person. I am sure I would use it for pizza, but then I would feel I have to bake bread with the remaining heat, make casseroles, dry fruits and veges and I only have 1 stomach.
The electric options were discarded as I am in the process of buying some land and there is no electicity around. So a bit daft to go for electric
I didn't like the guy selling the pizza pronto, so that one was gone as well.
Hence the uuni (I actually first bought a uuni 1, then a uuni 3 and sold the uuni 1 for the same price as I bought it for).

I am very happy with the uuni 3.
I have managed to find wood pellets here. They are not as good as the ones I can get in Europe, but they work. Just need to change the technique a bit.
There is also a gas burner attachment for the uuni. I have it, but haven't used it yet.

I have no experience with the kettle pizza, but I would recommend you have a look at the uuni 3, the uuni pro (bigger and takes more types of fuel) and the roccbox

Back