Need a little help, powder coat, paint question.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
My table on my SmokeFire is rusting in spots, I wanted to get it powder coated today but when he asked about the heat it might see he thought it would be too high for powder coat. Any thoughts on how much heat a SmokeFire table might see?
Should I try and sand it down and use high temp paint? Any thoughts would be great.
07BD3450-D68D-489E-B809-C7F63EC68939.jpeg

Bruno,

I can't imagine that it would see much heat at all, though I don't know how yours is connected to the grill and if there's any airflow between them. Assuming that yours is painted, I would think that it should hold up fine to powdercoat, in my opinion. Remember the one that the guy Dave made on here out of wood, and Lew has a wooden one as well. I'm pretty sure that my PitBoss and that my past ZGrill were powdercoated, and obviously the bodies and lids are going to get hotter than a shelf, and they are of course fine. Perhaps there is a high heat version of powercoating for this specific operation?

Charlie

I don't have any experience with this but all I know is when I crank the SF temp to 500-600 I worry my pants are gonna catch fire when I stand in front of it!

If you have a laser therm crank it up to 600 and give it 20 minutes with the shelf up. Then check the temp at the back edge of the shelf. If you don't have a therm then let me know and I'll check mine tomorrow. Wood ignites at a little above 400 and I haven't heard of anyone setting their wood shelf on fire. I'm willing to gamble with mine because I think the air gap and air movement between the shelf and cook body protects the shelf from extreme heat. How high of a temperature is he saying the powder coat is the limit?

They make a high temperature powder coat good to 1000 degrees. Alesta silicone powder, it's specifically recommended for exterior parts of grills. For regular powders I think 250 degrees is the rated temperature with peaks of 350-400 for short times. I had a friend with a powder coating shop and I'd help him out there from time to time when he got busy, so I'm no expert.

Last edited:
If you have a laser therm crank it up to 600 and give it 20 minutes with the shelf up. Then check the temp at the back edge of the shelf. If you don't have a therm then let me know and I'll check mine tomorrow. Wood ignites at a little above 400 and I haven't heard of anyone setting their wood shelf on fire. I'm willing to gamble with mine because I think the air gap and air movement between the shelf and cook body protects the shelf from extreme heat. How high of a temperature is he saying the powder coat is the limit?
Lew he said 400, I’m thinking I probably should have just gone for it. I do get smoke out of my lid and moisture but now I’m thinking it is probably less than 400. ?

Lew he said 400, I’m thinking I probably should have just gone for it. I do get smoke out of my lid and moisture but now I’m thinking it is probably less than 400. ?
Bruno, I just finished running the test. The air gap between my shelf and the cooking body is 5/8". Outside temp was 85 with no wind. I checked the temp of the back edge of the wood after 30 minutes at 600 degrees. Max temp of the wood was 285. It was hot to the touch but no charring or discoloration. Now we know.

Bruno, I just finished running the test. The air gap between my shelf and the cooking body is 5/8". Outside temp was 85 with no wind. I checked the temp of the back edge of the wood after 30 minutes at 600 degrees. Max temp of the wood was 285. It was hot to the touch but no charring or discoloration. Now we know.
Lew you are AWESOME!! thank you!!

That is absolutely an option.
I don't think so and have used that paint the problem with spray paint is its to thin a coat no matter how much you spray it and actually putting stuff on it like dishes or metal trays like cooking sheets which I put my ribs on whatever I doubt it would hold up. Did you buy that from Weber I would be on the phone with them and get that replaced. Absurd that you bought it from them and its rusting already, I have a metal performer table at least 3 years old there is no rust at all but its not getting near anything like a 600 degree temp to the bowl.

Brian,
I think that was an early non-Weber product. (Let us know for sure on that, Bruno.) Weber's shelves - they come as a pair - are some type of stainless. High heat paint works great for something like the exterior of a firebox on a Genesis where it is not subjected to constant wear. I agree with you that no spray paint is likely to hold up in this application.

Honestly, Bruno, before I would pay to have that powder coated I would look at the options for a stainless shelf or even a wood one. New powder coating won't be cheap and eventually will fail again. A shelf like that takes a lot of heavy use, so to me stainless - no rust and can be scratched without real harm - or wood - kind of like a butcher block as it picks up "patina" - would be better choices.

I have one that is bubbling with rust. Came from the “Fire Ring Guy”. Think it’s the same one as Bruno’s.

Back