National Pig Day 3/1. Lets celebrate.

There are two butts <STRIKE>thawing</STRIKE> thawed, and resting in my refrigerator right now, <STRIKE>and two varieties of Wolfe Rub in the cabinet waiting for them</STRIKE> wearing a nice coat of Wolfe Rub. I didn't know it was National Pig Day, but I'm willing to celebrate. And see the Big Bad Wolfe get the two little pigs.
icon_biggrin.gif

Granted, our mode of celebration probably won't get us any "Certificate of Participation" from the zoo folks.

Final report: two butts turned into pulled pork, and a third one made into sausage. Happy Pig Day!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brian lanius:
Saturday 3/1 is National Pig Day

What are you doing to celebrate? I'm thinking of baby backs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wife had asked that I smoke a butt on Saturday so this will coincide with National Pig Day perfectly. Let’s Eat!

I did my second smoke ever...4 lb picnic.

I used this for the rub:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard

I don't know if I followed it exactly ... but if I did I realize why it was so hot now. 1 tablespoon of cayenne
icon_eek.gif
seems a bit much for my taste.

and this for the sauce:
1 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
1/4 c ketchup
2 t worchestershire sauce
1 T dark brown sugar
1/2 t cayenne peper
1 t fresh ground black pepper
1 t salt

But I added about another 1/4 c ketchup and a T of regular sugar. It was really vinegary so I need to tweek them or find some others that I like better. Anyways I used some cherry wood on my charcoal and smoke ring on my pork went in about 2 - 2 1/2 inches it was pretty dang good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brian lanius:
Saturday 3/1 is National Pig Day

What are you doing to celebrate? I'm thinking of baby backs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Brian, how did your baby backs turn out? I put my pork butt on at 6am and we were eating at 9pm...mmmmmmmmmm...gooood!

Baby Backs were good. Maybe just a pinch too much salt in the rub. I used Basil, White Oak and Cherry for the smoke wood. My kids lick the bones clean.

I've always put butt on the about 11:00-midnight the night before. Even if it finishes early, two hours wrapped in foil and a towel inside a cooler never hurts it. What temp did you cook at?

Baby Backs were good. Maybe just a pinch too much salt in the rub. I used Basil, White Oak and Cherry for the smoke wood. My kids lick the bones clean.

I've always put butt on the about 11:00-midnight the night before. Even if it finishes early, two hours wrapped in foil and a towel inside a cooler never hurts it. What temp did you cook at? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My temp was very steady at the 225 range. I did crank it up a tad near the end as we were getting hungry. Next one I do I'm going to try and start it at midnight.

Back