Name of propane adapter

That's a valid point on getting the old nipple out of the manifold without damage really not had thought of that, on mine it was pretty easy but I can see where that might not always be the case.

I have removed several of them and never had a problem, but on a couple, I remember thinking I should maybe stop and try something else, just before they broke free. After 25 years, they must get pretty set in place sometimes and since they are brass, they are not the hardest metal. If they do fail when trying to remove them, you are probably looking at a whole new manifold.

And one other valid point. The old style regulators are FAR better than buying a new one. The new ones are Chinese, cheaply made, trip the safety device very easily. Old ones made in USA, they just flat "work" and no safety valve BS. I'll take putting a new fitting on an old regulator EVERY time

Chiku, I have no idea why its doing that lets see if someone chimes in.

At the worst you spend the 16 bucks get the new adapter and regulator and hopefully you are good. If for some reason you ever need a new regulator down the road you will be able to swap it out with a stock regulator.

If you decide to do that the 1/8 male piece threads should be coated with this then screwed into the manifold the flare side do not put anything on that.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009PU9CK/tvwb-20

Yep, if you have a leak in the regulator, then you need both parts you linked to above. The hose and regulator as well as the adapter.

Are you sure it is leaking? If you put some water with a little dish soap in a spray bottle, you can hook up the hose to the propane and then turn it on and spray it with the water. It will bubble if there is indeed a leak there. But, if you are sure it is leaking, replace it with the two items you linked above.

Yep, if you have a leak in the regulator, then you need both parts you linked to above. The hose and regulator as well as the adapter.

Are you sure it is leaking? If you put some water with a little dish soap in a spray bottle, you can hook up the hose to the propane and then turn it on and spray it with the water. It will bubble if there is indeed a leak there. But, if you are sure it is leaking, replace it with the two items you linked above.

Bruce

Here is the quick video I recorded out of my regulator with leaking noise

Last edited:
Yah, that ain't good. You should just replace the hose and regulator. Then get the adapter and you are set.

Yah, that one should work. It looks like it has the correct fitting to go directly into the Genesis manifold. I suspect that is an old Weber hose and regulator.

And actually, I think the one above it would work as well. You would just have to remove that last adapter on it and it should be a direct fit as well.

I have never seen one of the old regulators fail. But than I guess anything can happen. Honestly I would go with a more updated type then. Using the 1/8" NPT to 3/8" flare as than if you ever do need another change it's so much simpler. On small gas fittings (under 1/2") I recommend using gas certified PTFE thread sealant rather than tape and on 1/2" and up use PTFE certified PTFE tape.

I have never seen one of the old regulators fail. But than I guess anything can happen. Honestly I would go with a more updated type then. Using the 1/8" NPT to 3/8" flare as than if you ever do need another change it's so much simpler. On small gas fittings (under 1/2") I recommend using gas certified PTFE thread sealant rather than tape and on 1/2" and up use PTFE certified PTFE tape.

Which one you are suggesting Larry from above picture? Or you saying get the adapters/new hose + regulator as Brian / Bruce suggested (Their links in my earlier post)

Which one you are suggesting Larry from above picture? Or you saying get the adapters/new hose + regulator as Brian / Bruce suggested (Their links in my earlier post)

Go with the adapter and new unit. At least it will be on modern fitting standards and swapping one will be MUCH easier to do and to find

I just bought a new propane hose with regulator and quick connect for my Genesis 1000. However, it looks like the older Genesis grills will require some sort of adapter. Can anyone tell me the specific name/size of adapter I will need? I have a Home Depot and Menards in driving distance and I was hoping to know exactly what I needed when I got there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Here is a photo of the new hose with regulator and the fitting on the grill.

gFbEMZr.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just in case someone else has this same question, the answer is you need a brass 3/8" Male Flare x 1/8" Male NPT adapter.
I have a Weber Genesis 1000 (a.k.a. big red) PN: 211001 LP grill which I purchased in 1996. Let me start by commending Weber for making such a great quality grill; made in the USA. I have not had any issues with the grill until 2019. After connecting the grill’s hose-regulator to the propane tank (i.e. quick disconnect fittings) and opening the propane tank valve, propane started to whistle/leak through a pin hole relief port on the regulator. I quickly shut off the propane tank and started my debugging.

DEBUG: I disconnected and inspected the propane tank connector to insure that there was not obstruction in the female connector. I checked the grill’s hose for cracks and found none. I then reseated the connection to the propane tank and the propane still leaked out of the regulator relief valve.

On the weber website, I found the grill schematics. There are only three parts between the propane tank and the flame;
1. Hose/regulator w/ quick disconnect connector.
2. Manifold (manifold, valves, and ignitor).
3. Three burner assembly

With all of the Weber’s three burner valves in the shut-off position propane should not leak. So, I reasoned that the issue was caused by a bad rhose/egulator and not by a clogged burner, or bad manifold.

On this model, the burner assembly has a brass male to female nut. The hose - regulator has a 3/8” male pipe fitting to a male Quick Disconnect propane fitting. Since the industry has changed over to the MCC1 propane fittings, I decided that this was a good opportunity to change over, as it is very hard to refill my tank. The local Webbers distributors (Ace, Home Depot, and Lowes) only carried hose - regulator with a 3/8” male pipe fitting to a MCC1 propane fitting. Instead of changing the manifold’s brass fitting I decided to look on Amazon for a hose - regulator with the correct fittings (i.e. Weber PN: 7503). Note: weber no longer stocks this part. I was able to find the correct part for less than $20 (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075R73GRY/tvwb-20).

INSTALLATION: I removed the old hose - regulator with a 3/8” open ended box wrench. I applied “T plus 2” non stick PTFE thread sealant by ReactorSeal (i.e. Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorS...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100116773-_-N) on the threads of the grill-side hose fitting of the new hose -regulator. This insures an air tight seal for gas and liquid connections. Only 10 minutes to install and now the grill is working!

Back