N code Jumbo Joe Platinum

I had a JJ and sold it, biggest grilling mistake I've ever made. It was perfect for two people. Big enough to do two zone cooking, easy to clean and easy on charcoal. Still looking for another one.

Grate cooker. My go-to 18.5" grill.
I installed a temp gauge on the vent wheel so I could see the temp at the cooking grate.

screenshot_08.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent cooker. I have two of them. High heat can be a bit of a challenge with the vents being off to the sides and not the bottom. If you crack the lid to one side though it helps a lot.

Excellent cooker. I have two of them. High heat can be a bit of a challenge with the vents being off to the sides and not the bottom. If you crack the lid to one side though it helps a lot.
Missing one of the side dampers, do you know if the side dampers on the smokey joe premium fits?

Missing one of the side dampers, do you know if the side dampers on the smokey joe premium fits?
I can’t confirm since I don’t have a Smokey Joe Premium. However based on the parts list from eReplacement Part it appears to be the same. You can’t order the damper alone but you can get the damper and lid bale together. https://www.ereplacementparts.com/wire-lid-lockbowl-dampers-p-1475822.html but the bail would not fit. Really with a small piece of mild aluminum strap and a drill you likely could mold and make your own.

Rich I have one I rarely use
Unfortunately the bowl dampers have been discontinued for a number of years. The Smokey Joe Premium locking wire bale and dampers link is for the 14” version.

Here are the model #s for the grill as well as parts. The cooking grate is also smaller than a standard 18” kettle and current Jumbo Joe. Cooking and Charcoal Grates are still available from Weber last time I checked. You would need to fab an aluminum bowl damper.

Older Jumbo Joe Outrider/Smokey Joe Platinum 18”

#51001 1990-1999
#51020 2000-2006

Charcoal Grate. 66913
Cooking Grate. 7440 and 65949
Lid Lock Support. 86821
Lid Lock Wire. 86824
Bowl Damper for Lid Lock. 86822

Enjoy! As Rich said it is great for 2 zone and also low and slow.

I had a JJ and sold it, biggest grilling mistake I've ever made. It was perfect for two people. Big enough to do two zone cooking, easy to clean and easy on charcoal. Still looking for another one.
JJ is extremely underrated grill, I’m an advocate too! Cooks the best steaks too IMO, better than my Performer or any variation of the WSM.

In a pinch I’ve loaded it down for indirect cooking and had great luck.

Back