Myron Mixon's new book " Keto BBQ "

Speaking of this, I took pulled pork to a church group last night and decided to pick up some sauces. The Moon’s AL White sauce has 1 g carb while the no sugar Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory has 4 g. I found both to be excellent.

Speaking of this, I took pulled pork to a church group last night and decided to pick up some sauces. The Moon’s AL White sauce has 1 g carb while the no sugar Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory has 4 g. I found both to be excellent.

Yes on the Sweet Baby Ray's , I found the Original No Sugar Added and its a good substitute. I'm still looking for the Hickory. I've been looking for the catch , there's gotta be one in there somewhere, its too good.

I also found Sweet Baby Ray's No Sugar Honey Mustard, they call it a dipping sauce , but I use it as a salad dressing and its 1 net carb to 2 TBS.

I'm not gonna worry about sugar in rubs.

Mrs Dollar has lost 6 #'s in the first 7 days. I've lost 2# and I'm sure that was all water weight, as I'm drinking water like a fish. Our diets have been almost the same exact I eat more than she does.

Had our first chaffles this morning. They were really good, 3 carbs, 6 with no sugar syrup. Looked like a waffle, almost tasted like a waffle. And the variations are endless.

20210530_085501.jpg

The guy who gave Mixon's book a 1 star critical review, also does a podcast on his YTube channel. And he ripped Myron right and left, called him an over rated jerk. Tore into Mixon's personality and the book.

I'd bet there's a lot of the cast of BBQ Pitmasters who are regretting listening to the director of the show wanting them to be braggerts, trash talk, be egotistical, and very contentious. Many have said since, that it was all part of the shows schtick. Then along comes guys like Serious Keto.

And I guess Myron winning Memphis in May a couple weeks ago, did not impress Serious Keto, who recommends his own rub and sauce recipes over Myrons.

Trying to be fair, the book does have shortcomings. Some of the recipes are confusing. We tried a couple that just weren't very good and were hard to make. The whole monk fruit sweetener thing is terribly wrong.

We've moved on to other sources of recipes and info on keto, but if not for this book, we'd not attempted the diet .... period. Myron made it sound doable. This Serious Keto guy is a keto snob. There's others like him. They can make this diet so damn complicated ( notice the Myron touch there ) that nobody would want to try the damn diet. Its not a damn life style , its a diet ;)

Vid should start with his review ...

Well ......... evidently, Mrs Dollar and I are not doing keto correctly or we've stalled out. She's lost 15 #. I've lost 20# . But her weight loss stopped about 3 weeks ago. I've been continuing to lose weight, but I think most of my weight loss has been due to putting at least 50 miles per week on the bicycle.

My neighbor is a fitness buff, he tells me people he knows on keto lose weight for a while, but then stall and have to do something else. I'm wondering if we're not there , now. Or else we're not watching calories along with our carbs. Keeping the carbs low is pretty easy, gets a bit more complicated when also lowering calories.

I had planned to stay with this till Labor Day, that would be about 4 months. But I think I can get back to a regular diet and still lose weight by riding the bicycle.

BTW, I bought Head Country's sugar free barbecue sauce and its good. I like it a little better than Ray's Hickory, which is a lot better than Ray's Original sugar free.

We've also discovered hard seltzers. They have low carb and low calorie. Sonic Drive In has collaborated with a local brewer to release a hard seltzer series that we like. It has 1 carb per 12 oz, with 100 calories , and a whopping 5% ABV . I think its only available in 5 states and we have a hard time finding it here and this is where Sonics HQ are located.

Mrs Dollar also likes Kansas City brewer, Boulevard Brewing's hard seltzer Quirk.

Me, I'd rather have a good ale or a stout, looking forward to drinking some soon but I'm gonna be drinking more of the low carb beers.

I've been on this low carb diet for four months now and I've reached a final opinion on Mixon's book. Its a waste of money.

Mrs Dollar and I rapidly progressed past the basics in the book. She found a lot more help and more recipes searching the internet, primarily YouTube.

But this weekend, I dug Myron's book out because I'm looking for a good low carb barbecue sauce. I made Myrons " Sweet and Tangy " sauce. And it came out more like paste than a sauce and did not have good flavor. And the big problem with a lot of his recipes popped up, and that's how much monk fruit sweetener to use. The amount he calls for is ridiculous, and the reader is left on their own to figure it out.

I'm done with it. Don't waste your money. The only thing it did for me was encourage me to give low carb dieting a try.

What's this term " dirty keto " ?

The whole keto lifestyle/diet is rife with misinformation, but I like to summarize it as good keto and bad keto.

Good keto, your diet is pretty well filled with high quality meat (grass fed beef, pasture raised pork, eggs, poultry, lamb etc) and loaded with lots of leafy green veggies, low carb veggies, and supplemented with butters (grass fed preferably), olive oil, avocado oil etc. Meals are large salads and lots of vegetables (but keeping carbs low - you actually have to watch your carb count with some veggies) and fatty meats etc. Lots of little add-ons here and there that add to things. You are trying to get maximum nutrition as a goal with everything you eat.

"Bad" keto, what some call dirty keto, is the "lazy", and sometimes cheaper way to do it as well. Go to McDonalds and order a double cheeseburger and don't eat the bun. Too much bacon and processed meats, "poor" quality fats....basically very low carb, but also tends to be too short in healthy fats, nutrients etc. Quick/easy. Might have a salad, but using store-bought salad dressing that is low carb, but also unhealthy fats (canola oil etc)

You can lose weight on both, but I think it is pretty obvious which one is better and healthier.

For me, simply counting calories works. It's harder than it sounds. But you learn quickly how many calories are in the food and portions you are used to eating. I didn't deprive myself of much. I went to restaurants, but generally ate half of the serving and took the other half home. I drank beer and ate burgers, just less of them. When you count calories, you also notice any snacking and quickly note how much it contributes to your daily intake. Calories in, calories out.

The whole keto lifestyle/diet is rife with misinformation, but I like to summarize it as good keto and bad keto.

Good keto, your diet is pretty well filled with high quality meat (grass fed beef, pasture raised pork, eggs, poultry, lamb etc) and loaded with lots of leafy green veggies, low carb veggies, and supplemented with butters (grass fed preferably), olive oil, avocado oil etc. Meals are large salads and lots of vegetables (but keeping carbs low - you actually have to watch your carb count with some veggies) and fatty meats etc. Lots of little add-ons here and there that add to things. You are trying to get maximum nutrition as a goal with everything you eat.

"Bad" keto, what some call dirty keto, is the "lazy", and sometimes cheaper way to do it as well. Go to McDonalds and order a double cheeseburger and don't eat the bun. Too much bacon and processed meats, "poor" quality fats....basically very low carb, but also tends to be too short in healthy fats, nutrients etc. Quick/easy. Might have a salad, but using store-bought salad dressing that is low carb, but also unhealthy fats (canola oil etc)

You can lose weight on both, but I think it is pretty obvious which one is better and healthier.

All I care about is losing weight. I'm not gonna be on this diet the rest of my life. Its not sustainable for me. Too many good beers I want to drink. Too much good food I want to eat.

I've lost 25#'s but have pretty much hit the wall for the past month. Weight loss has really slowed down. I'm not long for the " keto lifestyle " .

And really, I got back on my bicycle last June. Started riding 50 miles per week. I'm now up to 80 to 90 miles per week. And I think most of my weight loss has been due to the riding the bike. I don't need the keto.

Lots of amazing information in both these fellows YouTube channels...

I've watched a ton of YT vids on keto including Dr Ekberg. There's many doctors on YT talking about keto, don't know what kind of doctors they are if they're monetizing their vids, but there's plenty of diet advise. And they make it far more complicated and harder than I'm interested in. At that point , it no longer fits into barbecue , which means its not gonna last with me. Barbecue is huge part of my life and my happiness.

And I've discovered an entire cottage industry built around keto. All these YT keto people are churning out monetized vids so they can get their checks from Google and also getting a cut of product sales ( " link provided below, just enter code ..... " )

Grass fed beef sucks. I want grass raised , grain finished, because I want the marbling in my beef. Fat = flavor. And I don't want to stress over every ingredient in the food I'm eating. I bought two Creekstone prime briskets yesterday and I'm not gonna worry about how healthy they are. I'm gonna smoke'em and enjoy'em .

Bottom line, I've not been a happy person since I started this. But I needed to lose some weight. Whenever Mrs Dollar hits her weight loss goal I'll be done with it, my only concern will be keeping the weight off when I return to eating good barbecue and drinking good beers. I don't have that many years left to not be happy.

Back