My Second Smoke Help

Eric Lee

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Last year the summer flew by and I only got to use my new WSM 18 once. Pork butt came out pretty bad, I think ran it way too hot and for some reason I thought I would over smoke it and it ended up we could hardly taste any smoke flavor. I used apple and cherry wood. So i'm wondering this time around, should I try a butt again or ribs? my wife has been nudging me for brisket but I'm scared to try one. What should I do?

Also wondering if you can suggest a good mail order sauce, I bought one last year that just had too much cayenne, it was all heat. I think I prefer those orange/reddish thin Carolina type sauces.

Thanks,
Eric

Only once? What happened during the winter:eek:

I would go after pork again. Where abouts are you. We have a good supply shop here in the twin cities. Quetopia bbq

I would try pork again as well. Butts are very forgiving. Ribs are great to as long as you are able to watch your temp more. I use the 3-2-1 method to great success. Or 2.5-1-.5to 1 for baby backs. Not sure where you are, but I heard good things about quetopia if your in the cities.

Eric,
Totally agree with going the Boston Butt, again. For sauce, Blues Hog's Carolina Red is our go to for pulled pork.

Thanks for all your replies, yeah I'm in St Paul. So Ted Cook's is where I go when I want take out. I like that sauce. I'm wondering, should I use Kingsford lump or briquettes? thanks

I also recommend a boston butt. It is by far the easiest meat to cook in my opinion. Since apple/cherry didn't give you enough smoke last time, I'd try maybe going 50/50 with hickory and apple to see how you like that. If it's still not enough, go all hickory next time.

Since it sounds like you are relatively new to using the WSM, I would definitely suggest Kingsford briquettes. It is easier to keep a steady, constant temp with briquettes.

Hi all,

Last year the summer flew by and I only got to use my new WSM 18 once. Pork butt came out pretty bad, I think ran it way too hot and for some reason I thought I would over smoke it and it ended up we could hardly taste any smoke flavor. I used apple and cherry wood. So i'm wondering this time around, should I try a butt again or ribs? my wife has been nudging me for brisket but I'm scared to try one. What should I do?

Also wondering if you can suggest a good mail order sauce, I bought one last year that just had too much cayenne, it was all heat. I think I prefer those orange/reddish thin Carolina type sauces.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

So sorry you're not getting much hang-time with your WSM. I'd recommend trying another butt, like a lot of the responses you're getting. I've had great results with partial butts I've been getting at several local outlets - Kowalski's, Coborn's, Korte's (Randolph and Hamline). They've got more surface area than a whole butt, so it's easy to get just the right amount of rub and smoke on them, and they cook faster. I do 3 or 4 or 5 of them at a time.

Also, if your pit ran really hot it may have burned up your smoke wood - which would explain the over-doneness and lack of smoke flavor. I usually run mine at 225 degrees with plenty of hickory until they hit 170 degrees or so, and then foil them until they hit 205 or 210. At that point, they're pretty much liquid, and will be really moist and easy to pull. Butts are pretty flexible as far as pit temp goes. You can run them hotter (to a point, anyway) if you want to shorten the cook time. You can also smoke them on the WSM to 170 or so and then finish them in foil or a roasting pan in the oven if that's more convenient for you. We won't tell anyone, and they'll taste just as good.

My go-to sauce for butts is Wee Willy's Original recipe, and it's widely available at the stores I mentioned above and probably elsewhere here in the Twin Cities. They also have a North Carolina style sauce that I like a lot. When the butts are ready to pull, I put some butter in a sauce pan (roughly 1 Tbsp for every pound of meat) on low heat. I pull the meat into the pan with the butter and stir it up until it's coated. Then I hit it with the sauce and let the whole mess simmer real slow for a half-hour or so to soften the bark and get the smoky stuff distributed around.

Give it another go, and let us know how it turns out.

Here's a couple I did recently:
pork_butt1_small_zps73184d6a.jpg

try the butt again, run it at 250 til done. Use water in pan if temps are running away on you. Find a spice shop or order offline and make your own rubs.

I tried apple wood when I first got my WSM, but found it to be too mild for my tastes. I haven't used any in years. Hickory is my favorite for pork. Pecan is also great.

As for sauce, consider No.5 Sauce. Its great and very easy to make. It has a thin consistency that works well with pulled pork.

Briskets can be frustrating. A very common mistake with briskets is taking them off too early. Then, they are tough and dry. Look for a brisket to jiggle like jello when its done. I've found 203 degrees to be a good internal temp, but always feel for the jiggle.

I've been using a variation on this North Carolina PP for 10+ years, it's from the BBQ Bible. It's also the reason my wife broke down and bought me a WSM.

Rub: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/North-Carolina-Pulled-Pork-242247
Sauce: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vinegar-Sauce-242391

My first couple of times I did it exactly as it said, but now I've tweaked it over the years. I use the minion method and cook it at 225-250 until 195 or higher internal. Use a couple of good size chunks of apple or cherry. Follow this link and scroll down to the 'fire up the cooker section' and you'll be good.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

Last edited:
I know Moore's BBQ sauce from New Bern is great, and I have an order coming from Hawk Sauce BBQ but haven't tried it yet. Both of these are authentic sauces based in Eastern North Carolina and they both ship.

Back