My opus on tongs...

I have that Weber removable center grate. I’m confident the Winco tongs can handle your grate movement. Your grate appears thinner than the one on the E6 thus it’s lighter weight too (I’m guessing here).
The 22 inch grate in the pic is thinner than most. I guess I get what I paid for ( which was zero).

I also wrangle around grates on my BGE and they are 18 inch, but the 18 inch cast iron grate is pretty heavy and when I move that I use tongs, a fork and leather gloves because it weighs a lot.

I’ve got welding gloves for that and for moving a hot grate
I have a very close friend and have personally witnessed this guy grab the grate handles from a Weber kettle grill grate and take the grate off while still cooking over hot coals. Don't ask me how he does it. He's like asbestos.

While I don't really need another pair of tongs, let alone two, I couldn't resist something that appears so sturdy at such a good price. Plus I had an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my virtual pocket. They should be here tomorrow. The shorter ones should be good for serving salad.

While I don't really need another pair of tongs, let alone two, I couldn't resist something that appears so sturdy at such a good price. Plus I had an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my virtual pocket. They should be here tomorrow. The shorter ones should be good for serving salad.
Yeah, I’ve got tongs “like Carters has pills” as my father used to say, I’ve been tossing the idea about just getting a set at that price!

My Babish tongs just arrived. Aside from the wasted packaging -- tongs inside a box inside another box inside a bag -- they're awesome. Very sturdy. I think I read at Amazon the stainless steel is 1.3mm thick. I put a bit of effort into try to bend the business end where it's just the flat steel and I couldn't budge it. With the handles of the same material rolled twice on each edge you'd need a hammer and an anvil to bend them.

For the money they seem a great deal. The only obvious drawback is they can't be used on non-stick cookware.

We have several sets of the spring-loaded tongs. They're great for serving salad. But for cooking on the grill or smoker I use an ancient set of Ekco tongs like these. I have had them for decades (literally); the rivet wore out probably 30 years ago, and was replaced with a nut and bolt.
Vintage-EKCO-USA-10-3-4-Hot-Dog-Tongs.jpg

We have several sets of the spring-loaded tongs. They're great for serving salad. But for cooking on the grill or smoker I use an ancient set of Ekco tongs like these. I have had them for decades (literally); the rivet wore out probably 30 years ago, and was replaced with a nut and bolt.
View attachment 42990
I have some just like that I use to arrange coals on the grill. They sit out in the weather all year. They're getting rusty and squeak like an old gate hinge every time I open or close them, but they still do the job.

How do you even deal with those?!
I have small hands. Also, these tongs are exquisite in their simplicity. After 30 years they are like a natural extension of my hand. They don't require me to exert any force against a spring. They are less likely to slip out of wet or greasy hands. They fit perfectly into the top of my vertical poultry rack
s-l400.jpg
creating a secure handle for lifting and moving the birdie before, during, or after cooking. Shall I go on? 😁

I have small hands. Also, these tongs are exquisite in their simplicity. After 30 years they are like a natural extension of my hand. They don't require me to exert any force against a spring. They are less likely to slip out of wet or greasy hands. They fit perfectly into the top of my vertical poultry rack
View attachment 43268
creating a secure handle for lifting and moving the birdie before, during, or after cooking. Shall I go on? 😁
you know what they say about people with small hands.

they wear small gloves.

Update on the Babish tongs, turns out the wife prefers cleaning these big time compared to my Weber tongs, she asked me to order another set, so I did.
Sturdy, well made $14, a win.

Anyone here get invited to Weber's anniversary party?

I guess Sisqo is going to play his hit, Tong Song.

This thread may have turned into tong jokes, but I feel like I owe Mike Lucky some props, at first these seemed small to me but every time I used them I was impressed, sturdy, good spring action.
I had picked up a couple charbroil spatula tong sets on sale at Target last winter and these things looked heavy duty, I tied them this weekend and they are crap, barely open and stiff.
Made me realize how nice the Babish set is for the price.

Back