My Mods

Mike DiMaggio

TVWBB Member
Here are some pics of the mods I have made to my 22.5". Most came from this website. Let me know what you think.

Here is the 22.5" in her glory

IMG_6058_zps61e392b0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3 1/2" heavy duty, lockable wheels.

Stainless Steel Door. What a difference it makes!!!

Grommet for Therm. (Nice chip.....dam it)

Handles and magnets. More on the magnets to follow.

Nomex gasket. Another must to seal.

This is where the magnets come in. I put 2 magnets under the handle and attached this piece of flat metal that I bent to hold the maverick. Works like a charm and keeps it away from the heat.

The only thing left to figure out is a lid holder. To me this is the biggest pain in the arse. I have seen a couple ideas but none that really look great. If anybody has an idea that works that maybe I missed please share.

Thanks guys. I thought about the sheperds hook and that may to be what I do. I wanted to try and figure out maybe a way to make the lid a flip up. Still working on that.

Yea i saw the hinge top and thought it was awesome. My only concern about doing it is the stability of the unit once its done. The lid is pretty heavy and being on wheels it loses a little stability to begin with.

Thanks Gene. Heres a fathers day platter I put together. Did a pork butt, brisket flat and some sausages. All came out excellent.

771837A0-0C23-4231-989B-FA21FF77BC83-18134-00000C95C9A65326_zpscbf7d0dc.jpg

The only thing left to figure out is a lid holder. To me this is the biggest pain in the arse. I have seen a couple ideas but none that really look great. If anybody has an idea that works that maybe I missed please share.

in my opinion, THIS IS THE BEST lid hanging modification .... I did this to my 1st 18"WSM and yet to do it to my 22" and the used 18"WSM I picked up.

If you can find a Weber Slide-a Side lid holder for the Kettles, with a little tweaking they work great on WSM's.
This is one of my 18's. My 22 is set up the same way. When open it is not "Top Heavy" at all. Another nice thing about this Mod is, everything stores inside the smoker when not in use and it allows the use of a cover with no interference.
DSCN3673.JPG

Back